+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turkey Season 2013

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Turkey Season 2013

watch'a got?

in san antonio at a friend of a friends ranch. when we walked in this morning group of gobblers was hammering down off the property. got set up in a bottle neck between a fence and a mini mountain in hope of them funneling through. not long after it got light i saw a group of prob 12-14 hens land on the other side of the field from us. never saw them after that. gobblers didnt make a sound once on the ground. about an hour after sunrise a trio of gobblers showed themselves on the other side of the fence. they made their way to the fence and went through it. thought it was hogwire, later confirmed. they never got closer than 100yds and headed on up the mini mountain. never heard another thing from them. before we left went to check out the fence and sure enough, there was a huge hole cut in the hogwire when they crossed. in the morning we may have a little road block for them. gonna be sitting on their trail about midway up the mini mountain. think bonnie and clyde

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Turkey Season 2013

Opening day of the youth hunt was windy, cloudy, and low pressure after having perfect conditions all week. We didn't hear a peep. We didn't go last weekend because the forcast wasn't good. It has been too cold so far this week. Not that they wouldn't gobble, but I just don't like to turkey hunt with a frost on the ground.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Opening day of the youth hunt was windy, cloudy, and low pressure after having perfect conditions all week. We didn't hear a peep. We didn't go last weekend because the forcast wasn't good. It has been too cold so far this week. Not that they wouldn't gobble, but I just don't like to turkey hunt with a frost on the ground.
    have a friend thats a pretty big turkey hunter there in lincoln parish. said he's heard three gobbles thsi year. two were right before he shot this morning LOL he said its been tough finding anything. Brendan got drawn for the Union WMA youth hunt the first weekend in April. hopefully if this doesnt workout tomorrow he'll get a chance then. he was still pumped about today. saw three huge gobblers and a ton of hens and a ton of deer.

well, got to the place this morning with plan in place. well, that is until I openned the truck door and heard the first gobble from the east treeline. well, wasnt that FRIST gobble but it was after it was followed by a trio of toms tearing it up in this big oak. walked around the field and down the fence line to within 80 yrds of the tree they were in. felt i had to do that because if they hit that field without us being close it would be over before it began. after sitting on a sticker bush, yes, everything in texas either sticks ya or bites ya, we got settled in and listend to the show. i have NEVER heard the gobbling that came out of that tree this morning. got light enough and we could see the turkeys in the tree. told brendan, when it happens, its gonna happen quick. the first hen floated to the ground immediately followed by the first gobbler. they were actually about 30 yards out but so dark couldnt make out much. then the other hens, about 15-18 of them suckers hit the field with the other two toms right behind them. all toms were blown up when they hit the ground and never came out of their struts. the first tom moved on off with the first hen and the others just stayed out about 50 yds or so. told brendan i was gonna have to try something so i hit the slate call. all the hens in teh big group started coming my way and the two toms kinda fell in behind them, but, the lead hen stopped out about 15 yards or so and the others stopped with her. this had the toms within 40 yrds or so. they finally moved back and it was obvious the toms were moving away also. told Brendan that we were just gonna have to try a shot next time one turned toward us where we could see his head. one finally did and he fired his shot. he just didnt have enough fire power for the distance we tried at and we didnt get the tom. making a positive out of a negative he commented and laught about what that group looked like after he shot. he compared it to when a drop of water hits the surface of a water body and the water aroudn it splashes up in every direction. he said just like that turkeys jumped up everywhere, and, they certainly did. it was pretty funny after the fact. it was a great experience, the result wasnt what we wanted, but, the time shared you cant put a price on.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Great story Chou. We had a good hunt Friday morning w/out a kill. The bird worked pretty good, but never got him in close enough. He wasn't henned up, but I think he had been worked before based on the way he acted.

+ Reply to Thread