+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Cameron

Varsity Bulldog collardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to behold collardgreens's Avatar

Update on Cameron

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/08/...-panthers.html 4th-string Carolina Panthers QB Colby Cameron wants to follow Jake Delhomme’s path

Published: August 10, 2013 Updated 11 hours ago
    2013-08-11T05:53:33Z By Tom Sorensen

2013 Carolina Panthers Training Camp | Spartanburg, S.C.
    By Tom Sorensen — tsorensen@charlotteobserver.com
    SPARTANBURG — As Colby Cameron opens the door to Wofford’s Student Life Building, he sees somebody walking several yards behind him. So he holds the door and waits.
    You don’t have to do that, I tell him. You’re a star.
    “I’m not a star,” Cameron says.
    Cameron is Carolina’s fourth-team quarterback.
    “You grow up your whole life watching the NFL and now you’re actually here,” says Cameron, a rookie who grew up in Southern California and played at Louisiana Tech. “I think it’s a pretty big deal no matter if you’re first string or fourth string.”
    The difference between being first team and fourth team is vast. Fans scream for starting quarterback Cam Newton’s autograph when he walks off the field. Cameron doesn’t hear many fans scream and when he does they usually say, “No. 16, can we have your autograph?”
    Newton does an interview in the Student Life Center and 20 members of the media encompass him. Fifteen yards away Cameron talks. He gets one of us.
    The Panthers run a 9-on-7 drill and Newton gets his repetitions, and then Derek Anderson and then Jimmy Clausen. When it’s Cameron’s turn, the drill ends.
    “Obviously you get less reps but still every day you come in and try to work and learn something,” he says.
    At Louisiana Tech last season Cameron broke Russell Wilson’s NCAA record for passes thrown without an interception (379). Cameron threw 428 without an interception last season and 444 in his career. He won the Sammy Baugh Award last season as college football’s best passer. (Wilson, the former N.C. State quarterback, set the previous record as a senior at Wisconsin.)
    Despite the limited reps, Cameron is a natural. As he stands on Newton’s left during mini-camp, Newton sticks his arm in the air and points to the names on the back of their jerseys: “Cameron Newton.”
    Cameron plays, too. Joe Adams runs a corner route at practice last week and Cameron hits him with a pretty pass in the left corner of the end zone.
    Anybody notice?
    “Oh, yeah,” says Ken Dorsey, Carolina’s quarterback coach and a former Miami Hurricanes’ star. “We look at every rep he takes. We definitely try to teach him off that. A testament to Colby is that when he’s not in there he wants to know every play. He wants to know what the route is so he can go through it in his head.”
    Nobody keeps four quarterbacks. What are his options?
    “You get out there and do everything you can and who knows,” says Dorsey. “You’ve seen it a million times in this league. I really believe he’s got every opportunity to make a roster, be it ours or anybody else’s.”
    Fourth-team quarterbacks can become starters. One of them has thrown for more yards than any player in Panthers history.
    Undrafted out of Louisiana-Lafayette, Jake Delhomme played for New Orleans from 1997-2002. He was on the practice squad. He was twice sent to NFL Europe. Who’s that on the end of the bench? It’s him.
    “In ’98 and ’99 I was a camp arm,” Delhomme says from Breaux Bridge, La., where he grew up and still lives, raising and racing thoroughbreds.
    How do you become more than an arm?
    “You do whatever you have to do,” says Delhomme, 38. “You throw with receivers after practice. You hold the dummy for special teams. It’s not brown-nosing. It’s trying to catch somebody’s eye. I was king of the 9-on-7drill. When they see you in the individual drills, they’re not afraid to throw you in a game.”
    When you do play, you have to get it right.
    “So if somebody whiffs on a block or runs the wrong route,” Delhomme says.
    Delhomme played in six games in five seasons in New Orleans and started two. Yet the Panthers and Dallas Cowboys saw enough to court him in 2003. He signed with Carolina and played 91 games. The lone game in which he played but failed to start was his first.
    It was the 2003 opener at home against Jacksonville. Delhomme replaced Rodney Peete at halftime. The Panthers trailed 17-0.
    If you were there, you still remember, and when you think about it, you smile. The second half was one of the most exhilarating in team history. There were interceptions and touchdowns, mainly touchdowns. The third and final touchdown pass came on fourth down, with 16 seconds remaining. Ricky Proehl, now Carolina’s wide receivers coach, caught it, and the Panthers won 24-23.
    The opportunity to experience what Delhomme did is why fourth-team quarterbacks do everything but brown nose.
    “OK. This just happened,” Delhomme remembers thinking after the game. He went home to his wife, Keri, and their infant daughter, Lauren. They likely watched Baby Einstein.
    “I probably had a beer,” says Delhomme.
    He adds: “The biggest thing was I couldn’t wait to get to work the next morning. Tampa Bay was coming in, and they had won the Super Bowl. I knew I could do more.”
    Delhomme’s school, Louisiana-Lafayette, is 180 miles from Cameron’s school, Louisiana Tech.
    You know who Delhomme is?
    “Yup,” says Cameron.
    If a receiver wants to run routes after practice, Cameron will find him. He rarely leaves when his teammates do.
    Does he hold the door open for the quarterbacks’ coach, too?
    Dorsey laughs.

“He’s a good guy,” Dorsey says. “You love being around him because he’s a sponge, because of all the questions he asks. He’s really eager to learn. That work ethic does not go unnoticed.”

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Update on Cameron

So proud of Colby, and all our guys from the class of 2012-13. What a special class of Bulldogs was Colby & Crew, who (I believe) set the bar for not only this year's team, but for the future of our program.

Champ MiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond repute

Nice write up...keep working hard Colby!!!

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Love that so many of our guys in the last 2 classes have been described as "good guys", "eager", and "sponges". Speaks a lot to our recruiting. Good read.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    So proud of Colby, and all our guys from the class of 2012-13. What a special class of Bulldogs was Colby & Crew, who (I believe) set the bar for not only this year's team, but for the future of our program.
    The only way I could agree more is if you had used more superlatives.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

Colby is continuing his football career in Japan!!!!!

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2.../#.U2cA0PldWSo

Cameron settles in quickly as Frontiers thrash Hurricanes

The Fujitsu Frontiers might just have found the quarterback to solve their long-lasting problems at the position.Colby Cameron has found a place to continue his football career, and both parties have taken advantage.Former Louisiana Tech quarterback Cameron made an impressive debut in the X League when he helped the Frontiers rout the Hurricanes 93-0 on Sunday in the preliminary round of the Pearl Bowl Tournament at Kawasaki Fujimi Stadium.Cameron led seven of eight possessions he played to touchdowns, establishing a 42-0 lead before he left the game with 3:45 remaining in the first half. He completed 12 of 14 for 179 yards and three touchdowns. He was picked off once.“(My performance) was OK,” said Cameron, who had a 14-7 record with the Bulldogs. “It feels good to play football after spending a couple of years out. I was little rusty but all the things we put in this offense went pretty well.“I guess the communications (with Japanese teammates) are great. We had no problems today. That’s very helpful to know.”The 189-cm, 89-kg Cameron is one of two American quarterbacks currently starting for X League teams. The other is Kevin Craft of IBM, a UCLA product.Cameron had his best season with the Bulldogs as a senior in 2012 when he completed 359 of 522 for 4,147 yards and 31 touchdowns and won the Sammy Baugh Award for the best passer. He also set an NCAA record for most consecutive pass attempts without an interception in a single season (428).He wasn’t drafted by the NFL last year, but signed with the Carolina Panthers only to be cut during the training camp.Under X League rules, each team can have a maximum four foreign players on the roster and play up to two of them on the field at the same time. Any foreign players who have played in any professional football leagues are not eligible to play in the X League.Cameron was cut by the Panthers without playing a single game, so he is eligible to play in the X League. Because the Frontiers are a company-owned team, Cameron works in the human resources department of Fujitsu Ltd.“When I met (Cameron) earlier this year, I liked him as a person,” said Fujitsu head coach Satoshi Fujita. “He has a good technique and a lot of knowledge of football. He is the kind of the guy who Japanese players learn from. The quarterback position has been one of our problems for years. I am confident that he will fit into Japanese football.”Now Cameron has set his goal of guiding his team to the national championship. But what if he gets a call from the NFL again this summer?“Right now I’m committed to Fujitsu. I’m here for good,” Cameron said.The Frontiers, the runnersup at last year’s Pearl Bowl Tournament, dominated offensively, gaining 622 yards and scored 12 touchdowns. Geno Gordon and Keita Takanohashi each scored three times while backup quarterback Keiya Hiramoto threw for two touchdowns.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Way to go, Cameron...............

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future

I guess this is the old AAU model where teams like Phillips 66 had really good basketball players made up of "employees"

Big Dog WonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of light WonderDawg's Avatar

Keep up the good work Colby, I loved watching you games at Tech.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

The Hurricanes seemed to fizzle out to a tropical depression....
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Big Dog Cory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud of Cory's Avatar

I didn't even know they played American-Football in Japan... It looks like Colby put on a little muscle, which is a plus since his arm strength seemed to be one of the biggest obstacles that he faced moving forward. Maybe he'll be able to improve and come back to the states.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I didn't even know they played American-Football in Japan... It looks like Colby put on a little muscle, which is a plus since his arm strength seemed to be one of the biggest obstacles that he faced moving forward. Maybe he'll be able to improve and come back to the states.
    I went to a company-league game when I was there. It was. . . entertaining.

Also saw our current WR coach play in the Osaka Dome in an exhibition against Steve Spurrier (who was coaching his first NFL game).

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

I wonder how much a person working in the personnel dept. for Fujitsu makes?

Big Dog Cory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud of Cory's Avatar

Am I the only one who thinks it's (at least a little) ironic that Manziel is going to be throwing passes to Colby's brother? lol

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

+ Reply to Thread