+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball Potential

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Basketball Potential

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    When the lean years come back, you'll still see the folks that "pull" for them, but don't claim to be the live purple, bleed gold fan. For us, and any team in Louisiana, to be able to build an "all in" fanbase, we have to win. Primarily. Then, as you say, we have to do more marketing than what we try to rely on in the local press. We almost have to do what I think is called militant marketing. (is that a thing, Chuck?) I think with in your face marketing while we're successful, we can get the "all in" base we want and when a lean year or two comes along, we will still have some die hards that will hold us over.
    Yep, you always like to strike when the iron's hot. Don't forget "Marketing" is made up of the 4-P's -- Product, Place, Price, Promotion --- and as fans, we tend to focus solely on the last "P" -- promotion. It tends to be the most expensive P of the 4 also. There are other P's that we need to improve upon, or we'll dump tons of money with little to no return on our investment.

Probably a bad analogy, but could you imagine Coca-Cola spending all that money on it's logo standardization, advertising, and distinctive packaging...but when you went to the store to buy it...every other Coke you consumed was flat? That's kinda where Tech is with it's "PRODUCT" --- not consistent. These are things we need to work on...consistent GOOD product. Folks will buy a well promoted product (Utah State game last year at Thanksgiving) but if the product is FLAT, they won't be back.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I dare our marketing people to market our MBB team w/out Title IXing the effort.
    "Louisiana Tech men's basketball is coming off a historic season in which they won 27 games, and the Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters are coming off a historic season in which they won their 500th game in Ruston. Buy your season tickets today!"

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    No kidding guys. We know that. It's been hashed (tagged) out over and over again. Could, for once, you not be a broken record and participate as asked and provide what you think wold help us to get basketball to its potential. I swear, I quit reading the board for nearly 2 months, and I come back and you two are still stuck on the same old tired song and dance.
    That was definitely the first and only time I've ever made that comment, and it was certainly on topic regarding maddawg's suggestion about reaching our basketball potential with marketing. Put us on ignore if you don't want to read what we have to say.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

And its a shame that most people will not recognized the fact that one of our best home games this year will be NWST on the 8th and once again its on a Weds night and part of a DH....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

The ULL and NSU games are can't misses for me! I think the TAC will be raucous for those 2. Also, Southern is no slouch. They are very well-coached and have some talent.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Fortunately, the Wednesday night NSU game will be a late tipoff so I can make that game. I'll be out of the country December 2 - 7 but I should arrive back in time for the Southern game. I'll miss the ULL game on December 4th. I don't miss many ULL games - at home or away.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Maybe, my dirty friend, the "same old song and dance" is pertinent to the discussion. MD seems to think marketing is the key. As such, discussing marketing seems to be "participating as asked."
    No doubt about it, but how about taking a new approach and think of ideas to market basketball to a population who doesn't necessarily appreciate it instead of just bitching about what we're currently doing. We know what we're currently doing, and I'm fairly certain maddawg knew that when he posted the title. To be honest, of all the negative nancies, I'm surprised by you the most. I mean, I have no problem with anyone pointing out our problems, but some people I expect to be bigger than the pettiness of a broken record.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    That was definitely the first and only time I've ever made that comment, and it was certainly on topic regarding maddawg's suggestion about reaching our basketball potential with marketing. Put us on ignore if you don't want to read what we have to say.
    I'd rather just beat the shit out of you if I get the chance to meet you.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

OK Dirty.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    The ULL and NSU games are can't misses for me! I think the TAC will be raucous for those 2. Also, Southern is no slouch. They are very well-coached and have some talent.
    I too will try my best to make these. Come on Dawgs BBall!!!!!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Even during the Malone era, as a Top 10 ranked team, we struggled to put 3,000 in the TAC. I was there for every home game during that time. I did not hold season tix because I could ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, get courtside or at worst, lower arena sideline seats 30 mins before tip off.

Now, the one exception to that was the 1985 conference tourney.....I bought my lower arena great seats the minute they went on sale and got 2 seats near midcourt, about 10 rows up. The TAC was not sold out, but was pretty dern close for the two-night event. Maybe a couple hundred empty seats scattered in the upper reaches of the blue seats.

Some nights during that historic 84-85 season, there were barely 1,500 in attendance. Might have sold, and announced more, but that was it for butts in seats.

Tech had 10 straight winning seasons, beginning with the 82-83 year, and 9 straight post season appearances, either the NCAAs (where we went 4-4) or the NIT, which included reaching the Final Four in Madison Square Garden in 1986. Did that make Tech "hoops country?" Nope! attendance dropped after the Malone years, even though the team was still winning (even under Jerry Loyd).

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    Fortunately, the Wednesday night NSU game will be a late tipoff so I can make that game. I'll be out of the country December 2 - 7 but I should arrive back in time for the Southern game. I'll miss the ULL game on December 4th. I don't miss many ULL games - at home or away.
    Yep, Dec. 11 will be a late tipoff. Convenient for choir directors if they don't spend the first half of choir practice gossiping.

After their Auburn performance, NSU will get even more attention from Coach Mike White and his Bulldogs. We gave it away to the Demons last year at Natchitoches.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    You mean the Tech? The only Tech you need to know about?
    I cringe every time I see that stupid ad. It is so embarrassing!

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Yep, Dec. 11 will be a late tipoff. Convenient for choir directors if they don't spend the first half of choir practice gossiping.

After their Auburn performance, NSU will get even more attention from Coach Mike White and his Bulldogs. We gave it away to the Demons last year at Natchitoches.
    I hate the late tipoff. It will keep us from coming that night. I would love to see that game though. Oh well.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Yeah, I was just responding re: the thread title. We're either gonna get with it with Coach Mike White or stay status quo. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread