+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pac-12 head of refs offers incentives then denies

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Pac-12 head of refs offers incentives then denies

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Several people have come out, including this lame-brained commissioner, and verified that he did say it and that it was repeated at a second meeting. Most basketball/referee people who have been interviewed about this said that even if it was a joke, he should be let go. By telling them what to do, he is also telling them that they will not get good assignments if they do not do what he tells them to do. Every interview I have seen agrees with that, whether he was joking or not. It is also a fact that Miller had not been given a technical foul all season, and everyone says that giving technicals was out of character for this official.

If I were Coach Miller, I would also appeal the $25K fine and let it be known publicly that I was doing so. Make them answer questions publicly.
    That is my thought. The PAC12 may want to quietly revoke the fine. Ed Rush was a doucher in the NBA, hard to think any change in behavior now. The savvy PAC 12 commissioner never should have hired Rush with his track record. I think Rush has been on the job less than a year. I should be fun watching this, but I guess the Rutgers stuff will divert attention for awhile.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Several people have come out, including this lame-brained commissioner, and verified that he did say it and that it was repeated at a second meeting. Most basketball/referee people who have been interviewed about this said that even if it was a joke, he should be let go. By telling them what to do, he is also telling them that they will not get good assignments if they do not do what he tells them to do. Every interview I have seen agrees with that, whether he was joking or not. It is also a fact that Miller had not been given a technical foul all season, and everyone says that giving technicals was out of character for this official.

If I were Coach Miller, I would also appeal the $25K fine and let it be known publicly that I was doing so. Make them answer questions publicly.
    Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. I understand that he said it, what I don't know for sure is if he said it in jest or if there was really a "bounty." I understand your points and agree that he should probably be let go either way.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Ed Rush thanking his lucky media stars for the breaking Rutgers story.
    So much for Rush having more than a standard 24-hour news cycle.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt he said it in jest, but even so, its out of bounds and unacceptable for the head of officials.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Thank you for this insight into the premeditation and discussion held by officials.
    Seriously? It's not premeditation. It's called preparation. I can't speak for all officials, but I never go into a game thinking I'm going to give a technical. However, you better believe I've done my homework on what I should expect from the coaches and how I should react to them. The same with the teams. If I've called a team before, I know what to expect with its style of play. If I haven't, I'm trying to find out. I don't want to be unprepared when I walk on the floor and look like a fool. Trust me, I do a good enough job on my own of looking like a fool. I don't need to aid that. You called me naive, T-mo. Apparently, you're the one who's naive if you think that's not good business practice on behalf of officials.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    Seriously? It's not premeditation. It's called preparation. I can't speak for all officials, but I never go into a game thinking I'm going to give a technical. However, you better believe I've done my homework on what I should expect from the coaches and how I should react to them. The same with the teams. If I've called a team before, I know what to expect with its style of play. If I haven't, I'm trying to find out. I don't want to be unprepared when I walk on the floor and look like a fool. Trust me, I do a good enough job on my own of looking like a fool. I don't need to aid that. You called me naive, T-mo. Apparently, you're the one who's naive if you think that's not good business practice on behalf of officials.
    Planting the thought that a coach should get a technical is not acceptable. Apparently he is such a difficult coach he gets them all the time- oh wait, that was his only one of the year. Hmmm, I am sure the comment had nothing to do with it- sure.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    Planting the thought that a coach should get a technical is not acceptable. Apparently he is such a difficult coach he gets them all the time- oh wait, that was his only one of the year. Hmmm, I am sure the comment had nothing to do with it- sure.
    THIS

To theprofessor: This PAC-12 news story DOES NOT help the basketball officiating fraternity/sorority. Deny/spin all you want.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    THIS

To theprofessor: This PAC-12 news story DOES NOT help the basketball officiating fraternity/sorority. Deny/spin all you want.
    I've never said it does, and I haven't defended it -- if the story from one unnamed source is accurate. However, I also don't think it's any concern for my original interaction to have occurred. That's typical pre-game management. I have a problem if one coach is targeted. I don't have a problem if the rules are enforced for every team.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Re: Pac-12 head of refs offers incentives then denie

He gone
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I have a feeling this is going to get bigger in the next week or two. Since Commissioner Scott didn't have the backbone to fire a guy who needed to be fired, I still think he could go.

The Pac-12 has taken a pretty big PR hit and the presidents have got to be pretty PO'd about how this was handled.

At least Rush is gone. That's good.

I have a feeling this is going to get bigger in the next week or two. Since Commissioner Scott didn't have the backbone to fire a guy who needed to be fired, I still think he could go.

The Pac-12 has taken a pretty big PR hit and the presidents have got to be pretty PO'd about how this was handled.

At least Rush is gone. That's good.
    You think? LOL!

+ Reply to Thread