+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Offensive scheme changes and new coordinator

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Offensive scheme changes and new coordinator

Holtz obviously is shying away from up-tempo spread.

Problem is, he's not being honest about why. I wish he'd just come out and say, "QB is a problem. We're going to lose if we don't focus on the run." But instead, we're getting strung along.

I think we have a major problem at QB, and this move suggests we still have a problem with pass protection and/or WRs as well. We may not agree with Holtz's scheme, but we may be even worse if we don't become run-focused.

Puppy dawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nice dawg87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I like seeing us do well on the national scene as well. I liked the Texas A&M game even though we lost, because it brought Tech a lot of national attention. But I think our goal should be to win our conference and go bowling. We have a better chance of doing that consistently than becoming LSU or Texas A&M, imo.
    T1, sometimes I struggle with trying to figure out whether you are a "well spoken" troll or just kind of a pesimist when it comes to Tech football. I would have to say any Athletic program's goal is to compete at the highest level, or that program will not see much success. If we can continue to grow our program and acheive that national prowess then dollars come and so do conference championships and bowl games. Later in this thread you reference how we couldn't win a "depleted WAC" with high octane offense. The last year in the conference, the WAC had three teams ranked in the top 25 and was probably stronger than CUSA that year, including the schools who left for AAC. The only way in the near future that Tech will regain any national prowess is the offense has to be high tempo and high scoring. If we run game management type offense and run the ball, Auburn games will be 42 -10 losses and North Texas games will be 38 to 17 losses. Maybe we could win some close ones against teams like UTEP and Southern Miss but the overall success of our program will be a whole lot like last year. Don't sell yourself short as a fan, T1, we aren't ULM we should be competeing at a much higher level than Holtz has us at right now.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg87 View Post
    T1, sometimes I struggle with trying to figure out whether you are a "well spoken" troll or just kind of a pesimist when it comes to Tech football. I would have to say any Athletic program's goal is to compete at the highest level, or that program will not see much success. If we can continue to grow our program and acheive that national prowess then dollars come and so do conference championships and bowl games. Later in this thread you reference how we couldn't win a "depleted WAC" with high octane offense. The last year in the conference, the WAC had three teams ranked in the top 25 and was probably stronger than CUSA that year, including the schools who left for AAC. The only way in the near future that Tech will regain any national prowess is the offense has to be high tempo and high scoring. If we run game management type offense and run the ball, Auburn games will be 42 -10 losses and North Texas games will be 38 to 17 losses. Maybe we could win some close ones against teams like UTEP and Southern Miss but the overall success of our program will be a whole lot like last year. Don't sell yourself short as a fan, T1, we aren't ULM we should be competeing at a much higher level than Holtz has us at right now.

I'm neither. I'm a big Tech fan and one of the 3 optimists on this board. The point of my post you referenced is to discuss if it is realistic for Tech to compete for national championships or if we should just try to compete for conference championships first. I'm kind of a realist when I think we should set our sites on beating UNT and UTSA before we think about beating Oklahoma and Auburn.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

And keep in mind that we are 17-97 against the big boys in our history.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

You get that garbage we saw last year. (if you also throw in a poor line).
    Throw in a piss poor coach too.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

I'm neither. I'm a big Tech fan and one of the 3 optimists on this board. The point of my post you referenced is to discuss if it is realistic for Tech to compete for national championships or if we should just try to compete for conference championships first. I'm kind of a realist when I think we should set our sites on beating UNT and UTSA before we think about beating Oklahoma and Auburn.
    Dude. Nobody said we need to compete for national championships. You are making crap up at this point.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

I am glad basketball is going to be exciting next year- football certainly is not!

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Dude. Nobody said we need to compete for national championships. You are making crap up at this point.
    Then where do we want to be? Somewhere between CUSA champs and national champs? Like the 2011 season? (WAC champs, but not in the Top 25). We bitch because the Power I won't beat Michigan or LSU. But is that realistic anyway? Will the spread make us better than Michigan and LSU? If we are better than Michigan and LSU, are we competing for a national championship? Where do we envision this program, realistically?

Would we be happy if we won CUSA next year and averaged 21 points a game and got blown out by Ole Miss in a bowl game?

Big Dog Terence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of light Terence32's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWillisDawg View Post
    It appears that Holtz has taken over the offensive scheme and play calling. Gone are the days of fast pace, move-the-chains spread attack. Oh, well now we are reverting back to the Power-I. I wonder how long it will take for him to figure out we do not have Big 10 O-linemen. Can't wait to watch Holtz "new" brand of 3 downs and out with 2 running plays and 1 incomplete pass brand of offensive football. I predict Peterson is gone after this year.
    I guess Holtz knows he has to product this year so why not take control of your own destiny. However, the problem is not with Holtz the problem is that we hired him. He is too conservative for 21st century offensive football. Can't wait to watch our team score 13 pts. per game this year!

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/2...nkering-scheme

I have said from day one, he was not the right hire for this program. Who the hell does he expect to beat running this power I? Teams like Bama, LSU and USC can pull that off. Two years down the drain with this guy

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terence32 View Post

Two years down the drain with this guy
    If we are lucky

I have said from day one, he was not the right hire for this program. Who the hell does he expect to beat running this power I? Teams like Bama, LSU and USC can pull that off. Two years down the drain with this guy
    This is my point right here. He expects to beat North Texas, Middle Tennessee, Old Dominion, UTSA, etc. Not LSU, Alabama, Ohio St.

Rice, North Texas, and Tulane all went bowling last year with boring offenses while we sat home. Why can't we win like that? We can't recruit the badass players that those schools can? We have to trick them or we will get manhandled? I don't buy that!

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

Dykes proved that a mid-major can at least compete by scoring a lot of points against most any team. All we needed is a better defense. Now we dismantle the machine and have a not so genius offensive mind to rebuild it. The argument that we need to fit the system to the players that you CAN recruit is certainly for in favor of a pro-style run 70% and throw 30%. We were able to be successful doing that - more 60/40 in the early 90s when we went to the I- Bowl but we also had some pretty good defenses and threw the ball mid-range and down the field quite well. We have not had much success scoring a lot of points in that style of offense since then. If it had not be for Livas and special teams we would not have scored enough points to beat N ILL under Dooley. I think honestly that after we show no improvement this year and actually become so conservatively predictable that Holtz will be shown the door. I think the outcry from donors will be overwhelming.

Why bring in a guy that has been a integral part of a high powered offense to not allow him to scheme and call plays. Ask Tiger fans how much more they enjoy Les managing the game and NOT call plays

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I prefer a wide open attack on offense. And I do think that kind of approach gives us our best chance of winning against teams with more talent (which is a big picture goal).

But I also agree with T1 that we can win our conference running whatever offense we want to run (in theory). Because conference teams should be roughly at our level in terms of pure talent. In a given year some may be a little behind us and some may even be a little ahead of us, but not so much that we couldn't win with any particular style of play.

Whatever we're going to run, just run it well. If we want to have a power running game, that's fine. Just find a way to do it well. If we're going to run from the spread, that's fine, too. And I think you can do that quickly, or at a more traditional pace (and in a number of ways - Oregon, Arizona, and Baylor all run the ball a lot from the spread but with different styles). You don't have to have 2 tight ends and a fullback to run the ball. You don't have to run the wishbone to control the pace of the game. You don't have to go no-huddle with the spread. Whatever.

But where I think you run into trouble is not having (and practicing and practicing and practicing and practicing and practicing) a real offensive philosophy.

It's fun to debate on message boards about our particular favorite approaches, and I have my own. But I really just want something that works. After that, all the arguing about specific play-calls or formations or whatever becomes a lot more fun.

Puppy dawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nicedawg87 is just really nice dawg87's Avatar

This is my point right here. He expects to beat North Texas, Middle Tennessee, Old Dominion, UTSA, etc. Not LSU, Alabama, Ohio St.

Rice, North Texas, and Tulane all went bowling last year with boring offenses while we sat home. Why can't we win like that?
    Check the history of those 3 programs success running the Power I. They were succesful because we were terrible and so was much of the conference. They were atleast respectable teams but we cant aspire to be a 2013 North Texas if we want a healthy football program. I would rather take the Boise State/ TCU approach, which was was continually make great coaching hires after one is bought away. We did not do that with Holtz and if we are going to run a succesful Pro style offense he is not the best at it by any means. The Spread is not the be all end all but it can be an equilizer.
    And no I wouldnt be happy with a team that barely wins CUSA and gets blown out in a bowl by Ole Miss, that would say our conference is a SUNBELT type of conference, and the fact that we are comparable right now is why I am upset.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

We need to sell tickets. Especially season tickets. Let's see how 3 yds and a cloud of dust does for ticket sales.

+ Reply to Thread