+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 11/8 @Saint Mary's game

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: 11/8 @Saint Mary's game

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Yeah it would -

You might get a TTech or OSU to play a home and home for a minimum fee to get a star player a home game in front of family

But good teams COST big dollars - even home and homes
    What I don't understand is why we couldn't take the $100K or whatever Saint Mary's is giving us and give it back to them next year in exchange for a return game?

In the offseason Coach White said that he was only going to schedule two money games. Saint Mary's became the third so I don't think he scheduled this one for the money. It seemed more like an RPI/resume game to me.

Am I just totally off here?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I think he wanted a rpi boost -

But next year it may pay dividends if they can work something out
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I don't know if the "sky is falling" comment was directed at me or not, but I definitely don't think the sky is falling. I just think we missed a golden opportunity. Since I have no faith in our football, WBB, or baseball coaches, I have put my full faith into Coach White and this basketball team. Coach White has made it very clear this team's goal is to earn a bid to the NCAA Tournament. There are two ways to do that: auto bid or at-large bid.

If this team plans on relying on the auto bid, then that puts a lot of pressure on three/four games in three/four days in El Paso, and we saw how that went last year in Vegas.

The other way to achieve our goal is to earn an at-large bid. I think we need one win out of Saint Mary's, Oklahoma State, or Oklahoma on our resume to get that, and I don't think we can beat Oklahoma State. I know Saint Mary's is really good, but I thought Saint Mary's was our best chance of those three because we got them the first game. SMC lost their All-American point guard Dellavedova to the NBA, and we were returning almost everybody. I knew it would be an upset if we won because we were 7-point underdogs, but I still expected us to win. There was a lot of hype around this team as we were picked to win C-USA by USA Today, CBS Sports, Blue Ribbon, and Athlon. That's why this was so disappointing to me.

More so, it was disappointing to find out that this was a money game. Our home OOC slate is as uninteresting as always. I thought we finally landed an attractive home OOC opponent, but I was wrong.
    I don't think there was any chance at us landing an at-large bid. Maybe, theoretically, we could run the table and then lose in the tourney championship, and that would get us in. But we'd have to finish unbeaten in conference play and win a game or two against tourney teams. C-USA just isn't good enough to be a two-bid league without something truly unbelievable happening. No matter what we do during the season, we're going to need to win the conference tourney to go dancing.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

They will be a 2 bid league

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    I don't think there was any chance at us landing an at-large bid. Maybe, theoretically, we could run the table and then lose in the tourney championship, and that would get us in. But we'd have to finish unbeaten in conference play and win a game or two against tourney teams. C-USA just isn't good enough to be a two-bid league without something truly unbelievable happening. No matter what we do during the season, we're going to need to win the conference tourney to go dancing.
    Middle Tennessee got an at-large bid last year out of the Belch. Much worse than the WAC and C-USA.

Us, UTEP, UAB, Middle Tn, USM,Tulsa - all have legit shots with 24+ wins and decent tourney runs

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Us, UTEP, UAB, Middle Tn, USM,Tulsa - all have legit shots with 24+ wins and decent tourney runs
    And Charlotte. I think Charlotte will finish in the top 4.

And ODU will not be down for long

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Unt Re: 11/8 @Saint Mary's game

I don't know if the "sky is falling" comment was directed at me or not,
    Mine was not directed at you. I didn't read anything like that in your posts.

To pad our at-large bid resume you wanted a win at Saint Mary's and had tagged them as most likely (SMC, OK, OK State). So did I. While I still hope for a win against Oklahoma or OK State, I think it is extremely important that we avoid any "bad" losses that would hurt our RPI. I'm pulling for all of our opponents to have a good record in their other games. That would help.

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    Mine was not directed at you. I didn't read anything like that in your posts.

To pad our at-large bid resume you wanted a win at Saint Mary's and had tagged them as most likely (SMC, OK, OK State). So did I. While I still hope for a win against Oklahoma or OK State, I think it is extremely important that we avoid any "bad" losses that would hurt our RPI. I'm pulling for all of our opponents to have a good record in their other games. That would help.
    Did you keep an eye on the Southern vs. Middle Tennessee game this afternoon? MT had to mount a comeback to squeak by the Jags, 78-75.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Did you keep an eye on the Southern vs. Middle Tennessee game this afternoon? MT had to mount a comeback to squeak by the Jags, 78-75.
    No games for me today. That's fairly unusual during basketball season. I'm glad both of those teams have to come to Ruston to play us. We also get Charlotte, North Texas, Tulsa, both Florida teams, Marshall, and Rice at home. We need to win all of these. I hope we can win 5 or 6 (or more) of the 8 road conference games.

Like Dwayne said earlier, I would be happy with a top 4 finish and a bracket opposite UTEP. However, I'm hoping for at least 25 regular season wins and then a tournament championship. I don't want to worry about an at-large berth, but I want us to be in position to get one if it is needed.

There was a lot of hype around this team as we were picked to win C-USA by USA Today, CBS Sports, Blue Ribbon, and Athlon. That's why this was so disappointing to me.
    You can add Sports Illustrated to the list of publications that predicted Tech to win C-USA. SI ranked Tech #48 as a 12-seed in their field of 68.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I don't know if the "sky is falling" comment was directed at me or not, but I definitely don't think the sky is falling. I just think we missed a golden opportunity. Since I have no faith in our football, WBB, or baseball coaches, I have put my full faith into Coach White and this basketball team. Coach White has made it very clear this team's goal is to earn a bid to the NCAA Tournament. There are two ways to do that: auto bid or at-large bid.

If this team plans on relying on the auto bid, then that puts a lot of pressure on three/four games in three/four days in El Paso, and we saw how that went last year in Vegas.

The other way to achieve our goal is to earn an at-large bid. I think we need one win out of Saint Mary's, Oklahoma State, or Oklahoma on our resume to get that, and I don't think we can beat Oklahoma State. I know Saint Mary's is really good, but I thought Saint Mary's was our best chance of those three because we got them the first game. SMC lost their All-American point guard Dellavedova to the NBA, and we were returning almost everybody. I knew it would be an upset if we won because we were 7-point underdogs, but I still expected us to win. There was a lot of hype around this team as we were picked to win C-USA by USA Today, CBS Sports, Blue Ribbon, and Athlon. That's why this was so disappointing to me.

More so, it was disappointing to find out that this was a money game. Our home OOC slate is as uninteresting as always. I thought we finally landed an attractive home OOC opponent, but I was wrong.
    You were probably the only person that expected us to win. I agree with you that this was most likely our best chance to get a signature win, but there's still much basketball left to be played. If you had told me before last season that we we would have been undefeated in the conference going into the last 2 weeks, I'd have laughed at you, as I think most others would have too. At this point, you just don't know what's going to turn out to be a signature win other than the 3 most likely. I'm making a point this year to follow more college basketball than I have the last several years, mainly because my son has decided it's his favorite sport now and he's built for it, but also, I like to feel like I know a little bit about the subject when I contribute. I knew enough to know not to expect to beat St. Mary's and certain other teams. It's been awhile since I challenged for the BB&B NCAA pick em tourney title, but I plan to challenge again this year. I do agree, though, that without a signature win, we will have to rely on the auto bid. I just think it's too early to consider those 3 our only chances at signature wins.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    You were probably the only person that expected us to win. I agree with you that this was most likely our best chance to get a signature win, but there's still much basketball left to be played. If you had told me before last season that we we would have been undefeated in the conference going into the last 2 weeks, I'd have laughed at you, as I think most others would have too. At this point, you just don't know what's going to turn out to be a signature win other than the 3 most likely. I'm making a point this year to follow more college basketball than I have the last several years, mainly because my son has decided it's his favorite sport now and he's built for it, but also, I like to feel like I know a little bit about the subject when I contribute. I knew enough to know not to expect to beat St. Mary's and certain other teams. It's been awhile since I challenged for the BB&B NCAA pick em tourney title, but I plan to challenge again this year. I do agree, though, that without a signature win, we will have to rely on the auto bid. I just think it's too early to consider those 3 our only chances at signature wins.
    Dirty:

We are going to get a signature win in Oklahoma this year. I don't know if it is before or after Christmas. It probably depends upon if you are naughty or nice.

Maybe if you are real good, we will get 2.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    Dirty:

We are going to get a signature win in Oklahoma this year. I don't know if it is before or after Christmas. It probably depends upon if you are naughty or nice.

Maybe if you are real good, we will get 2.
    Come on, Skill. You know I'm a changed man, and that it's vette we need to worry about.:icon_wink:

+ Reply to Thread