+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Updated Standards Manual

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Re: Updated Standards Manual

I read this entire thread and it obviously sums up to one concise point - The "T" on the helmets should be white.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    What do exceptions to the English language have to do with this? I'm not saying we have to following AP guidelines. What I am saying is that every credible news source in the United States uses the AP abbreviation La. Tech. No Tech standards manual will change that. The AP style guide is why people call us La Tech. I was told by people in our athletic department that the abbreviation for Louisiana is LA. That's how clueless and stubborn these people are.

La = Lah phonetically
    LA = El Aye phonetically

This is common sense.
    Great to know when referring to the university proper. However, even then that would be wrong. La. Tech is inappropriate usage no matter what. It will still be used because some people are too anal retentive to accept branding because they think they have the high ground.

I go back to a past statement I made along the lines that these people are stupid/ignorant/lazy/have agenda. We should not let those type of people dictate us.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I graduated from Louisiana Polytechnic Institute but is was alwasys called Tech in Louisiana. The legislature officially changed the name to Louisiana Tech University in 1970. I have never called it Lah Tech or El Aye Tech (although we jokingly referred to it as Jolly Lolly Poly when we attended). I am not too lazy to say I graduated from Louisiana Tech. Even if you write it La. it's pronounced Louisiana. No one goes to the University of Al or to Tx A&M (although some go to TAMU). So La. Tech is not inappropriate when writing, but is inappropriately pronounced Lah.

Now sports casters are really lazy and we can't control what they say. It really used to irk me to hear one of those women announcers say Lah Tech. Perhaps we should send them the correct way to refer to us. As someone wrote earlier the correct way is to say Louisiana Tech the first time and then shorten it to Tech for the remainder of the game or story.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I graduated from Louisiana Polytechnic Institute but is was alwasys called Tech in Louisiana. The legislature officially changed the name to Louisiana Tech University in 1970. I have never called it Lah Tech or El Aye Tech (although we jokingly referred to it as Jolly Lolly Poly when we attended). I am not too lazy to say I graduated from Louisiana Tech. Even if you write it La. it's pronounced Louisiana. No one goes to the University of Al or to Tx A&M (although some go to TAMU). So La. Tech is not inappropriate when writing, but is inappropriately pronounced Lah.

Now sports casters are really lazy and we can't control what they say. It really used to irk me to hear one of those women announcers say Lah Tech. Perhaps we should send them the correct way to refer to us. As someone wrote earlier the correct way is to say Louisiana Tech the first time and then shorten it to Tech for the remainder of the game or story.
    Shorten nicknames...

UConn = University of Connecticut
    UMass = University of Massachusetts
    Zags = Gonzaga
    Ole Miss = University of Mississippi
    Bama = Alabama
    Cal = University of California, Berkeley
    Mizzou = University of Missouri

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Shorten nicknames...

Zags = Gonzaga
    Bama = Alabama
    Those schools should be using postal codes...

UCT (pronounced UConn) = University of Connecticut
    UMA (pronounced UMass) = University of Massachusetts
    PA State (pronounced Penn State) = Pennsylvania State University
    Ole MS (pronounced Ole Miss) = University of Mississippi
    AL (pronounced Bama) = Alabama
    CA (pronounced Cal) = University of California, Berkeley
    MO (pronounced Mizzou) = University of Missouri

Last edited by Dawg06; 05-02-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post

Yeah--it's as if "those women" need to be reminded of their appropriate role in life.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    What do exceptions to the English language have to do with this? I'm not saying we have to following AP guidelines. What I am saying is that every credible news source in the United States uses the AP abbreviation La. Tech. No Tech standards manual will change that. The AP style guide is why people call us La Tech. I was told by people in our athletic department that the abbreviation for Louisiana is LA. That's how clueless and stubborn these people are.

La = Lah phonetically
    LA = El Aye phonetically

This is common sense.
    Good God son. What a bunch of crap.

It's amazing that you would call ANYONE else "clueless and stubborn". You just can't handle the fact that people DISAGREE with you. Grow up.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Shorten nicknames...

Zags = Gonzaga
    Bama = Alabama
    That's right. And just like those schools all CHOSE their nicknames, Louisiana Tech has CHOSEN to go by the nickname "LA Tech". Not La Tech. Not El Aye Tech. And not Louie Tech. It's got nothing to do with postal codes and Dawg06's nonsense.

It's LA Tech. Get on board. And shut the **ck up, '06.

+ Reply to Thread