+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Changes

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Microsoft Changes

Talk about it.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: Microsoft Changes

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Talk about it.
    Is that a question? You sound like a TV talking head at a presser.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Is that a question? You sound like a TV talking head at a presser.
    Like most talking heads, I'm so clueless about this that I dont' know what to ask.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

LOL.Nice.

You talking about the change in management?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    LOL.Nice.

You talking about the change in management?
    software changes that will no longer be free.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

They'll still be billionaires. We'll still be middle class looking for cheaper ways. Plenty of freeware programs to free you from just about everything but the OS.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

How about the cease of support for XP and the fact that many hospitals' Enterprise IT systems won't run on 7 or 8...and price tags for new ones are north/way north of $1million...

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    How about the cease of support for XP and the fact that many hospitals' Enterprise IT systems won't run on 7 or 8...and price tags for new ones are north/way north of $1million...
    So this is where they are going...

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Yup, also virtualization and remote app access will freeze the old in stone. I mean stone. This especially includes XP. Most companies never called Microsoft for support regarding XP during the support window so they are pretty sure they won't need to afterwards. They can set up isolated virtualized environments and limit access to specific programs thus eliminating most of the risk of running a complete desktop and needing to deal with security patches. They will then leave these legacy enterprise apps running like appliances because they work with minimal staff requirements to maintain them. There is ample opportunity here for people who are willing to support outdated technologies. They can do that and at far less cost than the cost of developing something new.

I mean it when I say that the skills on my resume that people will pay a premium for are the ones that are well past their support windows. Enterprises won't spend money they don't have to no matter how often the vendor politely asks them to move on. Oracle has dealt with this with Oracle Forms for years. Every time they threaten to tell people to move on and provide migration strategies and whatnot, 90% of the Fortune 500 complains. Same with large web systems that work almost exclusively with IE7. Why pay to move on when what you have works and the technology exists for you to still use what you have?

When my son had a brain tumor I was pretty amused that the MRI machine ran on an old SGI Onyx - that is mid 90's technology that was still running strong in 2008. I bet they still have and maintain that machine today. SGI isn't even in business any more but they need someone to make sure that machine stays running. It is cheaper to find single-case expertise for your secondary MRI than it is to buy a new MRI setup.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

weunice or anyone else that can give me some tech support: the laptop I use most has XP and it is still working great after about 12 years. I use MS Office Word, PowerPoint, and Excel frequently. I'm not a gamer. I do not do video editing or CAD, mostly just Office, email, and BB&B.

What does the loss of XP support mean to me as an individual user? a) Don't worry about it and continue using my current working laptop, or b) replace with a Windows 7 laptop that wife no longer uses (Android tablet), or c) buy an Windows 8.1 tablet with a detachable keyboard that I saw on sale.

My guess is a) don't worry about it, but I could use some reassurance because of security concerns.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    Why pay to move on when what you have works and the technology exists for you to still use what you have?

It is cheaper to find single-case expertise for your secondary MRI than it is to buy a new MRI setup.
    When I make this same argument to civic leaders regarding existing buildings / neighborhoods / infrastructure, they just stare at me looking bumfuzzled.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    When I make this same argument to civic leaders regarding existing buildings / neighborhoods / infrastructure, they just stare at me looking bumfuzzled.
    That's because they have never seen Rodney Dangerfield's lecture to the business school professor in "Back to School." ;-)
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Varsity Bulldog bdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud of bdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    weunice or anyone else that can give me some tech support: the laptop I use most has XP and it is still working great after about 12 years. I use MS Office Word, PowerPoint, and Excel frequently. I'm not a gamer. I do not do video editing or CAD, mostly just Office, email, and BB&B.

What does the loss of XP support mean to me as an individual user? a) Don't worry about it and continue using my current working laptop, or b) replace with a Windows 7 laptop that wife no longer uses (Android tablet), or c) buy an Windows 8.1 tablet with a detachable keyboard that I saw on sale.

My guess is a) don't worry about it, but I could use some reassurance because of security concerns.

My thoughts would be that if it aint broke don't fix it. You basically need a computer that will boot, run your web browser, and ms office suite. You may find that the next version of office won't run on your machine (they want you to go to MS 360 and be on line all the time anyway), but that shouldn't be an issue. If it is, get a new machine then. If you have trouble with your laptop, you can go get the one on sale for less then you can get yours fixed then.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    Yup, also virtualization and remote app access will freeze the old in stone. I mean stone. This especially includes XP. Most companies never called Microsoft for support regarding XP during the support window so they are pretty sure they won't need to afterwards. They can set up isolated virtualized environments and limit access to specific programs thus eliminating most of the risk of running a complete desktop and needing to deal with security patches. They will then leave these legacy enterprise apps running like appliances because they work with minimal staff requirements to maintain them. There is ample opportunity here for people who are willing to support outdated technologies. They can do that and at far less cost than the cost of developing something new.

I mean it when I say that the skills on my resume that people will pay a premium for are the ones that are well past their support windows. Enterprises won't spend money they don't have to no matter how often the vendor politely asks them to move on. Oracle has dealt with this with Oracle Forms for years. Every time they threaten to tell people to move on and provide migration strategies and whatnot, 90% of the Fortune 500 complains. Same with large web systems that work almost exclusively with IE7. Why pay to move on when what you have works and the technology exists for you to still use what you have?

When my son had a brain tumor I was pretty amused that the MRI machine ran on an old SGI Onyx - that is mid 90's technology that was still running strong in 2008. I bet they still have and maintain that machine today. SGI isn't even in business any more but they need someone to make sure that machine stays running. It is cheaper to find single-case expertise for your secondary MRI than it is to buy a new MRI setup.
    The general consensus is that, for HIPAA security purposes on windows-based systems, a migration has to be made...but I don't pretend to be an IT guy. There are still plenty running on AS400. I'm consulting with one right now.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

I feel ya... 250 of the 350 computers in the Police cars are all XP. We're running into all kinds of programs that say they won't guarantee it to work on our XP machines.

+ Reply to Thread