+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAC media rights

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Conf American AAC media rights

American Athletic considers grant-of-rights for schools to sweeten next media rights deal

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...leges/AAC.aspx
    Last edited by Dawg06; 12-11-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: AAC media rights

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    American Athletic considers grant-of-rights for schools to sweeten next media rights deal

I sure wish LA Tech could get out of CUSA and join the AAC. We're perfectly situated geographically, and of course 4 of our old WAC/CUSA conference mates are already there (Tulsa, SMU, Tulane & ECU). Unfortunately, I not aware of any plan or long term strategy that our leadership is pursuing to achieve such a goal. Our leadership just seems happy to be in CUSA.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I sure wish LA Tech could get out of CUSA and join the AAC. We're perfectly situated geographically, and of course 4 of our old WAC/CUSA conference mates are already there (Tulsa, SMU, Tulane & ECU). Unfortunately, I not aware of any plan or long term strategy that our leadership is pursuing to achieve such a goal. Our leadership just seems happy to be in CUSA.
    It would the BEST situation that might have a chance of happening. I hope the powers realize they need to be working on this now with a continuing protracted effort.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

I think our biggest hurdles are USM and Marshall. It would have to be a BIG realignment to get there.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post
    I think our biggest hurdles are USM and Marshall. It would have to be a BIG realignment to get there.
    USM has really poor leadership right now, and is not a real threat. However, it doesn't help our cause when USM's obviously inferior football teams beat us 4 years in a row. That's on Skip Holtz.

Marshall probably has one of the inside tracks to the AAC.

Probably the first CUSA team the AAC will admit will be newbie ODU. The Monarchs have a great location, great academics and a huge athletic budget. I suspect ODU will be invited to join the AAC within the next 5 years.

LA Tech's best shot will come when the AAC needs to add someone in the west. Preferably two or more adds at one time. For example, two adds may include ODU in the east, and LA Tech in the west. Or 4 adds might include ODU & Marshall in the east, along with LA Tech and USM in the west.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post

The story has a lot of holes in it, to say the least. The Big 12 Grant of Rights expire on June 30, 2025. I don't think any of the AAC schools is going to sign a Grant of Rights deal that goes past the 2024-25 academic year for that reason alone.

Realignment may not happen at all if FAANG gets involved. Why would any of the Power 5 leagues make any changes/expand if each has a corporate partner that rains down outrageous amounts of cash into the situation and doesn't push for expanded content?

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I think there is a better understanding of the situation today than when we received the CUSA invitation in 2012.

The question of future AAC membership came up in the days and weeks following that announcement. There were individuals within our athletic department and on the Athletics Council answering that question by saying "why would we want to be in a conference with schools who have athletic budgets that are as much as triple our own"? That statement was made on campus time and time again. It was obvious that's the picture they wanted to paint at the time.

It was a combination of the old Ruston problem that's always present. "As long as we're ahead of ULM everything is ok" along with the real fact that most of the leadership on campus has no business experience. Very few on campus understand that realignment is a business situation in which Tech is either going to keep moving forward or die on the vine. They can't see what all this could look like 20 years from now.

As I said I think there is a better understanding today under Guice. But does Guice even understand what needs to be done to just keep us where we are now? I'm just not sure of the answer to that.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

The AAC was very lucky in the fact that they had good leadership and a better quality product to sell. Also the timing for them was much better that for CUSA. I do however think that their tv contract will not be even close to current one. I don't care what that article says. I remember CUSA coming back to reality immediately after preliminary negotiations on our tv contract when we first came here.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    The AAC was very lucky in the fact that they had good leadership and a better quality product to sell. Also the timing for them was much better that for CUSA. I do however think that their tv contract will not be even close to current one. I don't care what that article says. I remember CUSA coming back to reality immediately after preliminary negotiations on our tv contract when we first came here.
    I'm not sold Aresco is a good leader. Let's see if he can really deliver.

I think the AAC's product is marginally better than C-USA, but the AAC is supremely better at the PR game. I think people scoff at their P6 campaign because everyone knows they aren't a power conference, but what they have done is make people believe they are by far the best G5 conference when in reality they aren't. The MWC earned the claim of best G5 conference on the field this year and will be rewarded for it by the CFP distribution.

I also find it hard to believe those TV contract numbers floating around for the AAC's next deal. To get that money, the AAC will have to play games in a lot of undesirable TV time slots that their fans won't like and will result in poor attendance. The good thing about the C-USA contract that rarely gets mentioned is that the schools took back control of when we play to benefit the fans who want to attend for the most part. C-USA and the MWC said "no" to more money with bad game dates/times while the AAC, MAC, and Belch sold out to ESPN.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 01-22-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I would take Aresco over Judy any day of the week. They have done a much better job in the PR department. I just think that the long game is catching up with them. Look at UConn's financial struggles becoming public is the first real glimpse inside the upper tier of AAC and it don't look pretty.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

We are the SJW conference. Our commisioner wears pantsuits... and we pay her 600K to do so

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    I would take Aresco over Judy any day of the week. They have done a much better job in the PR department. I just think that the long game is catching up with them. Look at UConn's financial struggles becoming public is the first real glimpse inside the upper tier of AAC and it don't look pretty.
    Keep in mind that those stories about UConn are way overblown. Those stories don't account for general fund money and student fee money. The same could be said for every program outside of the P5. Houston and UCF are both very similar to UConn. But their local media aren't trying to spin the facts in such a negative light.

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Keep in mind that those stories about UConn are way overblown. Those stories don't account for general fund money and student fee money. The same could be said for every program outside of the P5. Houston and UCF are both very similar to UConn. But their local media aren't trying to spin the facts in such a negative light.
    I can see that but it isn't the right narrative a program or conference wants to project just before negotiating another tv contract. A lot of Uconn's problems are self inflicted. Bad coaching hires have taken its toll and they are in a tough market which leaves no room for error.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...TJn?ocid=ientp

12-year - $1 Billion with ESPN ~ $7 Million per school per year
    The new pact does not include a grant of rights clause, which some have hinted at during the negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...TJn?ocid=ientp

12-year - $1 Billion with ESPN ~ $7 Million per school per year
    Wow. Nice deal. It's really too bad that LA Tech is not in the AAC. It's where we belong. But unfortunately, we're barely competitive in football and men's basketball anymore, and not competitive at all in women's BB.

+ Reply to Thread