+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FBS conference realignment likely over for next decade

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

FBS conference realignment likely over for next decade

Sports Illustrated: ACC Grant of Rights should halt conference realignment

The Sporting News: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says

NBC Sports: Why major conference realignment may be over for the foreseeable future

It looks like Benson's next invite could be the last FBS conference move for the next decade.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 04-23-2013 at 08:19 PM.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: FBS conference realignment likely over for next decade

I think this is good. It'll give us a chance to solidify and get in a position to move if expansion ever opens up again.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

We get into CUSA by the skin of our teeth, now let's make a tremendous amour of progress for the next ten years.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2013/05/01/penn-state-bill-obrien-talks-big-ten-scholarship-reductions/2127077/

I
    haven't seen this posted here, but there was an extensive discussion on O'Brien's comments on yesterday's ESPN College Football Live. McMurphy indicated that, if the Big 10 were talking to schools, it would most likely be Missouri and UConn. The one thing I do know about the Big 10's situation is the fact Fox, which owns 49% of the Big 10 Network, has been putting pressure on them to get to at least 16 as long ago as 2009. They will get to 16. It's only a matter of when.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2013/05/01/penn-state-bill-obrien-talks-big-ten-scholarship-reductions/2127077/

I
    haven't seen this posted here, but there was an extensive discussion on O'Brien's comments on yesterday's ESPN College Football Live. McMurphy indicated that, if the Big 10 were talking to schools, it would most likely be Missouri and UConn. The one thing I do know about the Big 10's situation is the fact Fox, which owns 49% of the Big 10 Network, has been putting pressure on them to get to at least 16 as long ago as 2009. They will get to 16. It's only a matter of when.
    To follow-up on this post from May 4, Dennis Dodd had this blurb in his column this week:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...son-media-days

"Big Ten expansion: It isn't done. That's about all I can say. Hint: The conference will begin negotiating on a new TV deal next year. The current contract expires in 2016. Definitely stay tuned."

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

To follow-up on this post from May 4, Dennis Dodd had this blurb in his column this week:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...son-media-days

"Big Ten expansion: It isn't done. That's about all I can say. Hint: The conference will begin negotiating on a new TV deal next year. The current contract expires in 2016. Definitely stay tuned."

Schools like Kansas, Georgia Tech, and UNC have been mentioned in the past. They are members of theAssoc. of American Universities. I could see Kansas wanting to bail on the Big12. Georgia Tech would probably jump. I couldnt imagine UNC leaving but we have seen stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by JAY View Post
    Schools like Kansas, Georgia Tech, and UNC have been mentioned in the past. They are members of theAssoc. of American Universities. I could see Kansas wanting to bail on the Big12. Georgia Tech would probably jump. I couldnt imagine UNC leaving but we have seen stranger.
    Keep in mind, both the Big 12 and ACC have Grant of Rights deals that will keep those schools where they are. That's why Missouri and UConn were mentioned back in May. They are two of a very few number of viable options left for the Big 10.

At this time last year, it appeared everything was quiet. We now know there were ongoing discussions between the Big 10 and both Rutgers and Maryland. I suspect that's what's now happening. One or two Big 10 presidents, along with senior Big 10 staff, in discussions with a very small number of schools and a select number of individuals within those institutions.
    Last edited by The Historian; 08-03-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Missouri would probably leave the SEC to join the Big 10, a conference they campaigned for when Nebraska got in. They're a misfit in the SEC east. ACC schools aren't going to pay out 50 million to join another conference.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

One or two Big 10 presidents, along with senior Big 10 staff, in discussions with a very small number of schools and a select number of individuals within those institutions.
    Assuming that ACC & Big12 teams are off the table, Mizzu & UConn seem like the most obvious candidates. But I wouldn't rule out Vandy or Kentucky. And if AAU membership is a priority, could Buffalo be in play?

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Assuming that ACC & Big12 teams are off the table, Mizzu & UConn seem like the most obvious candidates. But I wouldn't rule out Vandy or Kentucky. And if AAU membership is a priority, could Buffalo be in play?
    No, but Buffalo could be in play for the American.

It looks like their only realistic candidates would be Mizzou, Vandy, and UConn.

Gordon Gee already admitted it was a mistake to not invite Mizzou and Kansas sooner, and Mizzou definitely wanted the Big Ten over the SEC.

I think there would be mutual interest with Mizzou, but would Slive put in a grant of rights before the Big Ten strikes? I don't know.

I don't think Vandy would leave the SEC, but maybe they would.

I don't think UConn would get enough support from the Big Ten presidents. Remember UConn wasn't even good enough for the ACC.

Would the Big Ten take Kansas with the Big 12's grant of rights in place or an ACC or two with the ACC grant of rights in place? I just don't see the benefit for the Big Ten or the BTN.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 08-03-2013 at 11:51 AM.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Buffalo has 28,601 students, a USNWR national ranking of #106, and an endowment of $736.2 million. While these numbers would put Buffalo in the low end of the Big Ten, they are somewhat comparable to UCONN and Missouri. I doubt the Big Ten would pick Buffalo as a new member, but Buffalo joining the Big Ten wouldn't be a complete joke like the University of Lafayette trying to join the Big XII.

It would surprise me if Missouri turns down the Big 10 if offered. Even if the SEC is able to generate the type of money the Big 10 generates on the athletic side, the Big 10's academic consortium could help generate tens of millions more per year for Missouri on the academic side. Maybe even more than that. It could also help elevate Missouri into Top 50 university status.

I also think Vandy is a possibility. Even though Gordon Gee has been ousted at Ohio State as president, he is still on the faculty and is still a major power broker. His ties to Vanderbilt make that move more of a possibility.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Keep in mind, both the Big 12 and ACC have Grant of Rights deals that will keep those schools where they are.

Where there are lawyers and enough "want to" there is a way to leave....did not say it would be cheap (or probable, just remotely possible).

Article from April about how schools might still jump if the price was right.

http://www.cornnation.com/2013/4/23/...ce-realignment
    Last edited by hookdown; 08-03-2013 at 04:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread