+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Guices in the Ropp Center?

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

Re: The Guices in the Ropp Center?

Would have thought DR would have moved off the hill and let the remodel for LG and his wife get started BEFORE the start of LG's new reign. I guess not.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Campus offices close at noon Fridays. What did the school president do when it was time to clock out? He put on his jeans, Tech polo, C-USA cap and sneakers and took off for football practice. Yes, you gotta love it.Attachment 10722Attachment 10723Attachment 10724Attachment 10725
    You're making me want to cry.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDog View Post
    I too think Dr. Guice's blog is fantastic and temporarily living at the Ropp is just one more action he has taken to help deepen LouisianaTech history and traditions. I can imagine a post on this board someday way in the future entitled, “What Louisiana Tech Presidents Lived in the Ropp Center?” Only those who really know their Tech history will know to include on the list the one who I believe has a chance to go down in history as the undisputed best. Another trait of his that I really like is how he places or assesses value (tradition/history) in our old buildings and looks for the architectural and financial means to save them if possible instead of first electing to knock them down.
    That is a great mural. They should reproduce high quality versions of that, if not done so already, and sell them. I'd like to have one.

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

The Ropp Center was constructed as the President's residence in 1911. It is named for President R.L. Ropp who lived there from 1949 to 1962. It was then remodeled extensively in the early 60s when F. Jay Taylor lived there before the new house was built north of the stadium.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

I'm liking Dr. Guice more and more each day simply for his desire to take the time to reach out through his blog. I hope he never gets too busy to keep it going even if if it takes several days to a week between updates.

As an aside, I keep reading about special guests being able to stay there when visiting on university business, etc... Has any thought ever been given to making it a bed and breakfast during football season for a very hefty fee? I'm sure we have plenty of alumni who would gladly pay stay there a couple of nights and be treated with special amenities. (no, not that kind you perverts) I thought I remembered this being mentioned before. I don't know how many patrons could be served, but I would imagine it would stay booked well over a year in advance. Of course, we'd need to be sure that the Guice's have moved out first, but I would imagine this could generate some decent cash flow. Heck, it could be used as a B&B all year, to be honest. Imagine two die hard Tech coeds getting married in a nice setting in Ruston and reserving a room at the Ropp for their first night then heading off to their honeymoon. How many people could say they got it on in the President of the university's house?

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I'm liking Dr. Guice more and more each day simply for his desire to take the time to reach out through his blog. I hope he never gets too busy to keep it going even if if it takes several days to a week between updates.

As an aside, I keep reading about special guests being able to stay there when visiting on university business, etc... Has any thought ever been given to making it a bed and breakfast during football season for a very hefty fee? I'm sure we have plenty of alumni who would gladly pay stay there a couple of nights and be treated with special amenities. (no, not that kind you perverts) I thought I remembered this being mentioned before. I don't know how many patrons could be served, but I would imagine it would stay booked well over a year in advance. Of course, we'd need to be sure that the Guice's have moved out first, but I would imagine this could generate some decent cash flow. Heck, it could be used as a B&B all year, to be honest. Imagine two die hard Tech coeds getting married in a nice setting in Ruston and reserving a room at the Ropp for their first night then heading off to their honeymoon. How many people could say they got it on in the President of the university's house?
    I would love it...something like the Univ of Ark's Inn at Carnell Hall. I've stayed there and it's really nice. It's always booked on the weekends for weddings, events, etc.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

I was walking to class one morning, and as I went by the president's house, Dr. Taylor comes out. He meets up with me and my friends and walks along with us chatting about our Tech time and just small talk. I was blown away that the president would do this, me being a still snotty-nosed country kid.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    I was walking to class one morning, and as I went by the president's house, Dr. Taylor comes out. He meets up with me and my friends and walks along with us chatting about our Tech time and just small talk. I was blown away that the president would do this, me being a still snotty-nosed country kid.
    Same thing happened to me, except I wasn't a snotty-nosed country kid, I was a stud future bean counter from SoCal.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I would love it...something like the Univ of Ark's Inn at Carnell Hall. I've stayed there and it's really nice. It's always booked on the weekends for weddings, events, etc.
    Carnall Hall was originally a dorm. It had been condemned for years. They said it was too expensive to rehabilitate, and too ugly to save anyway.

Hmmmmm .....

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Good potential idea. But the big hold up in my mind is what do you do if someone has the place rented when an important guest wants to come to visit. I bet there are alternatives but you don't want to be in that situation.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

If Tech had a lodging facility (http://www.thecookhotel.com/) I would pay more than I currently do at the Hampton Inn to support it. When you live in Baton Rouge every home game is an away game!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    If Tech had a lodging facility (http://www.thecookhotel.com/) I would pay more than I currently do at the Hampton Inn to support it. When you live in Baton Rouge every home game is an away game!
    If only there were an existing building, or buildings, on campus with roughly the same form as a lodging facility ...

If only there were such a structure, Tech could reuse it as high-end loging and make a killing off alums who want to stay on campus ....

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Dr. Guice seems to "get it" in a lot of ways. I'm interested to see what will happen at Tech over the next several years.

I like your idea about having a place on campus. Other schools have similar places and I would be willing to pay extra to stay there.*

*as long as it's not a dump

Champ baw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    If only there were an existing building, or buildings, on campus with roughly the same form as a lodging facility ...

If only there were such a structure, Tech could reuse it as high-end loging and make a killing off alums who want to stay on campus ....
    Harper would be perfect. It needs renovating anyway. It's close to the food courts and central to campus.

+ Reply to Thread