+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tulsa & UMass to BE? SMU and UH staying put?

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Tulsa & UMass to BE? SMU and UH staying put?

Andy Katz:

3. The remaining Big East athletic directors will meet in Dallas on Jan. 11 to discuss their latest moves, including the update on the television negotiations. Tulsa and UMass have been discussed as possible additions if the Big East decides to expand, according to multiple sources. Rice and Southern Miss were also tossed around. Meanwhile, the Mountain West expects to move on San Diego State by the end of this week, according to a league source. The MWC has to decide if it will go to 12 or 14. The MWC has interest in SMU and Houston, but SMU has let it be known to the MWC it has no interest as the Mustangs and Cougars are set to go to the Big East. UTEP desperately wants to be in the MWC, according to a source, and is on the MWC list. BYU is the first choice for the MWC but at this juncture the Cougars want to remain independent in football, WCC in other sports.
    I can't say I'm all that excited about UMass. A little surprised that, if they're discussing four, that Rice and UMass are on that list. Rice is a duplicate market team (and the junior partner at that) and UMass I would figure to be in good or decent shape with UConn out of the picture, but not otherwise (like Rice with UH, UNT with SMU, Toledo with Cincinnati, and FIU with USF/UCF).

In any event, it's good for the conference to be talking about it. Hopefully this list is not exhaustive.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Tulsa & UMass to BE? SMU and UH staying put?

Andy Katz:

3. The remaining Big East athletic directors will meet in Dallas on Jan. 11 to discuss their latest moves, including the update on the television negotiations. Tulsa and UMass have been discussed as possible additions if the Big East decides to expand, according to multiple sources. Rice and Southern Miss were also tossed around. Meanwhile, the Mountain West expects to move on San Diego State by the end of this week, according to a league source. The MWC has to decide if it will go to 12 or 14. The MWC has interest in SMU and Houston, but SMU has let it be known to the MWC it has no interest as the Mustangs and Cougars are set to go to the Big East. UTEP desperately wants to be in the MWC, according to a source, and is on the MWC list. BYU is the first choice for the MWC but at this juncture the Cougars want to remain independent in football, WCC in other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    Andy Katz:

I can't say I'm all that excited about UMass. A little surprised that, if they're discussing four, that Rice and UMass are on that list. Rice is a duplicate market team (and the junior partner at that) and UMass I would figure to be in good or decent shape with UConn out of the picture, but not otherwise (like Rice with UH, UNT with SMU, Toledo with Cincinnati, and FIU with USF/UCF).

In any event, it's good for the conference to be talking about it. Hopefully this list is not exhaustive.
    Make more sense if Katz stated "La Tech and Southern Miss were also tossed around". I don't see RICE adding anything with Houston already in the BE. La Tech on the other hand adds more IMHO.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    Andy Katz:

The fact Southern Miss is being discussed is a positive for Tech. In the end, additions might not be based solely on markets. As Dawg06 and I have pointed out in other threads for weeks, the Big East is going to survive. We'll see how things play out.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    The fact Southern Miss is being discussed is a positive for Tech. In the end, additions might not be based solely on markets. As Dawg06 and I have pointed out in other threads for weeks, the Big East is going to survive. We'll see how things play out.
    Supposedly Houston, SMU, Tulsa, and Southern Miss have a strong relationship, and all four share the same vision of building a strong football conference first and foremost. That relationship will likely be USM's saving grace. Those are the four schools that DR, LG, and BVDV need to be courting because those four schools must be strong in our corner for us to get a Big East invite. I think it was very shortsighted that we didn't bring the BOP to Houston or Hattiesburg for the last couple season openers or organize charter bus trips to Hattiesburg and Houston for our fans and students. Our admin threw away a good opportunity to make a good impression by showing them we are serious about our athletics program and that we can put money in their pockets. Little things like that could make a big difference.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Supposedly Houston, SMU, Tulsa, and Southern Miss have a strong relationship, and all four share the same vision of building a strong football conference first and foremost. That relationship will likely be USM's saving grace.
    Well, yes and no (from what I understand). That relationship has varied a great deal, from one USM AD to the next. (For that matter, there are some rumors that SMU's recent AD switch significantly altered our relationship with them.)

I would guess, though, that all four (along with ECU) are very concerned about competitiveness right now.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Puppy johnson33 is an unknown

Well I am glad that’s over…now get back to work

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

+ Reply to Thread