+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 11/13 Centenary College game

Varsity Bulldog ceb420 is a splendid one to beholdceb420 is a splendid one to beholdceb420 is a splendid one to beholdceb420 is a splendid one to beholdceb420 is a splendid one to beholdceb420 is a splendid one to beholdceb420 is a splendid one to beholdceb420 is a splendid one to beholdceb420 is a splendid one to beholdceb420 is a splendid one to beholdceb420 is a splendid one to behold

Re: 11/13 Centenary College game

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Wow. Tells you how much I've kept up. Why is that not a exhibition game then?
    I think I heard someone say the game counts on our win/loss record but it won't be used in calculating our RPI. I also heard it won't count for Centenary. Not sure how accurate that is but it would make sense.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

It's hard putting together a schedule when you are 1) expected to be really good, and 2) don't have the money from season ticket revenue to bring in higher quality opponents. When this happens you scramble to find teams to fill up the schedule. When you fill up the schedule you end up playing a lot of lower RPI teams and even some D2 or D3 teams. When you play a lot of lower RPI teams, it doesn't greatly help your RPI. When it comes to tournament seeding (and at-large bids), a high RPI is priceless.

I'm thankful we were able to schedule St. Mary's, OK St, and Oklahoma who should all be top 50 RPI teams at the end of the season. These kind of teams are too RPI savvy to schedule us for a game in Ruston. One win on the road against one of these teams would do a lot for our seeding come Selection Sunday.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ceb420 View Post
    I think I heard someone say the game counts on our win/loss record but it won't be used in calculating our RPI. I also heard it won't count for Centenary. Not sure how accurate that is but it would make sense.
    Yeah. I've read in the past that scheduling anything other than D1 affect RPI. Just not sure how I feel about that. I mean, it's a good win in that some guys get to work on their game and continue to develop without having to struggle (Gibby) against tougher competition sot they can build confidence and hopefully translate that to better play when the competition is more fierce. However, I still would rather play games that "count". Although, I understand it can hurt to beat a crappy D1 team who ends up with a terrible RPI. I remember one year, we were winning games but still dropping because some of the teams we beat were sucking it up causing our RPI to drop. It seems that the RPI gain from the wins weren't enough to overcome the RPI hits from the other teams when they lost. I don't know. I'm just tired of the damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    It's hard putting together a schedule when you are 1) expected to be really good, and 2) don't have the money from season ticket revenue to bring in higher quality opponents. When this happens you scramble to find teams to fill up the schedule. When you fill up the schedule you end up playing a lot of lower RPI teams and even some D2 or D3 teams. When you play a lot of lower RPI teams, it doesn't greatly help your RPI. When it comes to tournament seeding (and at-large bids), a high RPI is priceless.

I'm thankful we were able to schedule St. Mary's, OK St, and Oklahoma who should all be top 50 RPI teams at the end of the season. These kind of teams are too RPI savvy to schedule us for a game in Ruston. One win on the road against one of these teams would do a lot for our seeding come Selection Sunday.
    That's true. Man it sucks to not have money. Hopefully, that will change soon. As an a addendum to my previous post and us dropping in RPI even when winning, I seem to remember once or twice in the past our RPI having gone up after playing certain teams despite the fact that we lost due to their higher RPI rating. I tell you. This basketball is a strange creature, but just enough so to pique my interest.

+ Reply to Thread