+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Paid For This Result????

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Re: I Paid For This Result????

For what it's worth, I have a MA from Tech in Speech with a concentration in Arts Administration. In other words, I was a theatre major, but I did get my BS in Marketing. After i graduated, I was offered two jobs by the Arkansas Rep Theatre in LR (1992). First job $100/week as a marketing intern. Turned it down and 3 months later was offered the Box Office Manager's position for $12K a year. I immediately thought it wasn't the profession for me. The difference was, I wasn't at the time a very good actor, and had no lofty goals about making it in the business.

So I "fell back" onto my business degree, moved to Atlanta and got my first job. I was made the youngest manager ever in that company and gave speeches at every convention we put on. Why...because I can get up in front of 1000 people and not be nervous, and I'm a good public speaker. At the time I thought, as well as my parents, the degree was a waste, but the things I learned in theatre became evident later in my career, and in my case, they paid off.

Now, besides my real job, I'm on the BOD of a local theatre company, act and direct regularly, and have become well known in my community, and was even cast in a speaking role in a movie last year. So I'm living my dream, but living it practically. For me, it's the best of both worlds. I can perform my art and eat.

With that said, he's gotta live the dream for at least a little while. Even though everything happens for a reason, I do kind of wish I had at least tried for a little while, just to see what would have happened.

That said...the ones that make it in the business, are the ones that dream it, work at it, and make that dream come true.

I wish him all the best.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Oh, and one more thing. The business is all about connections. You never know who you're going to run into, and can help you later. Once the internship is over, I would tell him to audition for National touring companies and even cruise ships to build that resume. At least those jobs will earn you a living wage and get him the connections he needs.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

My son said one of the best things about this internship is the connections you make. The guy who started it is Timothy Busfield, you might remember him from thirtysomething and Field of Dreams, among other shows. His brother now runs it. Anyway, it will be a good learning experience for him. He has minor in voice/vocal performance to fall back on, but not sure how much that is in demand.

+ Reply to Thread