+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LaTech gets a nice mention as a possible to Big XII

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: LaTech gets a nice mention as a possible to Big XII

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Tim Brando talked about exactly this on his show a couple weeks ago, that La Tech is much more highly respected nationally than we are in Louisiana. He said he doesn't understand the local way of thought.
    Many of us who live "out-of-state" don't understand that "local way of thought". I suggest it goes back to the old Gulf States/Southland Conference days, when LA Tech shared conferences --and thus the media spotlight-- with other instate schools such as NLU, NSU, USL, McNeese, etc..... Most long-time Louisianians (particularly the Louisiana based media) have had a very difficult time forgetting those days, and letting go. Contrastly, most out-of-state media were never aware of Tech's association with those schools in the first place. To the later group, LA Tech has almost always been on a higher level than the other instate schools, save for LSU.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Many of us who live "out-of-state" don't understand that "local way of thought". I suggest it goes back to the old Gulf States/Southland Conference days, when LA Tech shared conferences --and thus the media spotlight-- with other instate schools such as NLU, NSU, USL, McNeese, etc..... Most long-time Louisianians (particularly the Louisiana based media) have had a very difficult time forgetting those days, and letting go. Contrastly, most out-of-state media were never aware of Tech's association with those schools in the first place. To the later group, LA Tech has almost always been on a higher level than the other instate schools, save for LSU.
    As much as I hate to say it, I think HogDawg is correct.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

This. Great post.

Champ techblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to behold

I don't always agree with HogDawg, but when I do he's spot on.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

100% correct. This way of thinking is slowly changing, as the fanbases of in-state schools, as well as the media members, evolve. Fans of the in-state schools who are younger than 44 have never been students or alums where Tech was a member of the Southland or Gulf States. The same holds true for the media. Most younger members of the media would never think of Tech and McNeese being a part of the same conference.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

I was at the baseball game last evening and we were discussing college football with some people from all over the country. One chap from Huntington, WV was very excited about Tech joining their conference and he said that getting Tech lightened the blows of losing the 'American' teams. He was totally unaware of what the other new teams - W Ky, MT, UTSA, & N Tex - would bring, (he had never heard of a couple of them) but there is value to them with Tech.

Another one of the guys was a former Aggie football player and when I told him that we had been mentioned as a possible addition to the Big 12, he said he could totally see that happening! He said we would be a middle of the pack team from the beginning - beating Baylor, T Tech, the two Kansas teams & Iowa St. He said it would only be a matter of time before we would be competing with the other 5 on a regular basis. I am not sure I even agree with his assessment, but it points definatively what others think of Tech, even if the folks in Louisiana don't.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

I have lived away, but live back in LA now. It is so frustrating to see the perception here. The worst part is our fans are equally to blame in this- we short-charge ourselves by comparing ourselves to the ulm and ull.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    I have lived away, but live back in LA now. It is so frustrating to see the perception here. The worst part is our fans are equally to blame in this- we short-charge ourselves by comparing ourselves to the ulm and ull.
    Exactly!

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

I think the local media has a lot to do with it.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I think the local media has a lot to do with it.
    Yes, the media (especially Tech grad media members) constantly state LaMon and Tech as peers. We recently heard and read about our newest radio fan (Fletch) talk about how much potential LaLaff has. Was he pushing buttons or just speaking out of ignorance? Regardless, our local fans have to constantly be on guard in the local areas. We are certainly not the ones doing the comparing.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Yes, the media (especially Tech grad media members) constantly state LaMon and Tech as peers. We recently heard and read about our newest radio fan (Fletch) talk about how much potential LaLaff has. Was he pushing buttons or just speaking out of ignorance? Regardless, our local fans have to constantly be on guard in the local areas. We are certainly not the ones doing the comparing.
    And the Shreveport media is worse than the Monroe media.

The Shreveport media absolutely worships LSU. Guilbeau articles are the front feature in The Times almost everyday. In The News-Star, you usually have to turn to page 2 to read the same Guilbeau articles. At least The News-Star separates Tech and ULM in their articles. For MBB, The Times is so lazy that they lump in Tech and NWST together for their articles.

How about newscasts? The TV stations in Monroe usually lead with ULM or Tech. In Shreveport, the TV stations either lead with LSU or the Saints. It gets worse after the LSU/Saints lovefests end. The Shreveport media then treats Tech the same as NWST, which means we don't get much attention. It's disgusting, especially KTBS now with Fletch gone.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 08-10-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

And the Shreveport media is worse than the Monroe media.

The Shreveport media absolutely worships LSU. Guilbeau articles are the front feature in The Times almost everyday. In The News-Star, you usually have to turn to page 2 to read the same Guilbeau articles. At least The News-Star separates Tech and ULM in their articles. For MBB, The Times is so lazy that they lump in Tech and NWST together for their articles.

How about newscasts? The TV stations in Monroe usually lead with ULM or Tech. In Shreveport, the TV stations either lead with LSU or the Saints. It gets worse after the LSU/Saints lovefests end. The Shreveport media then treats Tech the same as NWST, which means we don't get much attention. It's disgusting, especially KTBS now with Fletch gone.
    I am sure you are correct regarding the media. I can't say that I watch any of the local news unless I am watching for something specific, so I don't notice them untill y'all point it out. I do however; work with idiots that went to TECH that pull for lsu- and they certainly group us all together. The yahoo I am working with today loves to tell me "y'all should do....... to get people to care about TECH." This idiot remains in the 70's when he was in school. Thankfully the younger crowd tends to be a little better since we haven't been in a conference with them since they were following.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that our admin seems to follow the local media and don't know what the rest of the nation thinks of us, and therefore their expectations are far short of what they should be.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    The problem is that our admin seems to follow the local media and don't know what the rest of the nation thinks of us, and therefore their expectations are far short of what they should be.
    Exactly! Don't know what to do about this. Our perception and name nationally is MUCH better than locally and has been for a long time. The people of N. Louisiana just don't know it.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I had a long conversation with Dr. Guice about this subject following the Baton Rouge event in May. I got the impression he was aware of the differing perceptions. As someone who spent 250 weeks on the road and touching all parts of the country and a few parts of the globe from 1996 to 2006, I can certainly attest to these differences.

I actually think it's more profound than even the individuals on this board realize.

I'll give just one example, but there are numerous others. I was in New York the day before the South Carolina Republican primary in 2000. In the middle of driving a snowstorm. I was on the subway leaving work to eventually head for Laguardia airport. As I often do, I was wearing a small Tech pin. In this case, it was on my overcoat. Two young girls, who appeared to be of Puerto Rican descent, were sitting across from me speaking spanish. One of them pointed to the pin, said something in Spanish, and then said "Lady Techsters".

When I wear that pin, it doesn't matter if it's Mexico City or Montreal, people associate it with Louisiana Tech. Whether it's our "crazy wide open offense" or "that's the schools Bradshaw and Malone went to" or "your girl's basketball is incredible" it is amazing the comments it generates.
    Last edited by The Historian; 08-12-2013 at 06:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread