+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: W. Basketball. Summitt Introduced as Louisiana Tech Head Coach

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: W. Basketball. Summitt Introduced as Louisiana Tech Head Coach

I'm not going to defend Summitt.

But I will address how long it takes to turn a program around and some of the comments that have been made about his age and lack of success to this point.

It took Mike Krzyzewski 6 years to really get Duke going.

1st yr: 17-13, 6-8 in conference.
    2nd yr: 10-17, 4-10 in conference.
    3rd yr: 11-17, 3-11 in conference.
    4th yr: 24-10, 7-7 in conference.
    5th yr: 23-8, 8-6 in conference.
    6th yr: 37-3, 12-2 in conference.

Saw an interview where Krzyzewski talked about his career. He'd gotten letters from guys telling him to please quit and spare the program after the second season and after the third season things got a lot worse for him. A few years ago when he was mentioned for a pro coaching job those same guys wrote him asking him to please stay for the good of the program. Krzyzewski had kept the letters and matched them up.

Everyone draws their own conclusions about how long a coach should have to turn a program around. But would Duke be where they are today if they'd canned Krzyzewski after the 2nd or 3rd year? The easy call for the AD was to fire him but to Duke's AD's credit he stuck by him.

Summitt has to be gone for what happened. But whether or not he might have turned the program around, we'll never know. If this thing hadn't happened, personally I don't think it was time to fire him and I don't think he was a bad coach.

As far as being too young, I was 24 when I opened a Fortune 500 oilfield service company's 1st offshore yard in Intercoastal City. And it went just fine. It's not the age. It's the man. Works the same way at the other end of your career when you start getting over 50, but it can turn into holding on to your highly responsible job vs being replace by someone younger. Don't be guilty of blank age criteria...you may be the next victim of someone's misplaced preconceived notion.

Champ girldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud of

People who take pleasure from flapping their wings and crowing that they were right, that they didn't want Summit in the first place make me sick. This is a terrible blow to our beloved university. It makes no difference if you were for or against his hiring, the negative effect on Tech is far more important than pumping up your ego by proclaiming that you were right. At least give this some time for this punched-in-the-gut feeling I have to dissipate. And no, I wasn't initially in favor of his hire. But he WAS hired and he WAS our coach. After hearing him speak about the past greatness of our program, I thought that he "got it" and really hoped he could bring us back to the glory days. Perhaps not Final Four appearances, but at least vying for conference championships and trips to the Dance.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    I'm not going to defend Summitt.

But I will address how long it takes to turn a program around and some of the comments that have been made about his age and lack of success to this point.

It took Mike Krzyzewski 6 years to really get Duke going.

1st yr: 17-13, 6-8 in conference.
    2nd yr: 10-17, 4-10 in conference.
    3rd yr: 11-17, 3-11 in conference.
    4th yr: 24-10, 7-7 in conference.
    5th yr: 23-8, 8-6 in conference.
    6th yr: 37-3, 12-2 in conference.

Saw an interview where Krzyzewski talked about his career. He'd gotten letters from guys telling him to please quit and spare the program after the second season and after the third season things got a lot worse for him. A few years ago when he was mentioned for a pro coaching job those same guys wrote him asking him to please stay for the good of the program. Krzyzewski had kept the letters and matched them up.

Everyone draws their own conclusions about how long a coach should have to turn a program around. But would Duke be where they are today if they'd canned Krzyzewski after the 2nd or 3rd year? The easy call for the AD was to fire him but to Duke's AD's credit he stuck by him.

Summitt has to be gone for what happened. But whether or not he might have turned the program around, we'll never know. If this thing hadn't happened, personally I don't think it was time to fire him and I don't think he was a bad coach.

As far as being too young, I was 24 when I opened a Fortune 500 oilfield service company's 1st offshore yard in Intercoastal City. And it went just fine. It's not the age. It's the man. Works the same way at the other end of your career when you start getting over 50, but it can turn into holding on to your highly responsible job vs being replace by someone younger. Don't be guilty of blank age criteria...you may be the next victim of someone's misplaced preconceived notion.
    I find your post thought provoking, and at the same time exhibiting some denial. Let me say up front that I've always respected your posts, so this is not an "attack". To the contrary, I simply want to see my university learn from its mistakes.

First, Tyler Summit is not Mike Krzyzewski. Very few people produce those kind of results in a lifetime. So comparing any 23-yr old (or 25-yr old now) coach to Coach K is just another bad idea.

Secondly, while "how long a coach (Summit) should have to turn a program around" was certainly a primary concern in this thread, some of us expressed other misgivings from the outset. My main concerns were multi-faceted: his age, his lack of experience, his unproven judgment (which typically comes with age and experience, and ended up being the killer) and just the idea of having a 23-yr male authority figure over a bunch of 18-23-yr old girls.

Next, while I certainly congratulate you TD for your professional success at the young age of 24, I'm sure you can see the distinction between working with a bunch of men in an offshore yard at age 24 vs being the ultimate authority figure --at age 24-- over a bunch of college girls ages 18 to 24.

Lost in all this is that --IMO-- the people around Tyler Summit have actually done him a disservice. They put him in a terrible position. It was too much, too soon. By giving him too much authority over so many young women at such a young age, they actually put him in a position to fail --in a big way-- at an early age. I'm not making excuses for him. Tyler Summit certainly bears all the responsibility for his actions and his deficient judgement.

But, the fact remains that Tyler lacked the experience, the maturity and the acumen to qualify for this HC job in the first place. Tyler's resume should have been tossed out with the others. But everyone got caught up in the "legacy" stuff. Lady Techster fans, T-Mac, Leon Barmore, Mickie DeMoss....even Pat Summit. They all got sucked into the legacy talk, and they wanted to connect the old Lady Techsters with the new. Now, Tyler's career could be negatively impacted for many years to come, if not forever.

I kinda feel sorry for the kid in a way. The people around him (including LA Tech) were so starved for a savior of a legacy program that he was pushed before his time.
    Last edited by HogDawg; 04-08-2016 at 10:40 AM.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I find your post thought provoking, and at the same time exhibiting some denial. Let me say up front that I've always respected your posts, so this is not an "attack". To the contrary, I simply want to see my university learn from its mistakes.

First, Tyler Summit is not Mike Krzyzewski. Very few people produce those kind of results in a lifetime. So comparing any 23-yr old (or 25-yr old now) coach to Coach K is just another bad idea.

Secondly, while "how long a coach (Summit) should have to turn a program around" was certainly a primary concern in this thread, some of us expressed other misgivings from the outset. My main concerns were multi-faceted: his age, his lack of experience, his unproven judgment (which typically comes with age and experience, and ended up being the killer) and just the idea of having a 23-yr male authority figure over a bunch of 18-23-yr old girls.

Next, while I certainly congratulate you TD for your professional success at the young age of 24, I'm sure you can see the distinction between working with a bunch of men in an offshore yard at age 24 vs being the ultimate authority figure --at age 24-- over a bunch of college girls ages 18 to 24.

Lost in all this is that --IMO-- the people around Tyler Summit have actually done him a disservice. They put him in a terrible position. It was too much, too soon. By giving him too much authority over so many young women at such a young age, they actually put him in a position to fail --in a big way-- at an early age. I'm not making excuses for him. Tyler Summit certainly bears all the responsibility for his actions and his deficient judgement.

But, the fact remains that Tyler lacked the experience, the maturity and the acumen to qualify for this HC job in the first place. Tyler's resume should have been tossed out with the others. But everyone got caught up in the "legacy" stuff. Lady Techster fans, T-Mac, Leon Barmore, Mickie DeMoss....even Pat Summit. They all got sucked into the legacy talk, and they wanted to connect the old Lady Techsters with the new. Now, Tylers career could be negatively impacted for many years, if not forever.

I kinda feel sorry for the kid in a way. The people around him (including LA Tech) were so starved for a savior of a legacy program that he was pushed before his time.
    Good post HD.

Whether or not he could have done anything close to Krzyzewski, we'll never know. It's over.

Denial? No not hardly. No, its known now Summitt wasn't ready. I will say after meeting and talking with him after his first season, I thought he was ready and up to the task.

As for how much time a coach should have to turn a program around, there are a lot of people who are more than willing to fire a coach if things haven't worked out after the 2nd or 3rd year. Sometimes its just not enough time. That is a major reason why I referenced Krzyzewski. A lot of people wanted him gone after the 3rd year and firing him would have been a mistake.

Was Summitt done a disservice? 20/20 hindsight says yes. Had this bad situation not happened, maybe not. Maybe it could have been the start of a great career. But as Don Meredith said, "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas". We are where we are and he is where he is. it's a tough situation for all involved.

Being a Tech guy to the core my concern is my school. The admin, particularly the athletic admin, obviously has a huge problem on it's hands. Talk about being looked at under the microscope. It's another "Captain Obvious" thing to say but how this is managed and who the next hire is will be critical.

And I kinda feel sorry for him too. Plugging away after this episode is going to be tough for him and for the people he loves and cares about. In all seriousness, I'll be praying for all of them. They all need all the help they can get.

I've said what I wanted to say. Later.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by girldawg View Post
    People who take pleasure from flapping their wings and crowing that they were right, that they didn't want Summit in the first place make me sick. This is a terrible blow to our beloved university....... .
    Think before you use it. What you are about to say, is it:
    True
    Helpful

Inspiring
    Needed
    Kind?

Or is it just an attempt to polish your err Apple? "I told you so!!!" but we're still bad listeners. Too late to 'splain it now.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Was at the press conference when he was introduced and was impressed. He would've been a great hire, and I think he would've been a successful coach if he had set proper boundaries for himself....the Billy Graham rules really. Sick he blew it. He didn't have the players that I think he'd have eventually gotten, but I feel horrible for those who did come to play for him. I'll support this team. This is a terrible thing for his family and the girls he was leading - his selfishness impacted a tremendous number of people as a leader. The Techsters were hard for me to watch at times this year, but I thought much of it related to youth and experience....of the players more than the coach. My favorite players were the younger ones....there is promise, but it will definitely be a tough blow for the team to overcome.

+ Reply to Thread