+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013-2014 Duck Season

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Re: 2013-2014 Duck Season

A great morning at The Plain Dealing Duck Club!duck2014 001.jpgduck2014 002.jpgduck2014 003.jpg
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

When you get a bunch of ducks you gotta pull out the big guns to help pluck and clean them! Ended up this evening with a pile of whole, beautifully plucked and ready for whole roasting with carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, etc. If you've never eaten a wild duck that was treated properly throughout the process then you're missing out for sure. I've had folks (even fellow friends/duck hunters) tell me they don't like to eat wild duck. I kinda giggle when I hear that.
    Most of the "big-time" duck hunters I know are there for the bang/splash and camp experience. For me and a few of my close hunting buddies the bang/splash is just the beginning. It has always baffled me: Why spend all that time, effort, and money and not know what to do at the best part of the experience...the part that truly rounds-out the whole deal? A fine supper of game that you procured. Not just the little, easy to do duck filets wrapped in bacon and stuffed with whatever....you're throwing away the vast majority of the good stuff.
    Anyway..after cleaning up the shop we sauteed the duck hearts and livers in real butter with chopped garlic, salt pepper and a few other things then ate them on toast. Truly one of the finer things mankind could ever taste. If you immediately said "Gross!" then I feel sorry for you. There's so much more to experience in every aspect of life and getting to know your food, every last bit of it, from start to finish is simply divine...night all.duck2014 005.jpg

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

talked to a guy in our lease, said they went wed and got one. really in the time of year its a total hit or miss thang aint it. hopefully Saturday will be a hit

Charlie, Jack and I will be gettin' after them tomorrow. After so many years of never taking a vacay, not hunting any or much in December and such I got my employees together at work and said, "You'd best get your minds' right for the next few days cause I'm not coming home til Monday!"...and I meant it. I'm gonna get after them Fri, Sat, and Sun. I'm like a little kid again in the fact that I'm so excited I can't begin to think about going to bed and I have duck hunting strategies coursing through my veins...all of which will prove to be wrong the next three days but damn I'm not gonna be at work (I hope) and my wife actually said "Good for you-you've earned it" when I told her my plans. It wasn't one of those "Sure-Go ahead" replies from your wife that means you're really in trouble either. Ahhhh....life is good right now!

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Charlie, Jack and I will be gettin' after them tomorrow. After so many years of never taking a vacay, not hunting any or much in December and such I got my employees together at work and said, "You'd best get your minds' right for the next few days cause I'm not coming home til Monday!"...and I meant it. I'm gonna get after them Fri, Sat, and Sun. I'm like a little kid again in the fact that I'm so excited I can't begin to think about going to bed and I have duck hunting strategies coursing through my veins...all of which will prove to be wrong the next three days but damn I'm not gonna be at work (I hope) and my wife actually said "Good for you-you've earned it" when I told her my plans. It wasn't one of those "Sure-Go ahead" replies from your wife that means you're really in trouble either. Ahhhh....life is good right now!
    there ya go, gotta make time for yourself. man, bet jack has grown, had brought Charlie a bunch of camo a couple years ago, prob need to get together another care package for him. Brendan will be completely out of hand'me'down camo this year. hate the thought of having to start buying it

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Glad y'all had a fun couple of days to end our season in the west zone. Wish I could have been there to see the ducks piling in after shooting hours. Even though you can't shoot them, it's so cool to witness that scene.
    Good old Memorial Gym

me and the boy got invited to another blind sunday morning east of monroe. had been hearing the whole second split where they were loaded down when no one else had birds. we were not disappointed. got a 3 man limit by 9 when Brendan filled his "legit" limit with a cupped mallard hen floating down into the decoys. Fist bumps and pats on the back all the way around He really grew up yesterday morning in that blind. Now I guess to fill the triple crown, after the duck limit, the nice 8pt, we need to focus on turkeys more. fingers crossed !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    me and the boy got invited to another blind sunday morning east of monroe. had been hearing the whole second split where they were loaded down when no one else had birds. we were not disappointed. got a 3 man limit by 9 when Brendan filled his "legit" limit with a cupped mallard hen floating down into the decoys. Fist bumps and pats on the back all the way around He really grew up yesterday morning in that blind. Now I guess to fill the triple crown, after the duck limit, the nice 8pt, we need to focus on turkeys more. fingers crossed !!

That smile says everything you need to know. Time well spent!!

When you are a true duck hunter you tend to age in duck seasons rather than on your birthday. I aged another one this past weekend and couldn't have asked for a finer ending. I got a hunt in with my Dad, my good friend, fraternity brother and old roommate and his son....who's now old enough to be a duck hunter himself and I told him as much...and he smiled.
    Those of you that duck hunt can understand..and those of you that don't probably can as well: It's not so much about the killing and such. More so about the time spent outdoors. The sun coming up and all of nature waking up with it and the sun going down and all of nature scurrying about to get tucked in or to get going...depending on species.
    It all serves to remind me that; as humans, we are truly included in this whole thing. It is our duty to take part in nature as hunter/gatherers or protectors and participants. The former begets the latter more often and more strongly than not.
    We ended with beautiful weather, a few ducks, and a great picture or two of a great duck dog and the harvest from some mediocre hunters.duck2014 007.jpgduck2014 008.jpg

had a great time on the Saturday hunt but it was extended maybe two hours past what I originally planned to stay. groups of ducks were spread out just enough to make you stay. had a few birds between 11 and 12 and then decided to leave . . ... . 6 times I took the final shell out of the gun then someone would spot a duck. I'd load back up, shoot, wait a few minutes unload, someone would spot a duck, I'd load, shoot, wait a few minutes . . . SIX TIMES !!! we were all laughing in the blind, prob one of my fondest memories in a duck blind. we had quite a bit of color in our string as well as the mallards and greenwings came in early and the woodies and pintail came in late.

today a fairly steady stream of ducks. had 17 when I go out of the blind and total take was 22.

I have had a great duck season full of memories but I'd be lie'n if I said I wasn't ready to get some sleep past 3am on Sat and Sunday mornings

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

This is a nice thread to read. congratulations on a fun season.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    Not often you see a sprig and a wood duck killed out of the same blind on the same hunt. Never happened in my group anyway.

A friend of mine in Rayville killed 3 banded wood ducks on his Saturday morning hunt. Strange!

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

That pintail drake looks huge! Glad y'all had a fun season.
    Good old Memorial Gym

finished out the last day of the 2013-14 duck season, now I don't HAVE to get up at 3 am until next Nov. Thoroughly enjoyed the place, the people and the hunts. Lots of thrills, laughs, eats and excitement . . . . but I've gotta get some rest for a few Saturdays

come on turkey season . . . . .

+ Reply to Thread