+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: La Tech: The Fresno State of CUSA

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: La Tech: The Fresno State of CUSA

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    It appears that one of them got into a fight with her friend at her apartment 2 years ago and hasn't been in trouble since. The other was in trouble last year, when a teammate held up a knife to a guy and she hit the guy. None of the articles go deeper than that and none are ineligible to play. In fact, one was never even suspended from her team.

Not saying these are model citizens, but if these were guys, this wouldn't be near as big of a deal. I hope they have their life together. They obviously meet admission standards. I just hope this gives them a fresh start and I will be supportive of them, unless they mess up.

There is nothing that shows Spoon can handle problem players. She suspended one quickly for rules violations and, then, had a no tolerance policy and kicked her off the team. Long had problems with players. I haven't seen that from Spoon. She is pretty no-nonsense.
    One was never suspended from her team? Both charges were made after their seasons were over, and both girls transferred after each incident.

Spoon is no-nonsense and has a zero tolerance policy? Kiara Young got arrested for shoplifting on a road trip to Hawaii, and Spoon didn't kick her off the team. Young was who instigated the fight at the TAC against Fresno State. Spoon failed to turn around Shelton. I don't know what happened with Shelton at Clemson, but after being given a second chance by Spoon, Shelton was still a problem at Tech. So Spoon does not have a good track record with these types of players.

I disagree 100% with your statement about if these were guys it wouldn't be near as big a deal. It doesn't matter whether they are guys or girls. They are representatives of Louisiana Tech. Spoon should not be bringing in players who have been in trouble with the law. With so few scholarships available each year, you can't afford to miss on players in basketball. Surely Spoon can find 3-4 players each year who are good citizens. We should have a higher standard than this.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 05-05-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    It appears that one of them got into a fight with her friend at her apartment 2 years ago and hasn't been in trouble since. The other was in trouble last year, when a teammate held up a knife to a guy and she hit the guy. None of the articles go deeper than that and none are ineligible to play. In fact, one was never even suspended from her team.

Not saying these are model citizens, but if these were guys, this wouldn't be near as big of a deal. I hope they have their life together. They obviously meet admission standards. I just hope this gives them a fresh start and I will be supportive of them, unless they mess up.

There is nothing that shows Spoon can handle problem players. She suspended one quickly for rules violations and, then, had a no tolerance policy and kicked her off the team. Long had problems with players. I haven't seen that from Spoon. She is pretty no-nonsense.
    I had the same thought. When football players have had discipline issues or rule violations at other schools, I've heard some of our fans say we should bring them to Ruston and offer them a chance to start over in a supportive environment. I say we do the same for these young ladies.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Is this the news Phil was referring to? The "big news" that some of us would supposedly think was the death of the program?

There is nothing wrong with running a program that rehabilitates talented players who made mistakes. In fact, I think that would be a great program. That program would likely not attract top-tier talent as the top-100 recruit and her parents would likely choose to attend a school with players who had not demonstrated aggressive behavior patterns, both verbal and physical.

Did Savanna Langston's parents or Kiwi's parents or Whitney's parents or any of other parents of any of the players know when their daughters signed to play with La Tech that Coach Spoon would decide to recruit players with reputations for causing problems? How could they have known that at Louisiana Tech the program would change direction with regard to recruitment of student athletes? I am not implying that any of those parents have any objections. Simply illustrating my point.

Nothing against the new recruits themselves, of course. They would not be eligible for recruitment had they not paid the price for their mistakes. I wish them the best and hope their experience at La. Tech is a great one. That said, it is a new direction for the Lady Techsters, one that will change the face of the program in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. Don't look for any top-100 or top-200 recruits heading your way. Tech had very little to offer when it came to reasons for top players to sign, and now Spoon has added reasons for top players NOT to sign. To some, it is more of the same. Questionable decision-making. Had more, or any, of her previous questionable decisions paid off, perhaps more of us would be willing to hold off on casting doubt.

Is it the death of the program? Of course not. That was last season. Program is dead, for all intents and purposes. This is Spoon's first attempt, of what is likely to be many dramatic attempts this season, at reviving it. This is of course only an opinion.

Champ bulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

I am going to beat this drum until i am proven wrong or she is fired. I think she is the wrong leader and i see her making questionable decisions.

Puppy SEHarshaw is a jewel in the roughSEHarshaw is a jewel in the roughSEHarshaw is a jewel in the roughSEHarshaw is a jewel in the roughSEHarshaw is a jewel in the roughSEHarshaw is a jewel in the roughSEHarshaw is a jewel in the roughSEHarshaw is a jewel in the roughSEHarshaw is a jewel in the roughSEHarshaw is a jewel in the roughSEHarshaw is a jewel in the rough

I coached against C. Walters and while she is a great athlete and dynamic type player she does have(or at least HAD) some serious attitude problems. She actually left UofA and went to University of Central AR for a very short time where she got dismissed from there as well bc of attitude issues. I know she has had some serious home life issues so hopefully she has matured and has learned. Fact is some kids need more than just a second chance... sad but reality in this day and age.

My big concern is that La Tech is seemingly recruiting one guard after another after another. The bigs being signed are not powerful bigs but more like tall forwards instead of power post. Whitney was not groomed to be a PF in D1 college but that is where she is having to play bc she is the strongest (at 5'10") and most aggressive that they have available bc they are so guard heavy and all their 6'2+ players are not really post players and quite physically weak to play down low on either end of the court. I now have a legit 6'3 1/2" power post. While she is not a top 100 and does need a bit of development she is now being seriously looked at by Arkansas, Ole Miss, Alabama, UALR, UCA, etc and she actually wants to really look at Tech but my messages to the basketball office have not been returned so that has kinda rubbed her the wrong way so.....
    Anyway hope these girls work out but Tech needs more bigs and not the same type of guards year after year.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by SEHarshaw View Post
    I coached against C. Walters and while she is a great athlete and dynamic type player she does have(or at least HAD) some serious attitude problems. She actually left UofA and went to University of Central AR for a very short time where she got dismissed from there as well bc of attitude issues. I know she has had some serious home life issues so hopefully she has matured and has learned. Fact is some kids need more than just a second chance... sad but reality in this day and age.

My big concern is that La Tech is seemingly recruiting one guard after another after another. The bigs being signed are not powerful bigs but more like tall forwards instead of power post. Whitney was not groomed to be a PF in D1 college but that is where she is having to play bc she is the strongest (at 5'10") and most aggressive that they have available bc they are so guard heavy and all their 6'2+ players are not really post players and quite physically weak to play down low on either end of the court. I now have a legit 6'3 1/2" power post. While she is not a top 100 and does need a bit of development she is now being seriously looked at by Arkansas, Ole Miss, Alabama, UALR, UCA, etc and she actually wants to really look at Tech but my messages to the basketball office have not been returned so that has kinda rubbed her the wrong way so.....
    Anyway hope these girls work out but Tech needs more bigs and not the same type of guards year after year.
    Spoon is recruiting herself.

Champ bulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Spoon is a fool if she is not returning high school coaches calls.

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=SEHarshaw;1351431
    ]I coached against C. Walters and while she is a great athlete and dynamic type player she does have(or at least HAD) some serious attitude..."
    Everyone want's to complain about the Techsters not so great season and calling for TSpoon's to be axed! But when she recruits a player that can play, everyone seems to find problems with the players!
    Since your all the judge and jury, why don't you allsit back and get all the facts and see if the young Techsters have what it take to be a Techster and perhaps they might put together a strong atheletic team that can compete!
    DI WBB is no longer for the meek and timit folks
    Their stronger, atheletic, and more physical!
    Hat's off to TSpoon for picking up a great player!
    PS Coach, always good to hear from you here on the site!
    Hopefully The staff will be checkingout your Big there as well!

Big Dog ACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to all

At this point, Spoon should only be adding individuals that can contribute immediately. Hopefully, these two young ladies were brought in because Spoon feels that one or both could take over at the point guard position. I agree with coach Harshaw, Whitney Frazier is a small forward. Ideally, Wingate will be healthy and handle the power forward position allowing whitney to play the 3. That leaves point guard, shooting guard and Center positions open. I have heard that one of the coaching positions have been filled; however, I do not have a name nor do I know when Spoon will make the announcement. Liberty training camp opened last week, so I would imagine that she is in New York right now.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

I think is an excellent premise; but, this demands close evaluation and control - for the good of all involved, and that means these young women, Tech, and everyone Tech.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    One was never suspended from her team? Both charges were made after their seasons were over, and both girls transferred after each incident.

Spoon is no-nonsense and has a zero tolerance policy? Kiara Young got arrested for shoplifting on a road trip to Hawaii, and Spoon didn't kick her off the team. Young was who instigated the fight at the TAC against Fresno State. Spoon failed to turn around Shelton. I don't know what happened with Shelton at Clemson, but after being given a second chance by Spoon, Shelton was still a problem at Tech. So Spoon does not have a good track record with these types of players.

I disagree 100% with your statement about if these were guys it wouldn't be near as big a deal. It doesn't matter whether they are guys or girls. They are representatives of Louisiana Tech. Spoon should not be bringing in players who have been in trouble with the law. With so few scholarships available each year, you can't afford to miss on players in basketball. Surely Spoon can find 3-4 players each year who are good citizens. We should have a higher standard than this.
    You are right on here. I laugh at the hypocracy with those that laugh at thugs from other schools. This is ridiculous! It just shows how low we have fallen and that no one in the administration cares. What happened to going after athletes that were quality people. I am sorry, but if you can go to prison for your actions, and your coach has to resign because of them, these are probably those that should be passed on. Maybe a strong coach with a strong program can withstand taking a chance, we don't have either of those. All of those that think this is OK, please don't participate in conversations about lsu thugs!

What I like most is that spoon is probably in New York. That makes me feel great. Ha

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Three BIG CONCERNS have me apprehensive about the program's future.
    • SIZE: Seems like for several years we've been recruiting guards, guards, guards (see coach Harshaw's comments above). This past year I saw Seattle's big have her way with us, South Carolina gang abuse us, there were others. Two years ago one of the Utah State girls and a Hawaiibig embarrassed us. There were many others. And what about post points? AWOL. Is this fixed?
    • JUCO/TRANSFER BUILDING: Sure we have needed some quick fixes, but that is a band-aid approach. See recruiting below.
    • ADMINISTRATION: Who is managing with passion and effectiveness our recruiting, returning calls, beating the bushes, putting on dynamite camps. Just seems like a malaise sometimes. Can Spoon energize and effect all this with a parttime job in New York?

Spoon has my TOTAL UNWAVERING SUPPORT THIS YEAR. Hope to make the 105 mile round trip drive to every game, exhibition, welcome back night!! WHen can I renew my season tickets?

But the last "next year" is THIS YEAR on the court and in recruiting. Gonna be tough but doable. LOVE MY LADY TECHSTERS.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

So . . . if they were 6-3 or 6-5 we'd wink on these two?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    So . . . if they were 6-3 or 6-5 we'd wink on these two?
    Let's see what others say. My comments were just on the program as a whole, going to the lack of post players under Long and Spoon. (Imagine if we'd had a solid true post to go with Dowdell and Johnson.)

I do believe in second chances, WHEN THERE IS EVIDENCE THAT SOMEONE HAS CHANGED, with "one strike and you're out" zero tolerance . My Dad was a drunk and substance abuser and womanizer for 20 years in the Navy. Disowned by his relatives in Ruston in the late 40's. Through a miracle while trapped upside down in a car wreck near Bunkie he became "saved," quit alcohol over night, retired, met my mother who would become his wife, and became the most godly, gentlemanly, moral man I've ever known. Never ever heard him even say a "4 letter word". Brotherhood Chairman at Temple Baptist at one time. If Spoon feels the two guards are straightened out, I'm OK with that personally. Don't think she'd taken them otherwise.

+ Reply to Thread