+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Ruston/LaTech.

Puppy futuretechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her game

Tell me about Ruston/LaTech.

I've got a daughter graduating from high school this year and have begun the process of looking at/applying to colleges with her. It appears in my research that she would be eligible for a full scholarship including room and board from LaTech (3.77 unweighted gpa/4.1 weighted and a 32 ACT with a retake scheduled for the end of the month). To be honest I had never really considered Tech before but seeing a free education from there as a possibility we are now considering it, we actually applied online last night along with a couple of other schools. We live in south Louisiana and I honestly don't think I've ever been to Ruston in my entire life so I'm curious as to the user's thoughts on Ruston and LaTech? Would you consider LaTech a nice campus/comparable to LSU? Is Ruston a safe town? How similar to New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Shreveport would it be with respect to there are ALOT of areas that you need to stay out of? What residence hall should she be angling for and any other insider tips would also be appreciated. I realize that these are alot of questions and I would be scheduling a campus visit before she went to school there but would like to hear the board's thoughts, TIA.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: Tell me about Ruston/LaTech.

Ruston is very safe, especially in comparison to Shreveport, New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

What does your daughter plan to study?

Puppy futuretechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her game

Well right now she says music, yuckk, dad says you don't make up your mind till you've been in school a year (I'm hoping it doesn't stick). I suppose it's ok if it really makes her happy but it certainly doesn't make dad happy!

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

My years at Tech were a long time ago, so some of the younger folks wil do much better answering your specific questions. I will speak in generalities. Ruston is the sort of town I would feel comfortable sending my child for their college education. Much safer than big cities. Great campus. Housing options are so much better with the campus apartments, but I think the dorms are still used, and I am not sure if seniority comes in to play.

I have never regretted my decision to choose Tech. I came down from Arkansas, absolutely loved my time at Tech, and 35 years after graduation continue to attend as many Tech events as I can.

Tech is NOT like LSU...in many ways that is very good, in other ways it is not. Bottom line... I think you get every bit as good an education at Tech, and there is plenty for students to do to experience the college life, if they choose to stay on campus on weekends and attend the special events.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Don't let her go into music unless she is CERTAIN she will stick with it. Very little of it will transfer over if she changes later.

Speaking from experience here.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like she's eligible for the Presidential Scholarship. This covers the dorms, classes, and meals, but does not cover the apartments or books. Is she gunning for the Honors Program? If so, she can get priority housing in the Honors Apartments, which are a bit more expensive, but a lot nicer. They're just over the railroad tracks from Wyly Tower. Also, then she'll be rooming with other Honors students.
    There's plenty to do within walking/2m driving distance. I'd feel secure walking around most parts of town (tho everywhere has THAT part of town). Ruston is a very old-soul town, lots of friendly people.

I'm currently a junior, so I've been around the quad a few times. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. Here's hopin we get another Bulldawg!

Champ garddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to behold

This weekend is the UNLV game. It would probably a perfect Saturday to go up for a visit. You will be surprised at what they don't tell you in South Louisiana.

She's got a band competition so this Saturday is out. Blue Dawg, we haven't really looked into the honors program yet. One thing I've learned is that those students usually get nicer dorms.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by futuretechdad? View Post
    She's got a band competition so this Saturday is out. Blue Dawg, we haven't really looked into the honors program yet. One thing I've learned is that those students usually get nicer dorms.
    The real perk is early registration (and Orientation), before anyone else. I highly encourage it for that reason. Also, with no numbers, she'll basically just have to walk into the office and put her name down.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

"Time Out for Tech" is October 20th. Y'all will need to pre-register. It will be a great way for y'all to learn about Tech and Ruston. We play Idaho that day.

There was actually a "college fair" day at her school yesterday and Tech had a representative there and we got a number to set up an individual campus visit. I really need to research the honors program.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ruston is a college town in the best sense of the word. The University (always referenced with a capital T and U) is the heartbeat of the community and influences just about everything in DawgTown. Think Oxford, Starkville...think Ruston. All similarly-sized cities, non-"metro" so you don't have as much competition for the attention of your student as say, Baton Rouge. Shreveport/Bossier is a super-easy hour west for more of the larger city amenities. It really all depends on what you and your daughter expect her college experience to be.

In recent years, Ruston has developed quite nicely with a new movie theatre, many new restaurants, and even some decent live music events at a place called Rabb's Steakhouse. I think just last week they had a concert with country music star Chris Young.

I personally LOVE Ruston...to me, it's one of the most beautiful "college towns" around.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    Ruston is a college town in the best sense of the word. The University (always referenced with a capital T and U) is the heartbeat of the community and influences just about everything in DawgTown. Think Oxford, Starkville...think Ruston. All similarly-sized cities, non-"metro" so you don't have as much competition for the attention of your student as say, Baton Rouge. It really all depends on what you and your daughter expect her college experience to be.

In recent years, Ruston has developed quite nicely with a new movie theatre, many new restaurants, and even some decent live music events at a place called Rabb's Steakhouse. I think just last week they had a concert with country music star Chris Young.

I personally LOVE Ruston...to me, it's one of the most beautiful "college" towns around.
    Rabb's has big name country stars just about on a weekly basis.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

You would be hard-pressed to find a better town to send your kid.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Will she be interested in joining the Marching Band at Tech? If so, I would recommend giving Jim Robken a call. 318-257-4233 He is the Director of Bands.

I was in the band for 5 years at Louisiana Tech and it was some of the best times of my life.

+ Reply to Thread