+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 162

Thread: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

  1. #31
    Varsity Bulldog cmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nice cmendawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    284

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    JuBru, if the evidence equally supports 10 REASONABLE versions of events regarding what happened, and 1 of those is lawful, how could you not have reasonable doubt? The law doesn't require scientific proof, but there can't be a reasonable doubt. I would agree that juries sometimes have a hard time holding the state to this very high standard, but that is their charge. The key word in this is "reasonableness" and I agree that it requires more than consistency with the evidence - it must also be consistent with reasonable plausibility.
    "Reasonableness" is a tricky word, but we can agree that "beyond a reasonable doubt" is a much higher standard than the "preponderance of evidence" standard but is also not "beyond all doubt" or "beyond a shadow of a doubt."

  2. #32
    Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    In your mind and under your skin
    Posts
    29,874

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post

    BTW, Anderson Cooper has an interview with one of the jurors on TV right now.

    And that juror just confirmed that after all the deliberation, they ultimately all focused on the seconds before he pulled the trigger and the fact that he reasonably feared for his life or significant bodily injury. They made the right decision for the right reasons, despite the prosecution doing their damnedest to obfuscate the issue for the jury. Originally was 3 not guilty, 2 manslaughters, 1 murder 2. The jurors all ultimately agreed after applying the law to the facts.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    Its a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.

  3. #33
    Champ longdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the rough
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,123

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    Vick was charged with torturing and killing dogs.
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/25/vick/

    Zimmerman's legal woes are not over yet and as I mentioned earlier, we haven't heard the last from him.
    You're right, Zimmerman is going to sue the crap out of NBC for defamation, and he will probably win or at least settle for big bucks.

  4. #34
    Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    11,654

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by longdawgview View Post
    You're right, Zimmerman is going to sue the crap out of NBC for defamation, and he will probably win or at least settle for big bucks.

    And then gets hit with a Civil Rights suit case and loses all of it.... No way the administration lets this one ride.

  5. #35
    Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,151

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by longdawgview View Post
    You're right, Zimmerman is going to sue the crap out of NBC for defamation, and he will probably win or at least settle for big bucks.
    I hope Zimmerman doesn't decide to shoot NBC out of fear they will do him harm.

  6. #36
    Champ longdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the rough
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,123

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    And then gets hit with a Civil Rights suit case and loses all of it.... No way the administration lets this one ride.
    I disagree; Holder said we are "investigating", he said that just to appease the base. The likelihood of federal civil rights charge is almost nil

  7. #37
    Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    11,654

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by longdawgview View Post
    I disagree; Holder said we are "investigating", he said that just to appease the base. The likelihood of federal civil rights charge is almost nil
    Hope you are right.

  8. #38
    Big Dog dawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud of dawg1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Coppell, TX
    Posts
    587

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    And then gets hit with a Civil Rights suit case and loses all of it.... No way the administration lets this one ride.
    Interesting that the administration would want to investigate this to ensure justice for the victim while it sees no reason to investigate Benghazi.

    Quote Originally Posted by longdawgview View Post
    I disagree; Holder said we are "investigating", he said that just to appease the base. The likelihood of federal civil rights charge is almost nil
    I hope you are right.

  9. #39
    Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute Cool Hand Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    14,407

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    I hope Zimmerman doesn't decide to shoot NBC out of fear they will do him harm.
    If NBC come to Florida and bashes his head into concrete, I'm sure he will.
    http://www.ushagent.com/MichaelClydeStephens

    Helping Other People Everyday

  10. #40
    Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    16,450

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    I hope Zimmerman doesn't decide to shoot NBC out of fear they will do him harm.
    No disrespect intended but you aren't arguing off of facts. You are arguing based on pure emotion right now. You have NO IDEA what happened that night. Neither do I. Neither the prosecution nor the defense proved anything. You are forming an opinion off of VERY limited information. Considering the media has made numerous mistakes and flat out lies that is a dangerous thing to do. I'm not saying I know more about this than you. I'm saying no one really knows enough to determine whether a murder occurred. Just recently I read about a 17 year old boy in S.C. who was sleeping in his car. For no reason whatsoever an African American walked up to the car and emptied 4 rounds into the kids chest. Was there any media making a big deal out of it?? Of course not. Because accusations of racism get better ratings. Don't fall for the medias tricks, you are better than that.

  11. #41
    Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    39,655

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    Based on many of woofies' posts, I don't think he is "better than that." This series of WRONGO! posts are par for the course for him.

  12. #42
    Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Ruston
    Posts
    17,159

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    But none of what Vick did and what you mentioned is worse than killing a human being.
    You must not know very many dog lovers.

  13. #43
    Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Ruston
    Posts
    17,159

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    No disrespect intended but you aren't arguing off of facts. You are arguing based on pure emotion right now. You have NO IDEA what happened that night. Neither do I. Neither the prosecution nor the defense proved anything. You are forming an opinion off of VERY limited information. Considering the media has made numerous mistakes and flat out lies that is a dangerous thing to do. I'm not saying I know more about this than you. I'm saying no one really knows enough to determine whether a murder occurred. Just recently I read about a 17 year old boy in S.C. who was sleeping in his car. For no reason whatsoever an African American walked up to the car and emptied 4 rounds into the kids chest. Was there any media making a big deal out of it?? Of course not. Because accusations of racism get better ratings. Don't fall for the medias tricks, you are better than that.
    In reference to the 17 yo white boy that was killed, I don't think you can make a comparison as to why that case didn't get the attention that TM case got. I don't know the facts, but I'm sure in the North Carolina case the suspect was arrested and charged early on without any public call to do so. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it would have gotten the attention. The reason the TM/GZ case got as big as it did, is because he wasn't arrested until nearly 2 months later after the whole nation (geographically) was clamoring for his arrest and charging. In the future, if something like this were to happen again, I can see a person getting arrested and charged just as a procedure with the charges being dropped some time down the road to be sure tempers cool.

  14. #44
    Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    8,862

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    In reference to the 17 yo white boy that was killed, I don't think you can make a comparison as to why that case didn't get the attention that TM case got. I don't know the facts, but I'm sure in the North Carolina case the suspect was arrested and charged early on without any public call to do so. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it would have gotten the attention. The reason the TM/GZ case got as big as it did, is because he wasn't arrested until nearly 2 months later after the whole nation (geographically) was clamoring for his arrest and charging. In the future, if something like this were to happen again, I can see a person getting arrested and charged just as a procedure with the charges being dropped some time down the road to be sure tempers cool.
    Yeh, this case was much more complicated, and that was a large part in its popularity. No doubt the racial aspect of it was blown out of proportion by the media, but the case's complication is what drew people also.

  15. #45
    Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    53,273

    Re: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

    We as a nation have got to start holding the state run media accountable for their BS lies and spins to get press, make political points and $$ at the very risk of our nation. Their huge part in this is incredibly undeniable. Where is the media per the 1000's of black men killed in Chicago the last few years for goodness sakes? From the article I posted above by Ben Kinchlow:


    "More blacks were murdered in the U.S. in 2009 alone than all the U.S. troops killed in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars to date. These figures do not include the more than 400 young black men slain in Chicago just since the Zimmerman-Martin saga began.
    Can someone perhaps enlighten me as to why the national media, NAACP CEO Benjamin Jealous, Rev. Sharpton and other black community activists are not demanding an in-depth investigation into, and justice for, these black victims?
    Maybe it is because the dead were blacks slain by blacks, as it appears that in every white/black scenario, blacks can do no wrong and must be exonerated. Right, O.J.?"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts