+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Impressive new facility for the Cajuns

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Impressive new facility for the Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Riding to Austin through many little towns in Texas I observed almost every school was new and nice.
    That is solely the result of Anne Richard's Robin Hood act which robs for the rich school districts to give to the poor.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

In general, too much money is spent on athletics. Doesn't matter the source(s). Even if private donors paid for everything, it still points to misguided priorities. Those same donors should be motivated to provide for academics' facility improvements. It's all of our fault, we all contribute to this sports' addiction and craziness. And, I'm not advocating doing away with sports, just reeling in the runaway spending. Do football players really need a room full of pool tables and such...??? Hmmm?

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    In general, too much money is spent on athletics. Doesn't matter the source(s). Even if private donors paid for everything, it still points to misguided priorities. Those same donors should be motivated to provide for academics' facility improvements. It's all of our fault, we all contribute to this sports' addiction and craziness. And, I'm not advocating doing away with sports, just reeling in the runaway spending. Do football players really need a room full of pool tables and such...??? Hmmm?
    If you can convince the other 124 schools, I'll back you. Eventually you get to where Bama and LSU are and you're bailing out your failing universities and paying for new academic buildings. Might be crazy but its how a good deal of higher education works in America (which explains a lot, actually). You want Americans to come to your university? Better shell out for sports.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    If you can convince the other 124 schools, I'll back you. Eventually you get to where Bama and LSU are and you're bailing out your failing universities and paying for new academic buildings. Might be crazy but its how a good deal of higher education works in America (which explains a lot, actually). You want Americans to come to your university? Better shell out for sports.
    Not quite - when you read the fine prints in the audit reports on schools such as Bama and LSU, they are not totally self-sufficient -

LSU the academic institution is actually on the hook to LSU athletics and the Foundation to the tune of about $20 million or more annually in "lease payments" on facilities that are owned through the TAF - this is real money and tax payer money -

Much like the national mortgage bubble in the mid 2000's, there is an athletics mortgage bubble that will probably burst sooner rather than later -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Not quite - when you read the fine prints in the audit reports on schools such as Bama and LSU, they are not totally self-sufficient -

LSU the academic institution is actually on the hook to LSU athletics and the Foundation to the tune of about $20 million or more annually in "lease payments" on facilities that are owned through the TAF - this is real money and tax payer money -

Much like the national mortgage bubble in the mid 2000's, there is an athletics mortgage bubble that will probably burst sooner rather than later -
    I think this is what I was trying to say. Maybe four people in the entire state give two rusty rat shits about LSUA&M, which is why the Tigers (who should be a separate institution) are loaning them money.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Do football players really need a room full of pool tables and such...??? Hmmm?
    Only the football players who can't get along with others in public pool halls and bars.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Big Dog dawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud of dawg1984's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Now explain to everyone how they get their money. We don't have that option at Tech.
    The school districts I mentioned are affluent. My point, though, is that ULL cannot build a facility as nice as that video for $14 million.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg1984 View Post
    You are kidding, right? I know 3 high schools in the DFW metroplex with facilities costing $20-25 milliion that are not as nice as proposed in that video. And the newest of those facilities opened in 2010. Coppell High School's $20M indoor practice facility opened in 2001. It has a 60-yard indoor football field; weight rooms; locker rooms; coaches offices; meeting rooms; & trainers offices. The Dallas Cowboys used the facility before opening its ill-fated indoor facility. Southlake Carroll High School's $24M facility opened in 2007. The Cowboys used that facility on rainy days after its ill-fated facility was blown down. Denton Ryan High School opened its $25M facility in 2008. This link http://www.ryanraiderfootball.com/ shows some of the Denton Ryan facility.
    Keep in mind, only a portion of what's in the video is in that project. The indoor facility is already built. The problem is that the indoor facility in Lafayette has no AC and is almost unusable from June through September - when you have thunderstorms and it's really needed. The administrative building has a budget of $14 million. Also, Tulsa's endzone building was built for $10 million.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

So is $20mil enough or too much? Should we already have a $12mil facility and be thrilled about it? Not being a pessimist? Just asking.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    So is $20mil enough or too much? Should we already have a $12mil facility and be thrilled about it? Not being a pessimist? Just asking.
    Just pointing out that what was illustrated in the video will likely happen for roughly what they've budgeted. They already have a funding source, and part of what's shown is already in place.

As far as Tech's SEZ is concerned, until we see plans and a cost figure, there really is no way to know.

Champ rangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant future

Now explain to everyone how they get their money. We don't have that option at Tech.
    Denton got their money in a bond election, nothing to do with Ann Richards. I was on the team that did the A/V for it. Those schools were in an arms race for facilities for a while. Now, no one is voting Yes to the bond issues.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdawg View Post
    Denton got their money in a bond election, nothing to do with Ann Richards. I was on the team that did the A/V for it. Those schools were in an arms race for facilities for a while. Now, no one is voting Yes to the bond issues.
    I didn't make or understand the Ann Richards comment.

All I knew was that Texas had voted in taxes to fund the great facilities while Tech doesn't have that option. Turns out I was off base on my reply to dawg1984 anyway.

Champ rangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant future

I didn't make or understand the Ann Richards comment.

All I knew was that Texas had voted in taxes to fund the great facilities while Tech doesn't have that option. Turns out I was off base on my reply to dawg1984 anyway.
    Sorry....I mixed one statement into two comments!! You are correct.....Tech does not have the option to float a bond. Too bad, because all the facilities we worked on in Texas during the "bond heyday" were absolutely amazing. One new HS in Burleson, which was not really needed.....$65 Mil.

Big Dog dawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud of dawg1984's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdawg View Post
    Sorry....I mixed one statement into two comments!! You are correct.....Tech does not have the option to float a bond. Too bad, because all the facilities we worked on in Texas during the "bond heyday" were absolutely amazing. One new HS in Burleson, which was not really needed.....$65 Mil.
    May as well bring in the Allen Eagles stadium in Allen, TX. It opened on August 31, 2013 at a cost of $60 million. That is a enourmous amount but the facility will reportedly be used by the community and not solely by the school district.

That school is geared toward dominance in whatever it does. The community could probably support two high schools but they want state titles so they built a facility that accomodates its approximate 5,000 students in grades 10 - 12. Each grade has its own wing at the school and at the the center is a commons area with a food court. Its band has approximately 600 kids. I've watched Allen play in the old Texas Stadium. When the team did something good on the field and the band fired up, it damn near drown out the stadium PA system. All that is working pretty well for the school as it is now a regular fixture deep into the playoffs.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id...tball-facility

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Why is this in the pit?

+ Reply to Thread