+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking away from the LHSAA

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Breaking away from the LHSAA

Saw this coming. A meeting was held, with 20+ schools represented, to discuss starting over with a new athletic association. Most of the schools in attendance were private schools, represented by principals and athletic directors, but the call went out that any and all schools would be welcomed into the new association. Maybe a better solution is to clean house in the current LHSAA and get better leadership in there. Either way, many schools are not going to take this travesty sitting down. I say put Winnfield HS and a few more that share "her" point of view into their own association and they can take turns winning their championship. Allow all others to compete for a REAL state title.

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Breaking away from the LHSAA

I agree.......it is absurd that Loyola would play Byrd in a playoff football game......absurd. Loyola is private, but very much unlike Evangel, Calvary, etc. Oh well, play the hand you are dealt I guess

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Saw this coming. A meeting was held, with 20+ schools represented, to discuss starting over with a new athletic association. Most of the schools in attendance were private schools, represented by principals and athletic directors, but the call went out that any and all schools would be welcomed into the new association. Maybe a better solution is to clean house in the current LHSAA and get better leadership in there. Either way, many schools are not going to take this travesty sitting down. I say put Winnfield HS and a few more that share "her" point of view into their own association and they can take turns winning their championship. Allow all others to compete for a REAL state title.
    So, what is your opinion on how this whole public/private situation should be handled?? There is not a level playing field. Something has to be done.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

I'm not defending Henderson, as I've disagreed with a number of decisions, but these schools do know that "the LHSAA" is their own principals, right? Henderson can push certain things, but every major decision made is voted upon by the members' principals.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    I agree.......it is absurd that Loyola would play Byrd in a playoff football game......absurd. Loyola is private, but very much unlike Evangel, Calvary, etc. Oh well, play the hand you are dealt I guess
    Byrd and Loyola are not in the same select brackets.

Byrd is in Division I with only 9 other schools, all from South Louisiana.

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Byrd and Loyola are not in the same select brackets.

Byrd is in Division I with only 9 other schools, all from South Louisiana.
    My bad, I thought the select 5A and 4A schools were bracketed together for playoffs. Guess I was mistaken

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    So, what is your opinion on how this whole public/private situation should be handled?? There is not a level playing field. Something has to be done.
    Not sure why some folks insist on saying this. The facts don't support a private school domination of Louisiana HS football. It's been fairly even, and probably the public schools hold an edge in state titles. But, I'd have to check that out. Yeah, like other aspects of their operations, private schools (as a whole) tend to focus on getting results. You're not as likely to see a coach (or a teacher) just drawing a paycheck and not doing their job, year after year after year. I think a good portion of public schools simply "exist." No real effort to produce results. So, that laps over into athletics as well. [at this point someone will produce exceptions to my contention. that's fine, put it out there] Last year, 4 of the 5 best 5A teams were public: Barbe, West Monroe, Ouachita Parish, Mandeville. The 5th school, Rummel, happened to get the job done (finally!! ). Left alone, my money was on the 2013 5A championship game featuring 2 of those 4. But, they had to tamper with a good thing. It is true that John Curtis has been a football factory, and now it appears Parkview Baptist is following that same path, as has Evangel and now Calvary. But, public schools like Kentwood, Haynesville, Oak Grove, Neville, Carencro, and many others have been powerhouses across the classifications for decades. If the folks in Winnfield want to see their Tigers win a state title, then do something about it. Local support, via a booster club, and strong parental support goes a long way to driving a school to achieve, both in the classroom, and on the gridiron.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Not sure why some folks insist on saying this. The facts don't support a private school domination of Louisiana HS football. It's been fairly even, and probably the public schools hold an edge in state titles. But, I'd have to check that out. Yeah, like other aspects of their operations, private schools (as a whole) tend to focus on getting results. You're not as likely to see a coach (or a teacher) just drawing a paycheck and not doing their job, year after year after year. I think a good portion of public schools simply "exist." No real effort to produce results. So, that laps over into athletics as well. [at this point someone will produce exceptions to my contention. that's fine, put it out there] Last year, 4 of the 5 best 5A teams were public: Barbe, West Monroe, Ouachita Parish, Mandeville. The 5th school, Rummel, happened to get the job done (finally!! ). Left alone, my money was on the 2013 5A championship game featuring 2 of those 4. But, they had to tamper with a good thing. It is true that John Curtis has been a football factory, and now it appears Parkview Baptist is following that same path, as has Evangel and now Calvary. But, public schools like Kentwood, Haynesville, Oak Grove, Neville, Carencro, and many others have been powerhouses across the classifications for decades. If the folks in Winnfield want to see their Tigers win a state title, then do something about it. Local support, via a booster club, and strong parental support goes a long way to driving a school to achieve, both in the classroom, and on the gridiron.
    It's much easier to get "results" in the classroom and on the field when you get to choose the ones getting those results for you. No way that can be argued. I also know several private schools that are just "existing", so to lump all public schools together makes no sense. Not sure splitting it up is the answer but I do believe something had to be done.

Nothing had to be done, that's the point. You want to compete for state championships? Fine, make it happen! There is no magic potion and there are no barriers placed in the way of some schools, but not others. The very fact we have some private and public schools excelling in football, and some private and public schools wallowing proves that that distinction is not the reason.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Nothing had to be done, that's the point. You want to compete for state championships? Fine, make it happen! There is no magic potion and there are no barriers placed in the way of some schools, but not others. The very fact we have some private and public schools excelling in football, and some private and public schools wallowing proves that that distinction is not the reason.
    I completely agree with this. The problem is the "leadership" at LHSAA.

You are exactly right that nothing had to happen, but it did. Then, when the legislature sent a letter to the "leaders" of the LHSAA, saying that they wanted to know the long term plan that LHSAA had in mind, they got a response saying that LHSAA is a separate entity and does not have to answer to the legislature. True statement, but not a smart move. The state responded by telling them that they could fund their own salaries and retirements. So, you see that this has become a pissing contest for LHSAA "leadership" on several fronts.

The only good solution is to put it back the way it used to be. Otherwise, the private schools will split and the overall product will be diluted. My feeling is that the private schools would have the better league over time, and the public schools would become the lesser of the two leagues.

Interesting article. But, it doesn't change anything. ALL schools should be in the same playoff pools (by size classification). I can say this, of my experience as a high school coach, I loved my kids. Maybe we weren't very good at times. But in the end I wouldn't have traded any of 'em for "better" players. Maybe that's why they run up to me all these years later, in Walmart, and give me a bear hug, with a "How ya doing, Coach!" I coached the players I had...period. And I never thought anything but the best about them.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Byrd football might be coming back into the non-select fold after parish boundary lines, not traditional school attendance zones, were designated athletic attendance zones Friday at the Louisiana High School Athletics Association.

As things stand now, I would hate to lose Byrd from the select group. Great fans, well-coached team. Solid, solid, solid program.

Of course I hope ALL 5A schools are back together again.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

As things stand now, I would hate to lose Byrd from the select group. Great fans, well-coached team. Solid, solid, solid program.

Of course I hope ALL 5A schools are back together again.
    Did I read it right. You can choose your high school anywhere in the parish by the 9th grade? And, transferring within the parish after that will be tough to do without a sit-out year?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread