+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "What the Techsters need"

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Re: "What the Techsters need"

This is not a one person issue, no matter who was coaching this group we would be sitting with this record or worse. We struggled through the first 25 or so games with a team of role players. Shelton has been able to immediately bring to the floor that go to mentality and with that it has given everyone else a bit more room to spread their wings.
    We are now seeing role players playing in their roles and a leader has emerged.
    Plain and simple this is a horrible year for us and what happened in the past can't be changed we can only focus on here and now. They played well last night and I hope they come out full of piss and vinegar tonight!!!!

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by philgarris View Post
    This is not a one person issue, no matter who was coaching this group we would be sitting with this record or worse.
    Do you really believe this?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    Do you really believe this?
    I believe that, but you knew that. I don't think Spoon has been the downfall of the program. I think it started way before her.

For now, I am just hoping they can come out like they did last night and upset Charlotte. I HATE where we are, but as a player, I would be VERY hungry and doing something about it. I hope our players are feeling that.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I believe that, but you knew that. I don't think Spoon has been the downfall of the program. I think it started way before her.

For now, I am just hoping they can come out like they did last night and upset Charlotte. I HATE where we are, but as a player, I would be VERY hungry and doing something about it. I hope our players are feeling that.
    I completely agree with this, but she hasn't done anything to improve it. That being said, I will just focus on cheering in the tournament and voice my frustrations when the season is over.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

The problem is certainly not one dimensional. The decline did start way before TSpoon and the blame is NOT solely hers to bare. There are 4 major issues that hamper the program:

#1 - The administration does not care. Perhaps our new AD and President do care but I have a hard time believing that Oaks, Dooley and VDV focused much on reviving the WBB. During their tenures and the tenure of Reneau the WBB program continued on a downward spiral. The fall has been so far that I personally don't believe the program will ever return to top 10-15 status. Perhaps occasional top 20.

#2 - Money. Tech does not invest the kind of $$ needed to build this program to elite status. Lot harder and more expensive to build today compared to 1980s.

#3 - Coaching and recruiting. Neither have been stellar. Hopefully the admin will find the right coach but not till TSpoon's contract is expired b/c of #2 - money.

#4 - Apathy. There was a generation of die hard Techster supporters but many of those have faded over time. The program will have to build a new fan base not on past success but new success. This could take a while.

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    I completely agree with this, but she hasn't done anything to improve it. That being said, I will just focus on cheering in the tournament and voice my frustrations when the season is over.
    DEADAWG , Like you possibly have, I have listened to every game this year and don't think that with the addition of Shelton there is not a team in the tourney that we are not capable of beating on any given night!
    Now, with them doing that in a 5 games in 5 day stretch will definatly not make that any easier for them!
    Even if the Techsters got to the NCAA after an up-set win of the C-USA tourney and lost in the first round of the NCAA's folks would still be saying Coach TSpoon is not the coach for the job!

For now let's just beat charlotte!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Coach TSpoon is not the coach for the job!

Not as a stand-alone head coach. As an associate HC with the other guy/gal handling Xs & Os and game management, ah, yeah, maybe.

Oh, and need to stop recruiting so many guards too.

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Coach TSpoon is not the coach for the job!

Not as a stand-alone head coach. As an associate HC with the other guy/gal handling Xs & Os and game management, ah, yeah, maybe.

Oh, and need to stop recruiting so many guards too.
    I will never see, but I am sure one day you will my friend!
    I have been saying all year that we were one player away from a great team, although I thought that position was a post player!
    And in case you have not notice yet it has been a "guard" that has turned this lack luster team into a winner!
    And when we add Wingate to this same starting line up and 7 player rotation, this team is going to be even more formidable
    Not to mention a recruiting class, the best the Techsters has had in some time. That is which some of them, could be imediat inpact players, the future for Coach TSpoon and the Techsters is looking very bright!
    The only thing we have to worry about now is just getting by the home team UTEP tomorrow!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BlindDog View Post
    I will never see, but I am sure one day you will my friend!
    I have been saying all year that we were one player away from a great team, although I thought that position was a post player!
    And in case you have not notice yet it has been a "guard" that has turned this lack luster team into a winner!
    And when we add Wingate to this same starting line up and 7 player rotation, this team is going to be even more formidable
    Not to mention a recruiting class, the best the Techsters has had in some time. That is which some of them, could be imediat inpact players, the future for Coach TSpoon and the Techsters is looking very bright!
    The only thing we have to worry about now is just getting by the home team UTEP tomorrow!
    I am SO excited about winning 2 games in the tournament after this disappointing year. It is obvious that Shelton was SO needed. I can only imagine what this team could have done during the year, if she had been with the team. Wingate is going to be a great addition. This team should do very well next year! I was just hoping against hope that we could win a couple of games in this tournament. We did that and made history being the lowest seed to ever do that in NCAA history. That is a truly amazing turn around. I don't know if we can beat UTEP on their home floor after such a "grind it out" game last night. They are fresh and we are going to have some tired legs on their home court. If we pull off that miracle, we could take this tournament!

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Needs (besides the obvious)
    1. A few more hundred fans like you folk.tumbs up.gif

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post

There's always a few folks that stay in denial.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    There's always a few folks that stay in denial.
    I think you were in denial, as upset Charlotte (which was what that post was about, if you read it).

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Champ -

It was pretty evident that both wins in the tourney could be directly attributed to the teams overlooking the Techsters and that had no respect for our team and its staff's ability to coach -

I honestly haven't watched a lot of Techster basketball in the last 3 years or so, but what I witnessed in El Paso was a dreadful product and a coach who looks totally lost 5 years into the gig

A change had to be made - I'm really surprised they did it
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Champ -

It was pretty evident that both wins in the tourney could be directly attributed to the teams overlooking the Techsters and that had no respect for our team and its staff's ability to coach -

I honestly haven't watched a lot of Techster basketball in the last 3 years or so, but what I witnessed in El Paso was a dreadful product and a coach who looks totally lost 5 years into the gig

A change had to be made - I'm really surprised they did it

They won because they gained confidence at the end of the season, worked their butts off, and added Shelton. I watched almost every game, and believe me it was better at the end.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

....it was better at the end.

YEP! when Spoon was fired. That is a good ending to this dismal season.

+ Reply to Thread