+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NCAA's

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

NCAA's

I will loosely follow Southern Miss., but think I am going to cheer on the first TRUE Cinderella in the NCAA's. I just finished reading all about Florida Gulf Coast University. That is the most amazing rise of a university that I have read - not just their athletics, but the entire school. Built on wetlands from scratch just 16 years ago and changing Presidents in 1999 to start putting them in the mainstream of education. Now 20,000 strong and in the Sweet 16 in bball in their first year of D1 basketball. They are the first 15 seed ever to make the S16. Yeah, they will be my team for a little while. :icon_wink:

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: NCAA's

Built the school for the sole purpose of creating a basketball program.

At least, that's what many are saying. I don't know...

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

I am excited about Wichita State.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

I haven't heard that. It started out as a mostly online school. They looked into football, but it was too costly and would take away funds from what they wanted to build in basketball, though.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

That was just an attempt to tie them to the silly Conan basketball team thing.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    That was just an attempt to tie them to the silly Conan basketball team thing.
    It is believable, actually, after seeing their success so quickly.

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

i graduated HS about 15 miles from FGCU.

of course the university didn't exist when i graduated HS or else i may have considered going there. SW FL had been pushing to get a university for 20 years before FGCU was built. it was the largest population base in FL without a 4 year university in the nearby area (not even any private schools back then). the closest schools were USF, UM, and Nova Southeastern. each were 2.5-3 hours away at least. it took Ben Hill Griffin III donating the land for the school before it could happen.

the school opened its doors in '97 to students. athletics didn't happen for 5 more years.

the school was started so the SW FL students wouldn't have to leave the area to go to a 4 year university. basketball was not in the equation at first.

+ Reply to Thread