+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've done this before, and I'm going to do it again.

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

I've done this before, and I'm going to do it again.

I was all upset with the new coach. I ranted and raved just like I'm doing with this one, and then suddenly, I changed my mind. I've done it before, and here's the proof.

I'm Standing by Coach Dykes for 3 Years Before...

I'm going to give Coach Holtz the benefit of the doubt. I decided to give Dykes 3 years to get things straight before I started complaining, and it worked out. So, I'm giving Coach Holtz my vote of confidence that he can get it done in 3 seasons. If not, then I will start the complaining again. I might not be happy for the rest of this season and the next 2, but I'm going to stand by him.

That is all. Carry on...

with yo bad self.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Re: I've done this before, and I'm going to do it again.

I have to agree, even though the understandable emotion is to call for his head right now. You just can't fire a coach in his first season. The first season, a new coach is dealing with the former coach's recuits, and usually implementing new philosophies with a new coaching staff. As I said in another thread, a firs-year coach shouldn't get all of the glory if things go well, or all of the blame if things go poorly.

Plus, other coaches see things like this and they take notice. As much as we all love Louisiana Tech, our school doesn't have the resources that Texas has, so coaches have to work hard to recruit and win. If you fire a coach in his first season, then what other coach would take that job? What would he think of his own prospects of succeeding at Louisiana Tech? It would scare a lot of good coaches away, especially good, young coaches, which is the type of coach we would look for to replace Holtz.

Dooley left us in pretty good shape when he moved on. He had recuited well, and left a lot of talent on the roster. Dykes, on the other hand, was only concerned with his resume. He lived off of Dooley's recruits, brought in juco players, and left as soon as he had a big season. Hopefully Holtz will be more like Dooley in that regard.

I'm not sure if I'm willing to give him three years. If this current trend continues, I might cut it to two. Either way, you just can't fire a coach in the middle of year one.

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    As I said in another thread, a firs-year coach shouldn't get all of the glory if things go well...
    Unless your name is Les Miles, right? Just kidding. Sorry to bring up another school here.

Dykes screwed Louisiana Tech, and that's where a lot of blame should lie. Thankfully, he's getting his @$% handed to him at Cal. The over confident prick he is.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Since your rose colored glasses are on, can you ask him what in the world Hunter Lee did that was so bad that he won't let him involve him in the offensive game plan? In all seriousness, I want to know why Hunter is being treated like a red-headed step child...After he tells you, will you come back and post it for us to know? Thanks
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Since your rose colored glasses are on, can you ask him what in the world Hunter Lee did that was so bad that he won't let him involve him in the offensive game plan? In all seriousness, I want to know why Hunter is being treated like a red-headed step child...After he tells you, will you come back and post it for us to know? Thanks
    I didn't say I wouldn't be disappointed, but I'm going to give him a chance.

And to answer your question, yes, I'll ask.

Coach Holtz, what did Hunter Lee do wrong? Why can't he get the ball more often? Thanks!

Varsity Bulldog upsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    Dykes screwed Louisiana Tech, and that's where a lot of blame should lie. Thankfully, he's getting his @$% handed to him at Cal. The over confident prick he is.
    Dykes screwed us after the Texas A&M game when he started job hunting while he was suppose to prepare us to clinch the Orange bowl. But Dykes is not the reason that Hunter Lee is not getting the ball this year or that we go 3 and out because Holtz called 3 running plays up the middle in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by upsetpuppydog View Post
    Dykes screwed us after the Texas A&M game when he started job hunting while he was suppose to prepare us to clinch the Orange bowl.
    I agree with that.

Puppy luckydawg is on top of his/her gameluckydawg is on top of his/her gameluckydawg is on top of his/her gameluckydawg is on top of his/her gameluckydawg is on top of his/her gameluckydawg is on top of his/her gameluckydawg is on top of his/her gameluckydawg is on top of his/her gameluckydawg is on top of his/her gameluckydawg is on top of his/her gameluckydawg is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    I was all upset with the new coach. I ranted and raved just like I'm doing with this one, and then suddenly, I changed my mind. I've done it before, and here's the proof.

I'm Standing by Coach Dykes for 3 Years Before...

I'm going to give Coach Holtz the benefit of the doubt. I decided to give Dykes 3 years to get things straight before I started complaining, and it worked out. So, I'm giving Coach Holtz my vote of confidence that he can get it done in 3 seasons. If not, then I will start the complaining again. I might not be happy for the rest of this season and the next 2, but I'm going to stand by him.

That is all. Carry on...

with yo bad self.

I couldn't agree more......+1

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Dykes screwed us after the Texas A&M game when he started job hunting while he was suppose to prepare us to clinch the Orange bowl. But Dykes is not the reason that Hunter Lee is not getting the ball this year or that we go 3 and out because Holtz called 3 running plays up the middle in a row.
    How often did HL get the ball last year?

Puppy Bulldog_and_texanfaninwv is just really niceBulldog_and_texanfaninwv is just really niceBulldog_and_texanfaninwv is just really niceBulldog_and_texanfaninwv is just really niceBulldog_and_texanfaninwv is just really niceBulldog_and_texanfaninwv is just really niceBulldog_and_texanfaninwv is just really niceBulldog_and_texanfaninwv is just really niceBulldog_and_texanfaninwv is just really niceBulldog_and_texanfaninwv is just really niceBulldog_and_texanfaninwv is just really nice

Well, let's just see how this season ends. If the team gets better toward the end of the season, and it looks like they're getting better, then I'll just shut up and support him. The team does look like they're getting a little better, but they still have a lot of mistakes to fix though.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

To fairly judge the coaching staff the record is 3-3 right now since coaching won the Kansas game but player snafus lost it.

Here are my letter grades for the coaching staff on the six exams so far with numbers to get a mid-term average....and some comments

N.C. State--C (75) Not terrible for a first road game at a BC$ conference team, and the game would have been closer without fumbles
    Lamar--D- (62) as bad as that win looked, a win can't be an F
    Tulane--F- (52) clear fail all the way around
    Kansas--B (85) easily good enough for a 2 TD win without the fumbles and FG misses, A- (92) without the mistakes but results matter
    Army--F (55) just not good enough
    UTEP--B- (82) again should been a much easier win and kept this grade from being a B+

Average to date---68.5 (D+)

With the remaining schedule left, 5 wins minimum are needed to have any chance at a C grade for the season. I would take 6-6 and a bowl bid right now very happily...we need the extra practice time with this team.

Champ Goose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to behold Goose's Avatar

I've seen this all over the place. What did I miss? Is there any proof that Dykes was job shopping?

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    I've seen this all over the place. What did I miss? Is there any proof that Dykes was job shopping?
    Proof? This is BBB!

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

I love it! We hate Dykes cause he didn't clinch the Orange Bowl but defend Holtz after a win at UTEP!

+ Reply to Thread