+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball Potential

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Basketball Potential

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I think we could see a couple of 5k games on the weekends and maybe a Thursday

But we are getting there slowly
    I think we have the potential to blow the roof off the TAC, but we'll need to invest in a marketing plan. It won't be free.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

I have always wondered what kind of potential we could have with basketball if we really tried . . . but we have a long way to go:

Basketball.jpg

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Eagles had the run we are now hoping for. Largest attendance during the Malone and White years was not even a sellout was it? We NEVER marketed outside of what Teddy Allen did and what the local papers printed.
    You are exactly right! Marketing at that point in time would have propelled us higher than many on here even dream about. It would not only have brought in attendance and a faithful following, but those things bring in recruits. We let it just slip right away by doing nothing. We have a chance to do that again now. No, not the Malone type team, but we could get there and this team is going to be HOT this year!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

We've had some lite discussions on this topic before. I think now is a good time to bring it up again. Hookdown said this in another thread...

No reason at all we cannot duplicate Butler's (or VCU, or George Mason, or Zaga....) success if we put our mind to it

Agree? Before you comment, keep in mind those schools are SRO for every game. Success means winning AND great attendance.

Any other Southern schools outside of the ACC who do this?
    Before my thoughts on the subject, I first wanted to say Oklahoma played a day game as part of a tournament at home last week against, I think, Alabama. I watched a little of it, and was surprised at how little turnout there was for the game. From the little I saw, I'd say I doubt they had more than 1,000 in attendance if that many. Granted, the game was in the middle of the day in the middle of the week, but seriously, a school that large couldn't muster more fans than that against another top conference school? It's hard to figure out at many of these Southern schools. I think Louisiana is a very different bird when it comes to our sports teams. For the most part, (and I'm speaking in generalities here) it seems that our psyche is so fragile that we are scared to go "all in" on any team for fear of disappointment. That's why LSU has so many bandwagon fans. When the lean years come back, you'll still see the folks that "pull" for them, but don't claim to be the live purple, bleed gold fan. For us, and any team in Louisiana, to be able to build an "all in" fanbase, we have to win. Primarily. Then, as you say, we have to do more marketing than what we try to rely on in the local press. We almost have to do what I think is called militant marketing. (is that a thing, Chuck?) I think with in your face marketing while we're successful, we can get the "all in" base we want and when a lean year or two comes along, we will still have some die hards that will hold us over.

Personally, I'm a football guy, however, I think it would be in our best interest to try to become THE basketball school of Louisiana-not just North Louisiana, but ALL of Louisiana. I think we have a real shot at this for several reasons. 1. Louisiana, as most Southern states, are first and foremost football schools. For the most part, they show a passing interest in basketball, but only really support win winning. I honestly believe that our biggest obstacle, as in any thing athletic related, would be the LSU masses, and I honestly believe that we could be well on our way to establishing our footprint as THE basketball school in the state before they would really notice. Then, the first to take notice would be the LSU basketball fans of which there aren't a significant number, in my opinion, to be taken seriously by the majority of LSU "fans". For the first couple of years, they'd be like, "so, they're still just little ole Tech. We could beat them if we really wanted to." Then the next couple of years would be, "so what. It's just basketball. Everyone knows that football is king in the South." By the time the majority of LSU fans think that it's about to be the point of no return and see just how much we are reaping with our basketball success, we most likely would be at the point of no return IF our administration is committed to making basketball the #1 priority.

2. If, as I just said, the administration is willing to make mbb our priority and reinvest its revenue back into the program to continue to elevate our success and reputation, I think we have more of a chance at retaining a top coach that can keep us as THE program of Louisiana. Sure we might have some turnover early on, but unlike football, there really is a genuinely better opportunity for us to achieve national success than there is in football and basketball coaches know this. They know they can play in the Final 4 and possibly win it all and there is no formula in place to keep us from getting past the sweet 16. If we will reinvest our mbb revenues back into mbb, and not move any of it elsewhere, so that we can pay top coach salaries and provide equipment, facilities and budgets to be competitive, I don't think we have the crap shoot of trying find a good coach that will keep us where we need to be every 3-5 years. Don't give up on football, but let basketball keep its money and let football continue to pay the other bills. It'll be much easier to sell out a 7k seat arena than a 30k seat stadium, and I think it can be done with mbb.

3. Unlike with football, basketball is not at the mercy of conference realignments or rules changes to the degree that football is barring a total revamp of the NCAA or a break away of the big conference schools. With basketball, we pretty much know that unless the conference totally dissolves and we're not able to land in a tenured conference, we have a very legitimate chance to go dancing. Furthermore, in the event of future conference changes, being THE top men's basketball school in the state will help us land in a better conference due to the fact that those conferences will be looking at the future credits we are likely to bring. Combine that with a quality football program which we should be able to build since we won't have to use football money to help finance basketball. We can use the money saved from funneling to mbb to enhance the football budget provided we continue funding our other sports at the same percentages.

But basically, I believe our best chance is because as I said in item 1 that those people who would be our biggest obstacle just don't take basketball seriously enough to see how much it can help Tech compete with them, and by the time they do, it will be too late. This has been a no brainer for the longest time. We all know Dr. Reneau wasn't interested in athletics enough to make this evaluation. As spirited as Dr. Guice seems to be, I would have to believe a well delivered presentation highlighting the benefits of prioritizing basketball over the other programs would probably be better received by him. I'm sure there are more benefits and reasons whey this should be the way to go than I have given, but it's all I've got. I honestly can't see any negative to it.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Before my thoughts on the subject, I first wanted to say Oklahoma played a day game as part of a tournament at home last week against, I think, Alabama. I watched a little of it, and was surprised at how little turnout there was for the game. From the little I saw, I'd say I doubt they had more than 1,000 in attendance if that many. Granted, the game was in the middle of the day in the middle of the week, but seriously, a school that large couldn't muster more fans than that against another top conference school? It's hard to figure out at many of these Southern schools. I think Louisiana is a very different bird when it comes to our sports teams. For the most part, (and I'm speaking in generalities here) it seems that our psyche is so fragile that we are scared to go "all in" on any team for fear of disappointment. That's why LSU has so many bandwagon fans. When the lean years come back, you'll still see the folks that "pull" for them, but don't claim to be the live purple, bleed gold fan. For us, and any team in Louisiana, to be able to build an "all in" fanbase, we have to win. Primarily. Then, as you say, we have to do more marketing than what we try to rely on in the local press. We almost have to do what I think is called militant marketing. (is that a thing, Chuck?) I think with in your face marketing while we're successful, we can get the "all in" base we want and when a lean year or two comes along, we will still have some die hards that will hold us over.

Personally, I'm a football guy, however, I think it would be in our best interest to try to become THE basketball school of Louisiana-not just North Louisiana, but ALL of Louisiana. I think we have a real shot at this for several reasons. 1. Louisiana, as most Southern states, are first and foremost football schools. For the most part, they show a passing interest in basketball, but only really support win winning. I honestly believe that our biggest obstacle, as in any thing athletic related, would be the LSU masses, and I honestly believe that we could be well on our way to establishing our footprint as THE basketball school in the state before they would really notice. Then, the first to take notice would be the LSU basketball fans of which there aren't a significant number, in my opinion, to be taken seriously by the majority of LSU "fans". For the first couple of years, they'd be like, "so, they're still just little ole Tech. We could beat them if we really wanted to." Then the next couple of years would be, "so what. It's just basketball. Everyone knows that football is king in the South." By the time the majority of LSU fans think that it's about to be the point of no return and see just how much we are reaping with our basketball success, we most likely would be at the point of no return IF our administration is committed to making basketball the #1 priority.

2. If, as I just said, the administration is willing to make mbb our priority and reinvest its revenue back into the program to continue to elevate our success and reputation, I think we have more of a chance at retaining a top coach that can keep us as THE program of Louisiana. Sure we might have some turnover early on, but unlike football, there really is a genuinely better opportunity for us to achieve national success than there is in football and basketball coaches know this. They know they can play in the Final 4 and possibly win it all and there is no formula in place to keep us from getting past the sweet 16. If we will reinvest our mbb revenues back into mbb, and not move any of it elsewhere, so that we can pay top coach salaries and provide equipment, facilities and budgets to be competitive, I don't think we have the crap shoot of trying find a good coach that will keep us where we need to be every 3-5 years. Don't give up on football, but let basketball keep its money and let football continue to pay the other bills. It'll be much easier to sell out a 7k seat arena than a 30k seat stadium, and I think it can be done with mbb.

3. Unlike with football, basketball is not at the mercy of conference realignments or rules changes to the degree that football is barring a total revamp of the NCAA or a break away of the big conference schools. With basketball, we pretty much know that unless the conference totally dissolves and we're not able to land in a tenured conference, we have a very legitimate chance to go dancing. Furthermore, in the event of future conference changes, being THE top men's basketball school in the state will help us land in a better conference due to the fact that those conferences will be looking at the future credits we are likely to bring. Combine that with a quality football program which we should be able to build since we won't have to use football money to help finance basketball. We can use the money saved from funneling to mbb to enhance the football budget provided we continue funding our other sports at the same percentages.

But basically, I believe our best chance is because as I said in item 1 that those people who would be our biggest obstacle just don't take basketball seriously enough to see how much it can help Tech compete with them, and by the time they do, it will be too late. This has been a no brainer for the longest time. We all know Dr. Reneau wasn't interested in athletics enough to make this evaluation. As spirited as Dr. Guice seems to be, I would have to believe a well delivered presentation highlighting the benefits of prioritizing basketball over the other programs would probably be better received by him. I'm sure there are more benefits and reasons whey this should be the way to go than I have given, but it's all I've got. I honestly can't see any negative to it.
    After seeing the signing day thread, I have a 4th item to add to my list on why mbb should be our priority. 4. It is the one revenue producing sport that we have a legitimate shot at competing with the larger schools at getting top recruits, and we don't have to hope to get the second or third tier player once the other out of state or even in state schools take their pickings.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Eagles had the run we are now hoping for. Largest attendance during the Malone and White years was not even a sellout was it? We NEVER marketed outside of what Teddy Allen did and what the local papers printed.
    I was there then, and the women still normally had the bigger crowds. Those were some exciting games though, and we traveled well. People were very excited about the team- I think it could be revived with winning consistently again.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    I was there then, and the women still normally had the bigger crowds. Those were some exciting games though, and we traveled well. People were very excited about the team- I think it could be revived with winning consistently again.
    I think we'll get back to those attendance figures this year. I'd like to see us take advantage of the current situation by investing in some real marketing and begin something special for MBB.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

I think we'll get back to those attendance figures this year. I'd like to see us take advantage of the current situation by investing in some real marketing and begin something special for MBB.
    Our marketing = #WeAreLATech

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    You mean the Tech? The only Tech you need to know about?
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    That would be our University's marketing department.

I was talking about our athletic department's marketing. They just stick #WeAreLATech on everything, and it never looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    That would be our University's marketing department.

I was talking about our athletic department's marketing. They just stick #WeAreLATech on everything, and it never looks good.
    No kidding guys. We know that. It's been hashed (tagged) out over and over again. Could, for once, you not be a broken record and participate as asked and provide what you think wold help us to get basketball to its potential. I swear, I quit reading the board for nearly 2 months, and I come back and you two are still stuck on the same old tired song and dance.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Maybe, my dirty friend, the "same old song and dance" is pertinent to the discussion. MD seems to think marketing is the key. As such, discussing marketing seems to be "participating as asked."

Some of our english majors can say whether or not it is ironic that the post you quoted was the first time I've mentioned Tech marketing in quite some time. Regardless, welcome back.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

This http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Decibel seems to be catching on.

The TAC is loud at 50% capacity. Imagine 100% with organized participation.

I dare our marketing people to market our MBB team w/out Title IXing the effort.

+ Reply to Thread