+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tech Home Game With No Prayer

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Tech Home Game With No Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Lawyers are obligated to abide by a higher standard of professional conduct than other businessmen, and I do mean "other" because many lawyers are also businessmen. Those that don't face disbarment.
    Theoretically. Realistically it is laughable.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by rlmiddle View Post
    The Amendment was put into place to stop the establishment of any one religion being the state religion of the United States.

This was done in response to the Anglican Church being the official State Church of England.

The 1st amendment is very clear and concise in its language about making no law establishing a religion.

The United States was formed as a Christian Nation that is tolerant of other religions.

Amendment I
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Lawyers have screwed that one up.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I absolutely believe this to be true. Our founding fathers clearly understood the detrimental influence politics and government interference played in the Church of England, and wanted no part of it here in America. Many people misunderstand the "separation of church and state". It's intended to keep government out of church business, not the other way around.
    I believe you are right. What astounds me is those that scream for tolerance are typically the most intolerant.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Thank you for policing my prepositions--I suppose rather than "to" I should have used "through."

I know you know this as well, but it's worth noting the university community includes people beyond the Christian or Jewish faiths. I rather doubt people who find a Christian prayer acceptable would be as accepting of public prayer if it were offered to a different entity.
    That is true

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

This thread took on a much broader scope than my original thoughts - no problem with that, it seems to be a healthy discussion. However my original thought was that some outsiders may have Bullied us into altering our traditions. As in, we are Louisiana Tech and can handle our own affairs and need no help from outsiders. And if we choose to say a prayer (naming Jesus or not)(led by a Baptist, Catholic, Buddhist, etc. or even DogtorEvil standing on a beer keg at midfield) we will do so!

+ Reply to Thread