+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: From the Rumor Mill

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: From the Rumor Mill

Let me add....

TQM is the basis of sound management practices. In a "previous life" or so it seems now, I facilitated quality improvement at a paper mill. I am not a chemical engineer and therefore never offered any opinions on the technical aspect of the operations of the mill. Instead I listened to what the CEs said in meetings, their suggestions, their concerns, and did it without prejudice since I lacked the expertise to comment. I would ask for clarification at times which initiated further discussion among the engineers, and also the technicians who actually operated the machinery as they too were represented in the sessions.

Now, take that concept to the office of CEO for ANY organization. In effect the CEO asks: tell me what you need to do your job better, and tell me about obstacles in your way that hamper your efforts.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

They didn't violate every rule of good management just the ones that pertained to the particular industry that they were trying to run. Just go read the book I mentioned. It was the spirit of the times and it contributed to the energy crisis which arose in the late 1980s. All the oil companies were going out and buying up smaller companies which had proven reserves and very few doing exploration and production so our dependence on foreign (cheap to produce) oil grew and grew until the Saudis, Iraqis, Libyans etc decided it was their crude oil and nationalized all of the American interests (at least the Saudis agreed to pay something).

Now the trend has been reversed with lessons learned.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I don't often get to agree with Dawg80, but I have observed in my short time that ...

The problem with hospitals is that they're run by people who trained as surgeons, and

The problem with highway departments is that they're run by people who trained as civil engineers, and

The problem with schools is that they're run by people who trained as teachers.

So I'm inclined to agree that a professor may not always be the best fit for running a university.

Promoting the most skilled technician(s) to management is often a recipe for trouble.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967;1429678[B
    ]I don't often get to agree with Dawg80[/B], but I have observed in my short time that ...

The problem with hospitals is that they're run by people who trained as surgeons, and

The problem with highway departments is that they're run by people who trained as civil engineers, and

The problem with schools is that they're run by people who trained as teachers.

So I'm inclined to agree that a professor may not always be the best fit for running a university.

Promoting the most skilled technician(s) to management is often a recipe for trouble.
    A red letter day! Note the date in the archives, it won't often be repeated.

Well, Champ, how's it feel to be right for a change?

j/k :icon_wink:

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

What percentage of "hospitals" are administrated by surgeons? I would have guessed this was a low number.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Another program in jeopardy down the road

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/2...d-Tech-program

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    What percentage of "hospitals" are administrated by surgeons? I would have guessed this was a low number.
    Agreed. Probably a very low number. I was using hospitals as an example, i.e. administrator is an "MBA" not an "MD", to support my contention universities should follow that model.

There are similarities. Hospitals, like universities, are hamstrung by a mountain of gov-mint regulations and can't simply operate (efficiently) as a for-profit business. Hospitals can't refuse service to someone in their ER even though they may know, or suspect, that person has no means to pay for it. Likewise, public universities, especially, are mandated to provide certain services that don't make business sense. Therefore, it is even MORE critical that such entities maximize efficiency/effectiveness in areas they do control.

Varsity Bulldog solo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the rough

I'm in Charleston. All sorts of reasons why there are massive protests behind the new president's appointment but one of the issues is he is not an academic. Fun times.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post

According to ULM, if their program isn't saved "We would have more people die."

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    According to ULM, if their program isn't saved "We would have more people die."

I saw that..."mello-drama" much? haha

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post

Does Tech still have a medical tech degree program?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Dont you watch Greys Anatomy?

Seriously ... It's less then it used to be. But it was the norm not long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Does Tech still have a medical tech degree program?
    Yes we do, and apparently, it's pretty good:

Louisiana Polytechnic Institute (the forerunner of Louisiana Tech University) became a pioneer in this field when it began its Program in Medical Technology in 1937. Today, it remains one of the longest continually operating Medical Technology programs in the country, with over 1500 graduates from throughout the U.S. and abroad completing its baccalaureate degree program since its inception. Most are professionally certified by ASCP or other credentialing agencies as Medical Technologists (Clinical Laboratory Scientists).

In 1987, the Louisiana State Board of Regents recognized the Louisiana Tech Program as being in the top 1% of academic programs in the State of Louisiana and presented it with its prestigious Board of Regents Commendation of Excellence.

http://ans.latech.edu/bs-medical-technology.html

Thanks. I guess I should have found that myself.

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

Most students going into college have no idea what medical technology is, much less consider it as a career. Average starting salary in this area is $20+/hour and there's always openings within 30 miles of any town in northeast Louisiana. I don't know what our program's enrollment is, but I hope it more than the 22 at ULM.

+ Reply to Thread