+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do Bitcoins work?

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

How do Bitcoins work?

OK, being an old fart, I don't get it. Read the below link. This kid obviously knows how it works!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/colleg...153845085.html

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Re: How do Bitcoins work?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin

I'm still not 100% sure & I've been following it since a drug dealer/prostitution website got shut down and made headlines for Bitcoin.

Champ RunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to behold RunwayDawg55's Avatar

I've heard (no confirmation) that this COULD have been some sort of clever viral-advertising for the bitcoin business, which makes sense... The guy holding the sign could be part of the bitcoin company, bitcoin then deposits tens of thousands of dollars into this "account", the story goes viral and people like you and me who have never heard of bitcoin are now googling it and checking it out to see what the deal is. Or that could be all wrong and the generosity of random internet people just gave some college kid $20k+ to go party it up.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunwayDawg55 View Post
    I've heard (no confirmation) that this COULD have been some sort of clever viral-advertising for the bitcoin business, which makes sense... The guy holding the sign could be part of the bitcoin company, bitcoin then deposits tens of thousands of dollars into this "account", the story goes viral and people like you and me who have never heard of bitcoin are now googling it and checking it out to see what the deal is. Or that could be all wrong and the generosity of random internet people just gave some college kid $20k+ to go party it up.
    Scenario No. 1 seems more likely.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Amos,

Bitcoins are strings of code generated by computers, which can not be duplicated, and you can make them on your own computer (but they take a lot of resources). Because they are unique and verifiable, some people trust them as currency, but they can also be lost if you have a data loss, such as a hard drive crash. One guy had several thousand dollars worth of bitcoins stored in his Amazon cloud account, and when Amazon rebooted one of their servers, his coins were lost forever, because you can't make copies.

There is no bitcoin company, so there is no product or service, and the "value" is based strictly on fear and greed, much like gold and silver. A few months ago, the value was about $2, now I think it is close to $300. This is the latest craze among computer nerd-types. The fact that it is such a craze is pushing the value higher, but it is probably bound for a bust at some point.

I have never used Bitcoin (or tried to generate any), but I work with a guy who is fascinated by it. From what I hear, the feds hate Bitcoin because they can't trace it's everyday use, and they want their hands on everything. Hope that helps.

Champ kw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud of

I think it's great to challenge the Fed reserves monopoly on currency. Don't know much about it other than the original "miners" made a lot of money, and developed sophisticated machines for extracting them.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Apparently, they work very well....

http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/06/auto...html?hpt=hp_t3

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

I had never heard of it until this thread, but it appears to be growing.

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2013/...source=cnn_bin

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

+ Reply to Thread