+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: How would YOU fix our broken football team?

Varsity Bulldog upsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeupsetpuppydog Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Re: How would YOU fix our broken football team?

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdawg View Post
    I don't think that he or any coach was hired because of who their father was. I don't think it hurt the process, but not solely because of that. I think Dooley was hired because he came from the Saban coaching tree. I think Dykes was hired because of his "system". I think that SH was hired because his name carried a certain cache in football circles and he was seen as a maintainer. Someone who could stabilize a program that was listing pretty badly. In my totally honest opinion, I don't think he cares that much. Don't have a reason to say this. I just don't think he does.
    Yea, Skip really maintained at USF. If we wanted to hire someone to maintain, would it have made more sense to hire a spread coach, instead of a coach that has no history of running the spread?

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

T1, stop with the ECU record stuff. That was 5 years ago! If you want to talk about Holtz's coaching then his MOST RECENT COACHING HISTORY is what matters.

2010 8-5 at USF
    2011 5-7 at USF
    2012 3-9 at USF (FIRED)
    2013 4-8 at LA Tech vs arguably the easiest schedule in FBS football!

If you have watched with any objectivity a Tech or USF game you would agree that the man is lost on the sidelines.

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

To start, I would suggest we bring in this guy:

http://lubbockonline.com/sports-red-...r#.UqlS9pEQoso

Varsity Bulldog dawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nice dawg gone it's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9701Dawg View Post

I wish but from what I'm hearing it sounds like he may be going to North Texas

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by upsetpuppydog View Post
    Yes I really do believe that all 4 coaches were hired because of their dad. Do really think that hiring coaches with a different coaching philosophies was a coincidence? Skip's philosophy makes no sense for Tech and you just can't ignore his latest run at USF, since it was his last job. He inherited a consist Top 25 program and ruined them, it seemed that our search committee chose to ignore that because he is Lou's son. Dooley had one 7-5 season and 2 losing seasons, Peace let his assistants coach which Holtz does not do.
    I think Bicknell was hired because he was on Crowton's staff and we wanted to keep the Crowton magic going. He had a better interview than Clint Conque. I think Dooley was hired because Nick Saban recommended him. Our first choice was Jimbo Fisher but we couldn't afford him. I think Dykes was hired because Tech wanted to get back to high-powered offenses and Sonny had worked under Mike Leach and had done some good things at Arizona. I think Holtz was hired because we lost our first choice to Southern Miss and our second choice wanted more money than we were willing to pay.

USF was never a "consistent Top 25 team." Here are the Sagarin ratings since 1998 through Holtz:

1998: 132
    1999: 122
    2000: 110
    2001: 70
    2002: 44
    2003: 94
    2004: 132
    2005: 59
    2006: 39
    2007: 15
    2008: 40
    2009: 40
    2010: 51
    2011: 47
    2012: 86

Holtz

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    T1, stop with the ECU record stuff. That was 5 years ago! If you want to talk about Holtz's coaching then his MOST RECENT COACHING HISTORY is what matters.

2010 8-5 at USF
    2011 5-7 at USF
    2012 3-9 at USF (FIRED)
    2013 4-8 at LA Tech vs arguably the easiest schedule in FBS football!

If you have watched with any objectivity a Tech or USF game you would agree that the man is lost on the sidelines.
    We hired him because of the ECU record stuff, not the USF results. He won 2 conference championships in the conference we were moving to and got a big promotion. He was not successful enough at the next stop and was fired. You may be young enough to think that 5 years is a long time, but when you get older you realize that it's a wink of an eye.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9701Dawg View Post

Why would he want to come here to hand off a lot and throw 4 yard passes?

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

I would tell recruits that they would be "taken care of" at Tech and if they went to another school they would be pumping gas.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...17--ncaaf.html

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    This Christmas wish needs to be directed to te other person we celebrate this time of year. I think Santa may need a little help.
    You are absolutely correct. We better look to a higher source because we need a LOT of help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I think our offense struggled due to a ton of inexperienced players all trying to learn the game at the same time. The 4 new OL got whipped by most teams, the QBs (all 3) struggled in every game, and the WR's were not able to make much happen after the catch or make very many plays. I think it's going to take a couple of years to fix the O because this is largely a personnel problem.

The defense is a different story, imo. We had a veteran line, good play from the DBs, and the 2 new LBs were talented (Cobb and Villemez). There was some talent over there and it didn't look like it at all. I put a lot of our defensive play on the coaches. They game-planned to keep Army from beating us with the pass?! Are you kidding me? I don't know that we need better players on this side. Maybe another year in the system will help?

I think we are going to have to get out of this with better defense until we can recruit some play makers on offense. First, develop a defense that can shut down the run game. Make teams one-dimensional and have to pass to beat us. We need to get mentally and physically tougher on defense. The offense is more complicated.

Pretty much what we did, right? Manny was a blessing! Sokol made an immediate difference on offense... another blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Get the best juco QB you can find.
    Sokol! (nice call)

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Another game you didn't watch? Rice doesn't run the option unless it faces a dumb ass coach like Holtz. Rice has a coach who adapts to the opponent and doesn't choke when faced with more talent.
    76-31.

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Rice did try to run the option on some plays and it got dawg stomped.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I think Bicknell was hired because he was on Crowton's staff and we wanted to keep the Crowton magic going. He had a better interview than Clint Conque. I think Dooley was hired because Nick Saban recommended him. Our first choice was Jimbo Fisher but we couldn't afford him. I think Dykes was hired because Tech wanted to get back to high-powered offenses and Sonny had worked under Mike Leach and had done some good things at Arizona. I think Holtz was hired because we lost our first choice to Southern Miss and our second choice wanted more money than we were willing to pay.

USF was never a "consistent Top 25 team." Here are the Sagarin ratings since 1998 through Holtz:

1998: 132
    1999: 122
    2000: 110
    2001: 70
    2002: 44
    2003: 94
    2004: 132
    2005: 59
    2006: 39
    2007: 15
    2008: 40
    2009: 40
    2010: 51
    2011: 47
    2012: 86

Holtz
    I know this it OT and doesn't really matter but USM's coach was never really a consideration for our Job. He is still bitter about it too.

Whatever happened to upsetpuppydog? Joined 09/13 and left in 12/13. Strange. Probably in the fetal position listening to Enya with Mildawg now.

+ Reply to Thread