+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Get it together Tech!

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: Get it together Tech!

I can't figure out the clock issues - I know its new but we have had enough practice by now to get it working right...

Also had trouble getting the correct score posted on numerous occassions
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I can't figure out the clock issues - I know its new but we have had enough practice by now to get it working right...

Dave commented on the scoreboard operator being too slow several times.

Varsity Bulldog jellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the rough jellidawg's Avatar

And he showed that it was still the 1st half when we got to the women's game at 6:30 (it was the 2nd). Then, between the games, they reset the score by subtracting from it by 2 on every click. If only there was a little button that said "New Game", similar to every junior high and high school board I have ever seen. While I would have been lenient on him during the Centenary game, the scoreboard operator should have it down by the third men's game (I don't know how many women's games there have been).

Maybe we should bring back the old scoreboard...

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Trying to catch up on BB&B after spending the week in Nicaragua. I had All-Access so I could watch ULL game while there, but due to unexpected lack of internet access I could only get updates via text message from a friend at the game. I did get back to SHV just in time to rush to the Southern game. I was very tired after several days with only 4 hours sleep a night, so I had a very brief thought about skipping out to get to bed early. It was a good choice to go to the game.

In the first half our team didn't look like the same team I watched in Florida. The second half showed some signs of recovery to that extremely confident unselfish tournament winning team of 2 weeks ago. Like baseball, basketball is 90% mental and 50% physical. (Thank you, Yogi.)

As far as any scoreboard issues of last night, they paled in comparison to the troubles of the 3 games we played in Germain Arena. Those kinds of things happen at games but it is frustrating, especially when it happens over and over. There is a learning curve on all new equipment so hopefully our minor scoreboard problems of last night will be resolved without another instance.

There were improvements to the new displays over the last home game (Centenary) that I was able to attend, i.e. team fouls and many more stats to include opponents stats. I've never been to a college arena with a better display setup than ours. UALR's use of the scoreboard is equal to ours, but not better. They do have better concessions. UTA's new facility looks like it may have better concessions, but my infrequent concession purchase, popcorn and a bottle of water, are the same everywhere.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Question: Does the official start the clock with a remote on his belt and does a whistle stop it?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Question: Does the official start the clock with a remote on his belt and does a whistle stop it?
    For some reason I want to say it's synced with the new equipment?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Of course this is only for the game clock. Play clock, I dunno.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

I think so too but I haven't paid attention to that. This technology has been available for use in college basketball for several years now. I know I've seen it in the past when one of the officials stopped a game to have his remote starter checked out. It wasn't one of our home games because I was sitting right behind the scorer's table. I'm not even sure that we were playing so it was probably at the conference tournament.

The only clock problem I saw Saturday night was when the game clock showed 19:54 and the shot clock showed 25 or 24. There was a delay in getting the clocks synced to a correct time. Were there other clock problems that I didn't notice?

The funniest thing I saw Saturday night was when there was a scramble and pileup for a loose ball in the paint on our end. The Southern player got control but one of our guys got a hand on it. Someone in the pile called time out. The ref gave us the timeout although we didn't have possession. After Southern's big #44 protested that they had possession and didn't call the timeout, the ref changed his call and awarded them the ball.

What's strange is that no one in our section said anything to the ref about the correction, and that's very unusual. Our section seemed strangely quiet that game. I only remember two foul calls we protested. One against us and the Southern player was given two shots; we protested that the foul came before the shot. The second protest was on a layup attempt when we thought it should have been called a breakaway foul. Both calls could have gone either way. We didn't get either of them to go our way.

One of my favorite things about college basketball is that fans can influence the refs. It's important to know how to work that to our advantage. One of these days I hope we get a questionable call go our way in a crucial situation - that's the home court advantage at work.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

A lot of times with new equipment, they will have several practice "games" before the season starts to get the operators familiar with the system. These "games" can be during regular practices or scrimages.

Did we do that?

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    A lot of times with new equipment, they will have several practice "games" before the season starts to get the operators familiar with the system. These "games" can be during regular practices or scrimages.

Did we do that?
    4 - 1 men's and 2 women's exhibitions

And the closed scrimmage between Arizona and Memphis

Champ LouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant future

I work the clock sometimes at LSUS. It is not easy. When someone score a basket, you have to first hit the home or visitor score button, than you have put in a 2 or 3, than it ask you for the player # so it can total up that players score. Same with fouls. If you have a team that score fast like an LSUS, you better be on your toes. I am not very good at it. About the remote on the refs belt, after a dead ball, each official and the clock operator has to start the clock. The clock also starts the shot clock. The shot clock operator only restarts after a shot is taken. Also the whistle of each official can stop the clock. With all that said, if you dont practice working that clock, it can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaSelect View Post
    I work the clock sometimes at LSUS. It is not easy. When someone score a basket, you have to first hit the home or visitor score button, than you have put in a 2 or 3, than it ask you for the player # so it can total up that players score. Same with fouls. If you have a team that score fast like an LSUS, you better be on your toes. I am not very good at it. About the remote on the refs belt, after a dead ball, each official and the clock operator has to start the clock. The clock also starts the shot clock. The shot clock operator only restarts after a shot is taken. Also the whistle of each official can stop the clock. With all that said, if you dont practice working that clock, it can get it.
    Thanks for the insight.

+ Reply to Thread