+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LHSAA proposal

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

LHSAA proposal

New playoff brackets, for football, one for private & charter schools and one for public schools. Just because this year all 5 classes were won by private/charter schools doesn't mean it happens that way every year. How many years have public schools won the majority of the titles? Voting on it Jan 27th. Quick informal survey find 65% of principals/ADs in favor of the proposal. Guess it'll pass then.

Within the separate brackets there'll be a further breakdown by school size, but not the traditional 1A-5A. Proposal I heard will use the soccer model of Divisions I, II, and III.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Re: LHSAA proposal

This is goofy politics being played by the public schools who have their feelings hurt because they didn't win the trophy. This could hurt sports at public schools very badly, but it will be their own fault. It also undermines the value of winning a championship because there will be multiple winners.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

It's not just private/charter schools that are getting put into the "Select" group. It's schools like Byrd and other magnet schools that can take students from anywhere in the parish, not just a "non-select" school district.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

It's the only way to get rid of J.C., Evangile, etc..

The good news is that the Catholic leagues will be back and it should make for a bigger event in the Dome. The Current Championship weekend setup is not making any real money for the LHSAA.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Very excited to be getting the old Catholic League back again. Just hasn't been the same. Most of the original members will be in it.

Fletch ran thru the proposal fairly quickly on his show last night. From memory, I think the private/charter/magnet bracket will be 32 teams. While the public bracket will be 48, with 16 1st round byes, or something like that. I probably messed that up, but ya know Fletch is a fast talker! But, I'm not sure how the big school/small school designation will fit into this. Could be Louisiana will now have 6 state championship games:

private/charter/magnet - Div I, II, and III
    public - Div I, II, and III

A total of six.

But, then the following weekend, they could match the three Division winners:

Private/chart/mag Div I winner vs. the Public Div I winner for all the marbles! And ditto for II and III. But....that defeats the purpose of separating them in the first place .

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    A total of six.

But, then the following weekend, they could match the three Division winners:

Private/chart/mag Div I winner vs. the Public Div I winner for all the marbles! And ditto for II and III. But....that defeats the purpose of separating them in the first place .
    Yeah, I don't see that happening, but Kenny Henderson may screw up a good idea with a bad one. He's done it before.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    It's not just private/charter schools that are getting put into the "Select" group. It's schools like Byrd and other magnet schools that can take students from anywhere in the parish, not just a "non-select" school district.
    It's pretty much just to punish Byrd as Byrd is the only public school in North Louisiana with greater than 33% of the student body in the magnet program. I think Byrd is about 40% magnet. That arbitrary percentage is just because these Northwest Louisiana schools are jealous of Byrd. When was the last time Byrd won a state championship in anything? I'm not sure how many South Louisiana public schools would qualify as select schools. Not sure about the new 25% figure that's been floating around either.

All but one public high school in Caddo Parish has a magnet program.
    - C.E. Byrd Math/Science Magnet
    - Caddo Magnet
    - Captain Shreve Engineering and Liberal Arts Magnets
    - Southwood Biotechnology Magnet
    - Huntington Law Magnet
    - Booker T. Washington Telecommunications Magnet
    - Fair Park Medical Careers Magnet
    - Woodlawn Leadership Magnet
    - North Caddo Magnet
    - Green Oaks Performing Arts Magnet
    All of them except Northwood. I think I got all that right. I thought one school used to have an education magnet. Maybe not.

In fact, Byrd's magnet program has the highest academic admission standards in the entire parish. Even higher than Caddo Magnet High, which doesn't sponsor football, basketball, or baseball. Byrd is the toughest school to get admitted to, yet Byrd could be the only magnet school punished for having a magnet program.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 01-16-2013 at 04:19 PM.

I believe the laboratory schools are part of the plan. Aren't they considered magnet? I think its more about getting some of them out than getting Byrd out.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I believe the laboratory schools are part of the plan. Aren't they considered magnet? I think its more about getting some of them out than getting Byrd out.
    I'm not sure about motivations around other areas of the state, but Captain Shreve, Airline, Parkway, Haughton, Benton, and Minden all want Byrd out. Airline and Shreve are the most outspoken about it, and Benton and Minden aren't even in the same classification as Byrd.

The Bossier Parish school administrators have gone crazy regarding athletics decisions. They want Byrd in a different classification. They refuse to play private schools in all sports. Parkway won't let opposing schools broadcast games on the radio. Parkway tried to prevent the opposing team warm up before their playoff game and had the opposing coach arrested for refusing to get off the field for Parkway's band's pregame show. Who do they think they are? This is high school we're talking about.

As far as lab schools go, wouldn't they be 100% select? All the magnet high schools in Caddo Parish also have neighborhood programs that make up the majority of the student body except for Caddo Magnet, which is 100% magnet and doesn't play major sports. I'm pretty sure that 33% is there only for Byrd since Byrd is about 40% magnet.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 01-16-2013 at 05:15 PM.

As a high school football fan, I just hope "they" don't screw things up. I never complained when Evangel was knocking Rummel out of the state playoffs, which they did several times, twice I think in the semis. Others were saying Evangel was recruiting and all of that, had an unfair advantage, blah, blah, blah...I said let 'em stay in 5A because we want the VERY BEST programs in our highest division, the best of the best. I would be happy to see Rummel competing with Evangel, Curtis, West Monroe, Barbe, and all the others that can "bring it." If you truly want to be the best, you have to beat the best. But....that's just me.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

As a high school football fan, I just hope "they" don't screw things up. I never complained when Evangel was knocking Rummel out of the state playoffs, which they did several times, twice I think in the semis. Others were saying Evangel was recruiting and all of that, had an unfair advantage, blah, blah, blah...I said let 'em stay in 5A because we want the VERY BEST programs in our highest division, the best of the best. I would be happy to see Rummel competing with Evangel, Curtis, West Monroe, Barbe, and all the others that can "bring it." If you truly want to be the best, you have to beat the best. But....that's just me.
    I agree with this post entirely. We should encourage success, not punish it.

But, I would take it to a place I know puts me in a lonely place. I would allow transfers out of districts up until the end of the junior year. Some kids who have the misfortune of being from Cotton Valley or Sibley might be pro prospects. They might not grow until they are sophmores. They play their next two years and then waste away in some little town behind a trash truck. If Evangel wants to pay to make them great players, it benefits the kid, it benefits Evangel and it benefits our state.

If under this rule Ruston loses its better players to West Monroe, so be it. Ruston needs to gets its act together and keep those players if they want a great program. This arbitrary system of servitude needs to end.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    When was the last time Byrd won a state championship in anything? I'm not sure how many South Louisiana public schools would qualify as select schools. Not sure about the new 25% figure that's been floating around either.
    My Junior year (1993-94) we won State Championship in Boys & Girls Basketball. Also, Football had an undefeated regular season (I think we lost to Ruston in 1st round). I think there may be a softball championship or two since then (don't hold me to that) and maybe a girls' soccer championship.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Wait until Neville gets its Charter designation . . .
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Big Dog olddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rough

While I can appreciate that the majority of those posting are graduates or parents of students in private, parochial, charter, magnet, lab schools - it does not change the fact that each of these types of schools do have the advantage of being able to recruit. maddawg mentions J.C. - who as an example, went and got a player (out of Texas I think) for basketball last year that added enough for them to win the 2A championship against Riverside Academy whose basketball coach goes to France to get players to come play high school basketball. If I am correct, this JC student was picked up by LSU. Dawgpix discussion of Neville is dead on. As some of you know, my son suffered his second torn ACL last basketball season. As we were sitting in Dr. Sal Graves office for a post-op appointment, a "booster" for Neville was bragging about how they were going to be "recruiting 100 student athletes" as soon as they got their charter. I'm sure there are those of you who say that pubic schools do this as well and like me wonder how a kid can not be eligible to play after transferring from Ouachta to West Monroe to play football, but another student that transferred from West Monroe to Ouachita to play basketball can be eligible. Or, how officiating can be so different as to enable Sterlington to quite soundly defeat Natchitoches Central at a neutral site while being defeated by 52 to a Ouachita team that narrowly escaped being defeated by the same Natchitoches Central team - but that's another story.

All this to say that while seperating these schools is a good first step, it will not stop the recruiting issue and will likely not create the "level playing field" most believe. IMO an additional measure should be put in place. If it is revealed that a public school is recruiting, then that school will be forced to play in the "select" division for a period of no less than two years. I can tell you this - the college coaches would love for this to happen so that they had fewer schools they needed to scout. I think that LHSAA would love not to have the same schools competing for the championships every year. I also believe that the businesses around the state championships would also like to see it not be the same schools competing every year. Those teams alumi get use to it and then do not go every year, while the team that is lucky enough to go there once every 20 years or so has everyone in the town excited to go, only to be defeated by those that are recruiting. Unfortunately, these changes come a bit to late as my senior son will no longer be put in this disadvantageous position, though he too was recruited to them but as a family - we turned it down. Thus, it really will not matter to me anymore.

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

I agree! I think the biggest problem is with the small rural public schools trying to compete against the private schools from metro areas. I believe a split for the playoffs will definitely screw things up.Under the current proposal, almost all teams will now qualify for the playoffs. So much for competition. How is a coach supposed to motivate his kids for a regular season game that means absolutely nothing?

+ Reply to Thread