+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball Potential

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Basketball Potential

We've had some lite discussions on this topic before. I think now is a good time to bring it up again. Hookdown said this in another thread...

No reason at all we cannot duplicate Butler's (or VCU, or George Mason, or Zaga....) success if we put our mind to it

Agree? Before you comment, keep in mind those schools are SRO for every game. Success means winning AND great attendance.

Any other Southern schools outside of the ACC who do this?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: Basketball Potential

Memphis, but they play in an NBA arena and have the 18th largest MBB budget in the nation (5x larger than our's)... And their football program pays the price. Just ask Tommy West.

Butler football is non-scholarship. VCU, Gonzaga, and George Mason don't play football at all.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I don't think you have to choose between football and basketball. Until USM football tanked, they were what we could be in football (provided you don't hire a flop coach and set your program back 30 years). At the same time, they were building a pretty good basketball tradition. It all boils down to winning. You want Shreveport? Go to bowls 3 out of every 4 years and you'll have them. Same with basketball. Get to the dance every other year and you'll see the TAC fill up.

What makes this difficult is the fact that we'll always have coach turnover. Our scheduling from Dykes to Holtz was actually perfect. We should've been bowl qualified by now. I like the idea of having some ideological guidelines for the coaches we hire (uptempo, pass heavy, ect).

It can be done in both sports, but hiring the right coaches is crucial. We're dramatically hindered in hiring the right coaches when we decide to pay our new guys 300K less than we were paying our old guys.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

What is USM's NCAA MBB Tournament record in the last 22 years?

Ans: 0-1.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

JL, I don't believe football's success or failure has a part in what I'm digging for. You said...

Same with basketball. Get to the dance every other year and you'll see the TAC fill up.

Not saying this can't happen, but history proves you wrong on it happening at LaTech. I believe it takes much more than winning here. That's where I'm trying to take this discussion.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    JL, I don't believe football's success or failure has a part in what I'm digging for. You said...

Same with basketball. Get to the dance every other year and you'll see the TAC fill up.

Not saying this can't happen, but history proves you wrong on it happening at LaTech. I believe it takes much more than winning here. That's where I'm trying to take this discussion.
    I'll defer to others on basketball. Since I've been a Tech fan we haven't been anywhere near what I described. Are you suggesting that, in our part of the country, basketball will never be "cherished" like it is at Butler, Gonzaga, ect? I will say, after living in basketball country, it certainly is a different animal up there.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

For Tech to ever realize its "potential" we have to have the $$ to make it happen, and no egos to stand in the way. Would the Lady Techsters have returned to Women's BB Elite Status if Dan had just agreed to give Kim another year? Baylor's success would say "YES" --- but Baylor has the $$ to make it happen. At a school like Tech you must have that very rare combination of "GREAT COACH" and "BLIND LOYALTY" --- and you don't find that needle in today's coaching haystack very often.

Another thing to consider...
    - 59% of FBS teams (76/129) make bowl appearances.
    - 19% of Division I teams (68/351) make NCAA MBB Tournament appearances.

Guaranteed C-USA bids:
    - 5/14 (36%) for bowl games
    - 1/14 (7%) for the NCAA MBB Tournament

Getting a bid to the Big Dance is much tougher than earning a bowl bid.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Are you suggesting that, in our part of the country, basketball will never be "cherished" like it is at Butler, Gonzaga, ect? .
    I think it would be a marketing person's dream job, but it would not be an easy job.
    I believe proper marketing is a must.

Chuck, we are talking Basketball here, not WBB.:icon_wink:

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be a marketing person's dream job, but it would not be an easy job.

The same holds true for men's. Russo or Eagles could have done it building off the Karl Malone years. They both left for more money. I think Eagles (rest in peace) would have stayed, if we had tried hard enough. He LOVED Tech. You need THAT type of loyalty and talent to build something that will last. With WBB, Leon was that.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

HAHA! I had a feeling you'd say that.

Eagles had the run we are now hoping for. Largest attendance during the Malone and White years was not even a sellout was it? We NEVER marketed outside of what Teddy Allen did and what the local papers printed.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Right!! No need to aim that high (WBB) and set ourselves up for disappointment.

Don't you know Russo would be pleased now that MBB really had surpassed WBB? Wasn't he the coach who'd get on the PA and encourage Techster fans to stay for MBB as the second game in a doubleheader?

I was surprised at the crowd Wednesday and hope we regularly see 4000+ this season and average 4500+ in conference THIS YEAR. Is that doable? Last year we averaged 3,531. Area colleges were ULL (2,175); NLUlm (!,255); NSU (1,803). And some CUSA numbers in 2012-13:

UTEP.............8,490
    Charlotte.......6,093
    Marshall.........5,598
    Southern Miss..4,802
    ECU...............4,659
    Tulsa..............4,580
    UCF................4,523
    UAB................4,118
    Houston...........3,707
    SMU................3,443
    Tulane.............1,851
    Rice................1,742
    NTSU..............3,518
    UTSA..............1,264
    MTSU............. 5,410
    WKU...............4,714

NCAA 12-13 attendance link: http://static.psbin.com/a/j/rnpftk9i...attendance.pdf

WE'VE GOT A SHOT HERE TO REALLY GET IT GOING!! Maybe 5,000 in 2014-15? Ya gotta believe (AND SHOW UP AT GAMES!!!)

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

After watching BTB's video its fairly obvious that there were less than 2,000 in total attendance Wednesday night -

There are a little under 2,000 red seats (1800 and change) so unless they are full and a good overflow into the blue you don't come close to 3,000 let alone 4K

I just want a true 3,000 to 3,500 each and every game and work from there -

I think we could see a couple of 5k games on the weekends and maybe a Thursday

But we are getting there slowly
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    After watching BTB's video its fairly obvious that there were less than 2,000 in total attendance Wednesday night
    I noticed the same thing. Many of the seats that are normally filled were empty. That shows what happens on Wednesday night games in North Louisiana. Monday or Thursday games would be better as the students are still in town and these nights do not conflict with high school basketball.

+ Reply to Thread