+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ponds to fish in Ruston?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Ponds to fish in Ruston?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    We caught a ton of 1-2 lb bass in the west "lobe" of that body of water. We had a little john boat, but there's plenty of places you can get to from the bank. Watch out for wasps and snakes though.
    I ended up bringing my parents' little john boat or puddle jumper as I call it (only fits two and runs on trolling motor) back up here to Ruston to use for many of these larger bodies of water that aren't lakes but look like giant ponds that I see driving between Ruston and Shreveport and the other way too. They don't look like a motor boat would be able to navigate them. One day, I plan to google map out a route and spend a week or so just travelling the back roads and putting in at some creek, bayou or bank bed and fish a while. Spend the night in the truck and hit the next place the next day or keep where I am depending on the fishing.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I ended up bringing my parents' little john boat or puddle jumper as I call it (only fits two and runs on trolling motor) back up here to Ruston to use for many of these larger bodies of water that aren't lakes but look like giant ponds that I see driving between Ruston and Shreveport and the other way too. They don't look like a motor boat would be able to navigate them. One day, I plan to google map out a route and spend a week or so just travelling the back roads and putting in at some creek, bayou or bank bed and fish a while. Spend the night in the truck and hit the next place the next day or keep where I am depending on the fishing.
    The biggest issue we faced was that the place to put the boat in was a good 100 yards past the "no motorized vehicles beyond this point" sign. 2 times we didn't get caught. The last time, a friendly police officer inquired about whether or not we could read.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

The biggest issue we faced was that the place to put the boat in was a good 100 yards past the "no motorized vehicles beyond this point" sign. 2 times we didn't get caught. The last time, a friendly police officer inquired about whether or not we could read.
    Fortunately, the boat is light enough that two grown men can carry it or one can drag so the need to get it close to the water with a motorized vehicle is removed from the equation. Of course, I have yet to use the boat. Waiting on a little cooler weather and the motivation to map out a route.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Fortunately, the boat is light enough that two grown men can carry it or one can drag so the need to get it close to the water with a motorized vehicle is removed from the equation. Of course, I have yet to use the boat. Waiting on a little cooler weather and the motivation to map out a route.
    That place I linked really was a great place to fish. Hit it up in March or April and you won't regret it.

Puppy FishingDawg is an unknown

That place I linked really was a great place to fish. Hit it up in March or April and you won't regret it.
    What were yall fishing with? Took a drive out there after work the other day and looks like the water is pretty low and its filled with moss on the top of the water. Im gonna make a trip home and grab my little john boat and trolling motor and see if I can find some fish in there

Quote Originally Posted by FishingDawg View Post
    What were yall fishing with? Took a drive out there after work the other day and looks like the water is pretty low and its filled with moss on the top of the water. Im gonna make a trip home and grab my little john boat and trolling motor and see if I can find some fish in there
    Well, it was about 10 years ago, but I think we caught em on a texas rig.

Quote Originally Posted by FishingDawg View Post
    Dude. You can borrow mine. Just pm me the night before so I can charge the motor battery. If you want to see what the boat looks like, pm me and you can come by and see it before hauling yours up here. You'll have to have a truck to load it in the bed. It doesn't have a trailer, but it's not really heavy. Maybe I can go with you and use my truck. Warning, though. I'm not much of a fisherman. I can tie my own bait, but not sure how to use the different baits I've got. lol It's a hobby I wanted to start before I got really sick and never really got to get out to learn. I've always fished since I was little, but never had anyone to truly teach me. Now, crabbing and crawfishing are totally different. I can't tell you the number of gator holes in the marshes I've fallen into when I was little and crabbing with my uncle.

+ Reply to Thread