+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Landon Donovan

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Re: Landon Donovan

A couple of our MF's are SOB's trust me

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    I think what you will see from this team on the 14 roster:

Donovan
    Beasley
    Holden
    Rimando

Then very likely:

Beckerman
    Wondo
    My concern with Beckerman (who admittedly I'm not as high on as JK) is where he fits on the roster. He plays essentially the exact same role as Jermaine Jones (who I'm also not as high on as JK), but Jones obviously is higher on the pecking order. I'd take Maurice Edu, because of his ability to play center back if necessary, over Beckerman. You also have Bradley and Holden who can play those roles. I'm not sure if Beckerman makes the cut, though he's got JK on his side, which obviously helps.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I say get the best MFers we can. Probably wouldn't hurt to throw a couple tough SOBs in there, too.
    Just knew someone.....shoulda guessed who ....would comment on the "MFers." That's okay, there is some truth in the connection. Actually, I played marking back mostly, and was called names all the time.....usually by some opposing player writhing in pain on the pitch! I told one such opposing player, "I'd say I was sorry, but I am just going to do it again, rendering my apology insincere at best."

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Just knew someone.....shoulda guessed who ....would comment on the "MFers." That's okay, there is some truth in the connection. Actually, I played marking back mostly, and was called names all the time.....usually by some opposing player writhing in pain on the pitch! I told one such opposing player, "I'd say I was sorry, but I am just going to do it again, rendering my apology insincere at best."
    If you were playing that position and the other team wasn't calling you names then something is wrong. Sounds like you did a good job to me!!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Happy for Shea. But, more credit to LD for the perfect pass, and kudos to Sean Johnson for a huge save that started that whole counter-attack. Costa Rica is a tough, defensive side. It's not just that they play 5 defenders, a bunker defense, it's more that they do it very, very well. Tremendous discipline and organization along that back line. And, while Beasley continues to scare me to death, playing as a marking back, I like that guy! He covers his own tactical mistakes with his speed and ball-skills. Hats off to Goodson too. He's solid as a center back. Holden? Well... still has some way to go. He got to play a holding MF, as part of a duo, and did not show much. He's better as an attacking MF. I see him as a role-player in Brazil, coming off the bench when we need an offensive spark. Maybe JK has different plans for him. Fine. I think JK is doing a super job of building a complete program, and I trust his judgment. For now, let's win this Gold Cup tourney.

EJ is a scorer. Is subbed in....15 seconds later he scores. Any questions? LD is a lock for the A Team. All this speculation is silly. Beckerman is playing well as a holding MF. He too is a lock. Mostly.....what a frickin breath of fresh air JK is! Need to shore up the defense, but I love his tactical philosophy: attack!

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Did you see the replay of EJ from the time he subbed on the field until the time he scored? He literally jogs from midfield into the box to a spot, and then is like, "Oh, hey, the corner's in the air" and then the ball was in the back of the net. It was unbelievable.

As far as Donovan, it seems as if he's toying with this level of competition. I know he's not Neymar or Messi or anything, but he's one of the top two offensive players in American history. Having him play with this B team just doesn't seem fair. He didn't finish well yesterday (he had a half-dozen or so chances to score in addition to his lone goal), but he is such a great creator. His attitude has been great since his sabbatical. He's been a great teammate, done what's been asked of him and generally has gone above and beyond the call of duty. I'd like to see him rewarded with the captain's armband in the Gold Cup final. I think he's earned it.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    EJ is a scorer. Is subbed in....15 seconds later he scores. Any questions? LD is a lock for the A Team. All this speculation is silly. Beckerman is playing well as a holding MF. He too is a lock. Mostly.....what a frickin breath of fresh air JK is! Need to shore up the defense, but I love his tactical philosophy: attack!
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1711530-united-states-vs-el-salvador-landon-donovan-proves-himself-crucial-yet-again?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_c ampaign=editorial&hpt=hp_c4

http://www.mlssoccer.com/goldcup/new...e-once-again-u

After long layoff, Landon Donovan has his swagger back

USA TODAY ‎- 22 minutes ago
    Forget any lingering talk that Landon Donovan fell out of love with the sport of soccer.

Dang! got an obligation tomorrow night, will miss the Honduras game live. Was thinking of going to Dallas for it in person. But, after that experience at Reliant two years ago and 65,000 rude/stinky Mexican fans, not so certain. Actually, I'd still go, only I can't. Worse! will have to watch the replay .

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Got a link to a video of EJ's goal?

USA 3 Honduras 1 and Panama 2 Los Culoes 1

USA 1 Panama 0 Gold Cup Champs. And...there I was singing EJ's praises and he looks like a U8er missing a point-blank shot!

+ Reply to Thread