+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pay like FIU, get like FIU

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Re: Pay like FIU, get like FIU

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Oregon's offense blocks, passes, and runs. They only get 11 men at a time. They read and re-act to defenses. They usually do all this as quickly as possible. They spread the field (like half the other teams in college). That doesn't sound like a gimmick to me.
    They're the biggest gimmick in college football and it shows when they play a good team. I'm not complaining, I wish them continued "success" against top teams in other conferences.

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

And he's still pretty important to their success.
    But not near as much as a quarterback leading a gimmick offense.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    They're the biggest gimmick in college football and it shows when they play a good team. I'm not complaining, I wish them continued "success" against top teams in other conferences.
    What's a gimmick about it?

They're doing what everyone does. They have the same rulebook. They block, they run, and they pass and catch. And they must not be playing very many good teams lately to be winning 12 games per year.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

But not near as much as a quarterback leading a gimmick offense.
    But that's your definition of gimmick offense. That the QB is important. And that's what doesn't make sense. The QB is important in every offense.

If everyone shares a given characteristic, then that doesn't make it a gimmick. It's the opposite of a gimmick. It's just football.

But that's your definition of gimmick offense. That the QB is important. And that's what doesn't make sense. The QB is important in every offense.

If everyone shares a given characteristic, then that doesn't make it a gimmick. It's the opposite of a gimmick. It's just football.
    Every position is important, but you're on another planet if you can't see that some teams are more over-reliant on their quarterback than others. Oregon's playbook doesn't work if their quarterback doesn't throw for several hundred yards and their team doesn't score 40+ points a game. Yeah, that will get them to 10+ wins in the Pac-12, but it won't win the big games for them.

Every position is important, but you're on another planet if you can't see that some teams are more over-reliant on their quarterback than others. Oregon's playbook doesn't work if their quarterback doesn't throw for several hundred yards and their team doesn't score 40+ points a game. Yeah, that will get them to 10+ wins in the Pac-12, but it won't win the big games for them.
    "Over-reliant" is clearly in the eye of the beholder. I don't see how passing more than running is in and of itself any kind of gimmick (at least not since like 1913 or something). If anything, it's the norm.

By the way, when Oregon beat #12 UCLA a few week ago they had 28 attempted passes and 53 rushing attempts.

In over one hundred years of football, I can't see how "the QB's play is important for the offense to work well" is any kind of gimmick. It's normal. It's the most common case. All offenses need the QB to play well. Some rely more on the running game (and I suppose occasionally some offenses rely on the running game a lot and seldom pass at all) but that hasn't been the norm in a very long time. It's baffling to me that "the QB is too important" is grounds for labeling something as unusual or odd or a gimmick.

Stanford's offense stands out in the current college football landscape to the same degree that Oregon's does.

I don't see how passing more than running is in and of itself any kind of gimmick (at least not since like 1913 or something). If anything, it's the norm.
    It sounds like you are trying to make yourself think I actually said this.

It sounds like you are trying to make yourself think I actually said this.
    Here. I'll edit my response.

I don't see how quarterback having to throw for several hundred yards is in and of itself any kind of gimmick (at least not since like 1993 or something). If anything, it's the norm.

Most passing offenses are going to need a good day (like several hundred passing yards) from their QB in order to win (because they are passing more than they run). That's not a gimmick. It's not even unusual and hasn't been for a long time (although I see Oregon's offense as more of a run-based offense - they throw for a lot of yards because you can't stop their running game and have to cheat).

Someone else want to chime in here? Am I crazy that "needs their QB to play well" is pretty much EVERYBODY? Or even if it's just the more pass-heavy teams, that there are a lot of pass-heavy team in college football and have been for like 25 years (and were some before that)?

Anyone?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Inu, I agree with everything you've posted.

It hasn't been a good day for gimmicky offenses. Yeah, everyone knows who these teams are.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

It hasn't been a good day for gimmicky offenses. Yeah, everyone knows who these teams are.
    Yeah, it wasn't a good day for teams who run those "gimmicky" offenses like Arizona and Oklahoma State.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Like Oregon. Their offense is based on the success of one player-their quarterback. This type "gimmick" offense is often made worse by including a "hurry up" style of play used with a spread offense with trick plays thrown in. If you have a defense that is good, like Stanford's, the gimmick doesn't work and there's nothing else for the team to fall back on.
    The QB touches the ball every play. I would think that would be true of 99% of the plays in football unless its a direct snap to the HB. Therefore, he is the most important player in the offense. He is responsible for reading the defense, distributing the football, calling audibles in ANY OFFENSE.

I dont remember La Tech using lots of trick plays for the past two years. Maybe we watched 2 different tams play? The only thing I found slightly odd was not ever going under center. And if any offense is playing a good defense, they're going to have trouble moving the ball, not just teams that run a "gimmick" offense.

I'm not saying the spread gimmick no huddle offense is the best, only that it works effectively. I tend to like a 2 TE set myself.

Quote Originally Posted by cowpoke1977 View Post
    The QB touches the ball every play.
    Not true.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Ok, so other than a direct snap to a HB or a field goal attempt, when does he not touch the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by cowpoke1977 View Post
    Ok, so other than a direct snap to a HB or a field goal attempt, when does he not touch the ball?
    A punt.

+ Reply to Thread