+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest a lake for boating vacation

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: Suggest a lake for boating vacation

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    We loved hamilton and may end up back there. We are told that conroe' water level is low now causing issues parking the boat at the condo/houses. Evidently there are very few floating docks and you need a ladder to get out of your boat.
    If you consider Hamilton, I'd like to recommend http://www.longislandlakeresort.com/index.html . John Hodges is General Manager and a family friend. He'll might cut you a better rate if you mention my name and recommendation. That might work for anybody on BB&B.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Spent a lot of time on Lake Ouachita as a kid and then as a summer camp counselor. Really awesome, IMO. I do not know about lodging. It is only about 40 minutes from Hot Springs.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

After talking to some folks about the TX lakes, i think we gonna head back to hamilton. Water levels are a concern in tx now so odds are july wont be any better. The lakes arent dry but they are 3-4 ft below normal and this could prevent me from docking my boat in front of the condo.

Dawgpix, thanks but we checked their dates and they are booked the time we plan to go.

This year i think we will spend a day on ouachita and degray.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

After talking to some folks about the TX lakes, i think we gonna head back to hamilton. Water levels are a concern in tx now so odds are july wont be any better. The lakes arent dry but they are 3-4 ft below normal and this could prevent me from docking my boat in front of the condo.

Dawgpix, thanks but we checked their dates and they are booked the time we plan to go.

This year i think we will spend a day on ouachita and degray.
    Good for you. Make sure you get a tamale spread at McClard's BBQ.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update for anyone considering this trip.

We got lucky with the weather i guess. A cool front moved in and dropped temps into the 60s at night and mid 80s for highs. We were actually very cold in the early am hrs after getting out of the water. Temps gradually warmed as the week passed.

I advise avoiding hamilton during the 4th holiday. Way too many boats, way too many idiots. Thank goodness we have divided highways and traffic laws. Unbelievable, some of the things i saw boat drivers do.

I knew it would be busy but never expected this many boats. Thankfully they are a late awakening crowd, so we head out about 7am do our skiing/boarding and come in for breakfast about 9. Very few boats and lower wind conditions.

Its been a nice trip but i think we will look elsewhere next year or avoid the 4th of july holiday for sure.

Just an update for anyone considering this trip.

We got lucky with the weather i guess. A cool front moved in and dropped temps into the 60s at night and mid 80s for highs. We were actually very cold in the early am hrs after getting out of the water. Temps gradually warmed as the week passed.

I advise avoiding hamilton during the 4th holiday. Way too many boats, way too many idiots. Thank goodness we have divided highways and traffic laws. Unbelievable, some of the things i saw boat drivers do.

I knew it would be busy but never expected this many boats. Thankfully they are a late awakening crowd, so we head out about 7am do our skiing/boarding and come in for breakfast about 9. Very few boats and lower wind conditions.

Its been a nice trip but i think we will look elsewhere next year or avoid the 4th of july holiday for sure.
    Oh, wow. Well, yeah.
    Never go to the Spa on the 4th holiday . . . or Labor Day weekend. It's horrendous.
    Never saw that date in your posts or I would not have endorsed he idea. Any other time it's tolerable.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

It's a little farther for you, but from Central Arkansas when you don't go to Hot Springs to go "to the lake" you go to Greers Ferry. Probably just as crowded on the 4th as Hot Springs, but you could also fish in the Little Red.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

We were in a condo on Hamilton Wednesday-Saturday. It was CRAZY out on the lake.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    It's a little farther for you, but from Central Arkansas when you don't go to Hot Springs to go "to the lake" you go to Greers Ferry. Probably just as crowded on the 4th as Hot Springs, but you could also fish in the Little Red.
    A friend from the Malibu forum is at Greers Ferry this week. I think he knew something I didn't . If it weren't for everything that Hot Springs offers in addition to the lake, we could just go to north LA for better skiing, boarding etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    We were in a condo on Hamilton Wednesday-Saturday. It was CRAZY out on the lake.
    The only time in my life I have been intimidated by boat traffic.

I actually witnessed a guy trying to teach a kid to ski while pulling him across the channel (and flow of traffic). I would compare this to a chicken trying to cross an interstate with a rope tied to his butt. For the life of me I couldn't understand why something in that guys brain didn't tell him "this isn't a good idea". Had I been with the water patrol I would have shut him down and given him a sobriety test. After a half dozen pulls they gave up and left.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I actually witnessed a guy trying to teach a kid to ski while pulling him across the channel (and flow of traffic). I would compare this to a chicken trying to cross an interstate with a rope tied to his butt. For the life of me I couldn't understand why something in that guys brain didn't tell him "this isn't a good idea". Had I been with the water patrol I would have shut him down and given him a sobriety test. After a half dozen pulls they gave up and left.
    Lake Hamilton is a good lake to ride around on at night, because the thousands of lights around the shore give you enough light to see and get bearings. But be sure and have your proper equipment. I sat on our condo balcony Friday night and watched the blue lights pull over boat after boat. We had to leave Saturday. I bet it was nuts on the lake following the Saturday night fireworks.
    Good old Memorial Gym

I would have sent him up Hamilton to Little Mazarn . . . the Ouachita River towards Blakely Dam. Smoothest water most of the day to learn skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    I would have sent him up Hamilton to Little Mazarn . . . the Ouachita River towards Blakely Dam. Smoothest water most of the day to learn skiing.
    No doubt that would have been better, although there is sometimes a lot of boat traffic up that way in the hot afternoons of summer as people ride up there to experience the unbelievably cool air produced by the hydro generation using water off the bottom of Lake Ouachita. But last week with it being so unseasonably cool the turbines at Blakely were probably not running.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    No doubt that would have been better, although there is sometimes a lot of boat traffic up that way in the hot afternoons of summer as people ride up there to experience the unbelievably cool air produced by the hydro generation using water off the bottom of Lake Ouachita. But last week with it being so unseasonably cool the turbines at Blakely were probably not running.
    Copy that. Caught my first trout below the Blakey generators.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Copy that. Caught my first trout below the Blakey generators.
    I caught a few bass and my first Chain Pickerel at Echo Canyon just above Blakely Dam this past weekend.

+ Reply to Thread