+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big money conference breakaway/NCAA split?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Question Big money conference breakaway/NCAA split?

Dan Wolken and George Schroeder, USA Today: Is next college sports realignment a split from NCAA? (This article was written right before the ACC grant of rights was agreed upon.)

Dennis Dodd, CBS Sports: Will power conferences break away from NCAA? In a way they have

Jerry Hinnen, CBS Sports: Slive: schools could discuss NCAA 'division' over stipends

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Re: Big money conference breakaway/NCAA split?

Slive was on Sirius/XM this week. Basically said that a stipend will happen, probably sooner rather than later, and if it takes a split to make it happen, so be it.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

The federal government will get involved before there is a split IMO.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    The federal government will get involved....

Oh, that will make things better.....

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Oh, that will make things better.....
    Lol, I didn't say it would make things better. College football has flirted with antitrust issues in the past. I think that a total break away would stir too many elected officials into action. Just imagine the Big Ten in Washington explaining why they have decided to cut the little guy out completely from the picture to a bunch of politicians who were elected by the little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    Lol, I didn't say it would make things better. College football has flirted with antitrust issues in the past. I think that a total break away would stir too many elected officials into action. Just imagine the Big Ten in Washington explaining why they have decided to cut the little guy out completely from the picture to a bunch of politicians who were elected by the little guy.

The big guys just throw some dollars into their re-election campaigns and all will be well.... :icon_wink:

Seriously, I rather suspect that more folks in Ohio support OSU than all of the MAC teams together. Probably the same in other states as well. The little guys will not fair well in this and no one will really care, not even the politicians.

I agree. However it only takes a few in Congress who aren't alumni from a big school to get the ball rolling. Not everybody watches football and has a team, so once public perception becomes that the BIG TEAMS are squeezing the small teams out, then that's all she wrote. That's sorta how Orrin Hatch got UTAH in the Pac12.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post

Selected quotes from Smith:

Q: There’s been some speculation that the NCAA could become obsolete, that the power conferences could essentially supersede the NCAA. Do you share that opinion?
    A: ....I do believe we need to think of a different structure for certain schools like Ohio State, Michigan and Nebraska and Alabama and so on. There are probably 60-70 schools that are different than everybody else. We need to think about a different division for them, within the NCAA structure, not outside of it, a division that allows those schools to have its own legislation. .....As far as the recruiting rules, our recruiting rules should be different than it is at Middle Tennessee State. They’re Division I and they’re voting on our legislation or the legislation we believe is applicable to our level. I think we need to pause. I think we need to have a conversation about, ‘Should there be a different division within the NCAA structure that allows X number of schools to be legislated differently, but within the structure?’

Q: What do you think is different for the Middle Tennessee States than it is for the Ohio States?
    A: ......You can’t take the Ohio State University and create legislation that allows a Middle Tennessee State to be as competitive as we are. It doesn’t happen. You can have all these rules where we’re operating under the same rules, but we still have an engine that they don’t have.
    .....We’ve tried to legislate a level playing field when there’s no level playing field. What I’m proposing – and there are other models you’ll see surface – is to have a division inside the NCAA that says, ‘These schools can afford to pay a stipend. Let them do it.’ You can’t afford to do it. That’s fine. But don’t inhibit their ability to create opportunities for their young people.

Q: You’re talking about the five super conferences?
    A: That’s really what it comes down to.

Q: The devil’s advocate argument is probably that you’ll make the difference between the haves and have-nots even greater.
    A: Your point? Your point? See, that’s the argument, that we’ve always said, ‘We shouldn’t do that.’ I say, “Why? Isn’t that divide huge anyway? Do you think they’re going to be in the (football) playoff.’ ......

Gut feeling - 5-8 years and we have a "Super" Conference of the 60-80 big money schools, everyone else will not matter (more or less).

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

So...

"It's impossible to have a level playing field because the playing field cannot be level because that's the way we made sure it happened."

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    So...

"It's impossible to have a level playing field because the playing field cannot be level because that's the way we made sure it happened."
    Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Selected quotes from Smith:

Q: There’s been some speculation that the NCAA could become obsolete, that the power conferences could essentially supersede the NCAA. Do you share that opinion?
    A: ....I do believe we need to think of a different structure for certain schools like Ohio State, Michigan and Nebraska and Alabama and so on. There are probably 60-70 schools that are different than everybody else. We need to think about a different division for them, within the NCAA structure, not outside of it, a division that allows those schools to have its own legislation. .....As far as the recruiting rules, our recruiting rules should be different than it is at Middle Tennessee State. They’re Division I and they’re voting on our legislation or the legislation we believe is applicable to our level. I think we need to pause. I think we need to have a conversation about, ‘Should there be a different division within the NCAA structure that allows X number of schools to be legislated differently, but within the structure?’

Q: What do you think is different for the Middle Tennessee States than it is for the Ohio States?
    A: ......You can’t take the Ohio State University and create legislation that allows a Middle Tennessee State to be as competitive as we are. It doesn’t happen. You can have all these rules where we’re operating under the same rules, but we still have an engine that they don’t have.
    .....We’ve tried to legislate a level playing field when there’s no level playing field. What I’m proposing – and there are other models you’ll see surface – is to have a division inside the NCAA that says, ‘These schools can afford to pay a stipend. Let them do it.’ You can’t afford to do it. That’s fine. But don’t inhibit their ability to create opportunities for their young people.

Q: You’re talking about the five super conferences?
    A: That’s really what it comes down to.

Q: The devil’s advocate argument is probably that you’ll make the difference between the haves and have-nots even greater.
    A: Your point? Your point? See, that’s the argument, that we’ve always said, ‘We shouldn’t do that.’ I say, “Why? Isn’t that divide huge anyway? Do you think they’re going to be in the (football) playoff.’ ......

Gut feeling - 5-8 years and we have a "Super" Conference of the 60-80 big money schools, everyone else will not matter (more or less).
    I have never been a fan of ohio st. His arrogant answers make me like them even less.

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

The whole thing that really pisses me off about this line of thought is the fact that it is based on plum luck of conference membership rather than performance.

I could almost stomach if a handful (20-30) of the powerhouse-type programs broke away from all conference affiliation... Alabama/Ohio St./Texas/Oklahoma etc.

It's the premise that just because a, say Purdue or Iowa State, just so happens to be in a power conference, they get to go along for the ride.

Tell me that say, Purdue, has done more for college football in the last decade, hell generation, than his chosen example of Middle Tennesee? Or that Iowa State is more deserving of super-conference status than Houston or SMU? Washington State gets to ride the Pac 12 coattails instead of Boise?

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

my question is this -- if the big conference teams break away (whether inside or outside the NCAA), are they going to quit playing the have-nots? If they do, that's not great for us (assuming we're considered a have-not) but it also creates some interesting problems. Who does Ohio State get to play those OOC games? And how long is Mississippi State going to be happy getting the crap kicked out of them every week?

What they're going to want to do is create separate rules but still play the other teams for money/body bag games. I hope the smaller schools don't let that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    I have never been a fan of ohio st. His arrogant answers make me like them even less.

Truth be known, Smith's attitude is the same at about 66 other schools around the country....

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    my question is this -- if the big conference teams break away (whether inside or outside the NCAA), are they going to quit playing the have-nots?

They should not, but my guess is that they will arrange it somehow. I wish all of the non-power conference schools would tell them to go jump in the lake, but I suspect that offers of $1.5-2M for a body bag game will sufficiently grease the skids.

+ Reply to Thread