+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tech in Town - BR

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar

Re: Tech in Town - BR

Quote Originally Posted by domangue View Post
    I might have been venting a bit, but my point is regarding the resources they are willing to put into south La. I'm not the organizer of stuff in NOLA... but they have put together a few terrific events like the Poinsettia Bowl party for example. I'm sure a few of them could elaborate. The NOLA group was rewarded for their efforts by having the one, single sponsored event pulled.... for no other reason than some sort of data mining...

Analogy:

"Dear Dallas- We normally have quite a turnout for your Tech's in Town event. However, our alumni database indicates we have a higher per capita ratio of alumni in McKinney. So, we are going to be cancelling the Dallas event, and holding it in McKinney instead. We hope you will make every effort to attend. Thanks, Tech."

This is their logic! [They counted HogDawg 16 times by mistake]
    The Poinsettia Bowl was actually a grass-roots event I planned. I had one set for the A&M game before Isaac blew that out of the water. not looking for recognition; just looking for a way to bring all our Tech people in South Louisiana together - something many of us want down here.

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar

[QUOTE=JAB;1353962]Funding is still the issue. You have to have funding to have the events. And every bit of funds you expect LTAC/Alumni Assoc to give is less to the the things we all want. And you can't take into account any money made from the event. Future monies are not available, AT ALL!
    That said, if you want to have an event in your area YOU will have to find the funds to support the back bone of the event. We joke about Tech & Tails in 2008 being a $20K Event organized on our credit cards for $500! We did a lot of robbing Peter to pay Paul that year but when it all was said and done we (OUR PERSONAL CREDIT!) did a little better than break even and was able to give money to the school and LTAC. And honestly, some worried we would even get our money back!

bulldawg03, you are going to have to put both your money and your effort into an event if you want it to truely happen. The school and LTAC can't afford it.
    Good news is when you do that YOU can control a lot of things that happen.

JAB, the senior sendoff I mentioned earlier is actually an idea you shared with me at the A&M game. Thanks for that!

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

I'm giving up... I think my point is being lost.

Nothing to do with Tech & Tails or any other grassroots type event....

1. The Alumni Association sponsors a roadshow called Tech's In Town.

2. These generally are held to an attendance of 75-100.

3. There had been a Tech's In Town- New Orleans held in perfectly central Metairie for a few years running, which consistently achieved desired attendance.

4. They decided, based on demographics, it was important to have a Tech's In Town for the Northshore.

5. Rather than keep the successful NOLA event and add a Northshore event, they decided to only have one, and hold it in Mandeville.

6. They got the desired attendance goals, however, it was a mostly different set of attendees than normally came to the NOLA event.

My point is... they could have easily touched 200 attendees by holding two events. Either pure lazyness, apathy, or whatever else they didn't. As far as cost, I am pretty confident these events are at worst a break-even type proposition... this is a matter of planning, logistics, and taking the time to do it. Just making a priority of saying its worth taking a few days to fundraise and reach out to alumni. They have obviously stated that NOLA isn't one of their priorities.

This is all.

Chris,

I hear your point, and I think Ruston did, too, between emails from you, me and several other people I know.

We can only hope that doing some events down here on our own, coupled with those emails, will lead to the event coming back to New Orleans next year or having two in the area!

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

BUMP... just in case our new AD happens to be sniffing around here. My ass is still a bit chapped over this.
    Last edited by domangue; 08-01-2013 at 09:54 AM.

+ Reply to Thread