+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 3/19 Iona game (NIT)

Champ girldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud of

Re: 3/19 Iona game (NIT)

From Iona's message board:

"La Tech is a 7.5-point favorite."

"And well deserved. We are going to have to play our A game to beat this team at their place. They are as good as SMU statistically."

Champ kw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud of

I watched the Iona-Manhattan MAAC championship game. Very entertaining game, and I remember thinking at the time neither were a team I would want us to play. Manhattan hit a few more shots down the stretch, but you could tell Iona could play with anyone.

Sadly the casual fans won't know how good this team is, but our defense is going to have to be stellar to win this game.

Big Dog TechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Pitcherjlt View Post
    Bought 5 tickets for this game this morning around 11:00. (2 where my season tickets are and 3 more for a friend and his kids) There were quite a few people in the ticket office purchasing, some that were leaving as I was walking up, and more walking in as I was leaving. The guys who work in the Tech ticket office said sales have been really good so far. Sure would be nice to get 6 or 7 thousand in the TAC Wednesday night.
    I see this happening.So looking forward to seeing our Dawgs play at the TAC. See Ya There in Tech Blue.

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

Ticket office was just buzzing around 4:00 this afternoon. They still had student tickets available, which is disappointing. I was hoping they'd go fast.

In other news...Iona hasn't won a game outside of the Eastern time zone. I don't know if that will matter or not, but I did think it was interesting.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

If you go to ESPN3 you can watch some of the Iona games. They play very fast, look for the 3 often, and like to press. I think we are more athletic and might just have a little advantage in the paint. But it is hard to say only having watched less than half a game.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

For those like me wondering where New Rochelle is located, it looks just northeast of the Bronx.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Defense
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Puppy ICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really nice

You are pretty much right on with your analysis of Iona. We want to play up tempo and shoot threes. We start 5 wing players where 4 of them have made at least 60 threes or more this year and bring our one true big off the bench. very streaky team where no lead is safe whether we are up 15 or down 15. the key for Iona is to have at least 2 of our 4 shooters having hot shooting nights and our big stating out of foul trouble. The Iona fans know we will need to play at our very best to try and get this win. the teams seem pretty close in size which helps us since at times rebounding hurts us. expecting a close game

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    For those like me wondering where New Rochelle is located, it looks just northeast of the Bronx.

It's where Dick Van Dyke, er Robert Petry and his beautiful wife Laura lived in that TV show of the '60s.

Big Dog gabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud of

Interesting stat comparison:

Scoring offense (pts per game)
    3. Iona - 83.5
    13. La Tech - 80.3

Assists (per game)
    3. Iona - 17.3
    12. La tech - 15.8

Three point %
    9. Iona - 39.6% (offense) vs. 13. La Tech - 30.3% (defense)

Turnovers (per possession)
    15. Iona - 14.5% (offense) vs. 10. LA Tech - 22.4% (defense)

SOURCE

Big Dog gabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud of

CONTRAST

Offensive Shooting %
    10. Iona - 48.7%
    106. La Tech - 45.2%

Three pt %
    9. Iona - 39.6%
    224. La Tech - 33.0%

Offensive efficiency:
    5. Iona - 1.148
    48. La Tech - 1.087

FT %
    135. Iona - 71.1%
    272. La Tech - 66.9%

Defense (pts allowed):
    57. La Tech - 65.6
    320. Iona - 77.2

Defense (shooting % allowed):
    63. La Tech - 41.2%
    248. Iona - 45.4%

Defensive Efficiency:
    9. La Tech - 0.888
    267. Iona - 1.062

Rebounds (per game):
    14. La Tech - 39.1
    254. Iona - 33.0

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

So Iona, statistically, has an edge on offense, and Tech has the edge on defense.

Am I reading that right?

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I bet Iona would feel more comfortable playing in Memorial Gym vs the TAC.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    So Iona, statistically, has an edge on offense, and Tech has the edge on defense.

Am I reading that right?
    Yes.

Iona's offensive KenPom stats are off the charts.
    - #10 in offensive efficiency
    - #3 in effective field goal percentage
    - #14 in turnover percentage
    - #9 in 3-point percentage
    - #5 in 2-point percentage
    - #7 in steal percentage

Iona's Weaknesses
    - Don't rebound
    - Don't block shots
    - Don't get to FT line
    - Don't play good defense (except that they don't foul much)

Puppy ICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really niceICFAN is just really nice

Interesting note from this game is that La. Tech and Iona have both offered 6'8'' PF Nick Havener from Florida according to verbal commits. Also the line has gone from 7.5 to 9.5.

+ Reply to Thread