+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Posts in the Football forum that belong in the Paw-litics forum

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Re: If you want a thread to die

Thanks Old Blue. I've never made it a secret that I lean left on most fiscal questions, but I stopped talking politics on this board about a decade ago. Not because my views are in the minority, but because few posters seem willing / able to respectfully disagree on principle.

I've said this before but .... I think we can all agree govt is a necessary evil. But to what degree it is (or should be) each of those things is where I observe the source of most debates. Many men and women I love and respect tend to distrust govt as a matter of course. I do not share that inherent distrust, or at least not to the extent many others do. But reasonable people can disagree.

I would submit that govt is a legitimate mechanism to manage some range of societal issues, and I suspect you'd agree. But we can disagree about the breadth and scope of that range ... It takes all kinds.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

10-4.
    I understand there is corruption in Corporate America. I just believe they will get theirs. But When the people entrusted to uphold the constitution begin "re-writing" it and stepping on personal liberties the voter must step up.
    Regulation for the "common" good is necessary. Regulation to pick and choose is evil. No, I don't care what "brand" does it. But we the people have a grand responsibility to address such.
    Conservative or liberal, there are fundamental issues we should not be divided over.

God bless us all.
    Last edited by OLDBLUE; 02-09-2014 at 06:05 AM.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Yep...I'm a Republican. I believe less government is better. Now, Obama is going to act without Congress and shove more crap down our throats!!! I for one, DO NOT like that!!!!!

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OLDBLUE View Post
    10-4.
    I understand there is corruption in Corporate America. I just believe they will get their's. But When the people entrusted to uphold the constitution begin "re-writing" it and stepping on personal liberties the voter must step up.
    Regulation for the "common" good is necessary. Regulation to pick and choose is evil. No, I don't care what "brand" does it. But we the people have a grand responsibility to address such.
    conservative or liberal, there are fundamental issues we should not be divided over.

God bless us all.
    And that explains it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 70TECHGRAD View Post
    Amen!!! The next president will have a lot to undo!
    1495460_10151838380317245_942188270_n.jpg

Big Dog dj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Thanks Old Blue. I've never made it a secret that I lean left on most fiscal questions, but I stopped talking politics on this board about a decade ago. Not because my views are in the minority, but because few posters seem willing / able to respectfully disagree on principle.

I've said this before but .... I think we can all agree govt is a necessary evil. But to what degree it is (or should be) each of those things is where I observe the source of most debates. Many men and women I love and respect tend to distrust govt as a matter of course. I do not share that inherent distrust, or at least not to the extent many others do. But reasonable people can disagree.

I would submit that govt is a legitimate mechanism to manage some range of societal issues, and I suspect you'd agree. But we can disagree about the breadth and scope of that range ... It takes all kinds.

I think the way we were founded was to be a federal republic with a federal government that handled very little in the way of social issues. What has continued to happen over the 20th century IMO is we have nationalized regional issues that brought cultural differences to the fore in a way that it had not been done since the years prior to the Civil War. Our national politics therefore have become the battle ground on a cultural war that does not have to exist. The 50 state governments are more than capable to handle most of these social issues in a way that most fits the needs, culture, and expectations of their citizens. It is the hubris of the national government, often times regardless of party, that try to push their cultural desires on areas where it is not welcome that causes problems. And that holds true whether you are from Texas and Louisiana or New York and California.

Big Dog dj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant future

love having discussions also, and not the name calling when it comes to politics

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dj95 View Post
    I think the way we were founded was to be a federal republic with a federal government that handled very little in the way of social issues.
    Agreed. But The Founders of this nation were hardly role models. Plus they're all dead. Just because they did not contemplate the federal govt as a tool to manage social issues does not preclude us from doing so.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Agreed. But The Founders of this nation were hardly role models. Plus they're all dead. Just because they did not contemplate the federal govt as a tool to manage social issues does not preclude us from doing so.
    Really?

Maybe Stalin is more to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Really?

Maybe Stalin is more to your liking.
    Ben Franklin and Joe Stalin were each depraved sinners.

Cf. your Bible.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Ben Franklin and Joe Stalin were each depraved sinners.

Cf. your Bible.
    Yes, but Ben Franklin didn't kill millions of his fellow citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Yes, but Ben Franklin didn't kill millions of his fellow citizens.
    So Stalin was a worse sinner? (Check your Bible before answering.)

Lincoln killed plenty of his fellow citizens. Is he a role model?

True, but I think it would be prudent to do so. Gay marriage, socialized medicine, legalization of certain drugs, abortion, gun control, school choice, etc etc. These are all state issues. Remove this from the national docket and you would see the federal government have the ability to confront real issues facing the country such as national defense, crumbling infrastructures, and improving the value of the American dollar thus strengthening the economy. You are rarely going to convince someone to change their minds on their core values, yet as a nation, we expend a lot of time and vitriol trying to do just this.

I believe this is the genius the framers of the Constitution. A federal republic that allowed states to have sovereignty over things that were relevant to its citizens and national government to address issues that were of mutual benefit to all.

Quote Originally Posted by dj95 View Post
    True, but I think it would be prudent to do so. Gay marriage, socialized medicine, legalization of certain drugs, abortion, gun control, school choice, etc etc. These are all state issues. Remove this from the national docket and you would see the federal government have the ability to confront real issues facing the country such as national defense, crumbling infrastructures, and improving the value of the American dollar thus strengthening the economy. You are rarely going to convince someone to change their minds on their core values, yet as a nation, we expend a lot of time and vitriol trying to do just this.

I believe this is the genius the framers of the Constitution. A federal republic that allowed states to have sovereignty over things that were relevant to its citizens and national government to address issues that were of mutual benefit to all.
    Agree. We just have to hash out on a case-by-case basis what should be considered a national issue.

I would argue, for example, that the federal level was the correct venue to address civil rights. But opponents at that time maintained it was best left to the states. History has demonstrated they were incorrect.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Cf. your Bible.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

+ Reply to Thread