+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Caddo Taxes

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Caddo Taxes

Don't live in Caddo; never have. Didn't even know that there was an election there last week-end.

But I saw a comment by a city councilman this morning regarding the parish keeping excess revenue from adjudicated property:

City Councilman Oliver Jenkins said he saw an email about the suit, but had not looked at it closely.
    “If people pay their taxes we wouldn’t really be having this discussion, right?” he said. “I mean, I guess maybe I’m too simplistic.”

Seemed rather callous to me considering that some properties were taken for $50.00 delinquent taxes and royalties generated $1,250.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...nclick_check=1

Then saw that with all that cash in reserve, they were still trying to pass a tax renewal on Saturday.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...nclick_check=1

I guess the voters got the message about the true source of all tax money. The tax renewal was rejected by a 77 percent vote.

http://staticresults.sos.la.gov/0503...032014_09.html

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Caddo Taxes

He's got a point about people paying their taxes. First, I am as anti-tax as the next fella, but there are better ways to deal with the issue. Like...elect conservatives who will try to keep taxes as low as possible. However, in the meantime, the tax laws on the books are THE LAW. I pay mine. Yet, I see tax cheats getting away with not paying theirs. The worst offenders are libtards, as we see over and over again in the news.

In the case of property taxes, here's what I'd like to see. Anyone failing to pay property taxes by December 31st should be given 90 days, with a small late fee, to settle up. But, on April 1st, if all the taxes are not paid, the sheriff seizes the property and an auction is held by May 1st. Period, end of story. The sheriff collects the proceeds to settle all outstanding taxes owed and the rest is distributed to the local taxing entities: the parish, the city, the school board.

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    He's got a point about people paying their taxes. First, I am as anti-tax as the next fella, but there are better ways to deal with the issue. Like...elect conservatives who will try to keep taxes as low as possible. However, in the meantime, the tax laws on the books are THE LAW. I pay mine. Yet, I see tax cheats getting away with not paying theirs. The worst offenders are libtards, as we see over and over again in the news.
    Except for some multimillionaires like Romney, of course.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

In the case of property taxes, here's what I'd like to see. Anyone failing to pay property taxes by December 31st should be given 90 days, with a small late fee, to settle up. But, on April 1st, if all the taxes are not paid, the sheriff seizes the property and an auction is held by May 1st. Period, end of story. The sheriff collects the proceeds to settle all outstanding taxes owed and the rest is distributed to the local taxing entities: the parish, the city, the school board.
    Why should the local taxing entities get the windfall? In normal foreclosure proceedings after the creditor has been paid (including expenses) the remainder goes to the former property owner. Of course in practice the only bidder is the creditor and he just bids what is owed, but if the sale is for too much less than the market value then it can be challenged.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Why should the local taxing entities get the windfall? In normal foreclosure proceedings after the creditor has been paid (including expenses) the remainder goes to the former property owner. Of course in practice the only bidder is the creditor and he just bids what is owed, but if the sale is for too much less than the market value then it can be challenged.
    Same reason if you put up property as collateral to a commercial lender then default on the loan. The lender gets everything.

Property owners would be more encouraged to not pay taxes if they knew they'd get some kind of payment out of the sale of the property. Point is to DISCOURAGE people to not pay their taxes. The threat of losing it all, while obviously it doesn't deter everyone (since people still fail to pay taxes) it does, at least, doesn't encourage the failure to pay.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

That is pure evil. Taxes are evil enough but they shouldn't be confiscatory. Here in Texas if you are over 65 you don't have to pay your taxes until you sell your home (although I believe most do - I do). Then they don't take any more than the taxes due. Further we have a law that says that if the property is not worth the taxes due there can be no recourse other than the property itself (which is not true of regular foreclosures, by the way). That prevents taxing authorities from setting exorbitant taxes on practically worthless property and then going after the ex owner if the property isn't worth the taxes. It also acts as a brake on tax foreclosures. But the actual practice is that if a property is sold for taxes it has probably already been abandoned by the owner meaning he couldn't sell it himself.

Now if you're talking about some rich guys you know who don't pay their taxes they would get caught when they finally sold the property. And generally the taxing authorities probably would wait until the taxes equaled to the value of the property.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    That is pure evil. Taxes are evil enough but they shouldn't be confiscatory. Here in Texas if you are over 65 you don't have to pay your taxes until you sell your home (although I believe most do - I do). Then they don't take any more than the taxes due. Further we have a law that says that if the property is not worth the taxes due there can be no recourse other than the property itself (which is not true of regular foreclosures, by the way). That prevents taxing authorities from setting exorbitant taxes on practically worthless property and then going after the ex owner if the property isn't worth the taxes. It also acts as a brake on tax foreclosures. But the actual practice is that if a property is sold for taxes it has probably already been abandoned by the owner meaning he couldn't sell it himself.

Now if you're talking about some rich guys you know who don't pay their taxes they would get caught when they finally sold the property. And generally the taxing authorities probably would wait until the taxes equaled to the value of the property.
    In Texas, if someone owes you money, you can file a lien on their property that prevents the property owner from selling his/her property until they've first settled their outstanding debt with you. Same goes for tax liens. The local appraisal district can file a tax lien on your property and you won't be able to sell it until you settle up with the local tax authorities.

Taxes are a necessary evil. Of course, I am in favor of as low of taxes as possible. And, I want the gov-mint bodies that "thrive" on taxes to be as efficient/effective as possible. Neither of those are happening now, at the local, state and especially federal level.

Tax cheats hurt everyone, especially other tax payers. In the case of property taxes...pay your taxes. And if you don't the sheriff should confiscate the property and auction it off. First, the local entities get the revenue, and secondly, HOPEFULLY, the new owner will pay his/her future property taxes.

In case you are still having trouble with this, try this...

if the local gov-mint entities fail to collect enough in tax revenues they will either increase the taxes, or reduce services. Then, those of us that do pay our taxes are still being bilked, but now we have to drive on crappy roads, watch the schools continue to deteriorate, etc...

Again, I want as LOW of taxes as possible!!! But there is a proper way to handle that. Mostly...via elections.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    In Texas, if someone owes you money, you can file a lien on their property that prevents the property owner from selling his/her property until they've first settled their outstanding debt with you. Same goes for tax liens. The local appraisal district can file a tax lien on your property and you won't be able to sell it until you settle up with the local tax authorities.
    Correcto. But they don't divvy up the proceeds if the property sells for more than the taxes as dawg80 suggests.

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

Caddo Parish taxes are the HIGHEST in the state of Louisiana.

Varsity Bulldog barkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of light barkly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DQDawg View Post
    And that is why the voters rejected this bond proposal !!!

Champ baw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond repute

On a semi-related tax topic...

as much as Shreveport spends, I believe its a revenue problem rather than a spending problem. There really aren't many frivolous categories in the budget. For a city our size there are not enough taxes generated via sales, property, etc to support the baseline services. Therefor a smaller portion of the population has to pay a higher percentage to provide the baseline amount of municipal services. There's not too much you could cut out of the budget that would really make a difference.

If Shreveport would A) work to increase the rate of revenue from its existing residents who currently are not carrying their weight and B) work hard to increase their industrial/commercial tax base I believe this city has a ton of potential to flourish.

I know Shreveport doesn't have many things Baton Rouge has and LSU, the capitol, and many refineries..etc but Baton Rouge proper has 230k residents with a city budget of $780,483,000. ($3,393 expense per resident)

Shreveport with our 200k residents has a city operating budget of $455,223,326. ($2,253 expense per resident)

I'm as fiscally conservative as it comes, but we need new/more money not less spending. As revenue catches up, tax millage should be tapered down accordingly. This is why Shreveport needs an educated workforce to keep attracting high tech jobs.

I've even compared and contrasted Shreveport to Bossier and found a disproportionate relationship between primary city vs. suburb. This SBC relationship is ATYPICAL compared to most urban vs. suburban locations. If you took back the 20-30k residents who have left Shreveport for Bossier/Benton/Haughton for whatever reason and reinserted them back into the Shreveport tax base, it comes close to solving the tax revenue problem in Shreveport.

Shreveport population and demographics

Population, 2012 estimate 201,867 (3.122 x larger)
    Housing units, 2010 88,253 (3.45 x larger)
    White alone, percent, 2010 (a) 41.2%
    Black or African American alone, percent, 2010 (a) 54.7%
    Homeownership rate, 2007-2011 56.9% ( -1.5% x smaller)
    Median value of owner-occupied housing units, 2007-2011 $118,500 (.878 x smaller)
    Median household income, 2007-2011 $36,803 (0 .791 x smaller)
    Total number of firms, 2007 16,715 (3.36 x larger)
    Persons per square mile, 2010 1,891.4

Bossier population and demographics

Population, 2012 estimate 64,655
    Housing units, 2010 25,579
    White alone, percent, 2010 (a) 65.4%
    Black or African American alone, percent, 2010 (a) 25.6%
    Homeownership rate, 2007-2011 58.4%
    Median value of owner-occupied housing units, 2007-2011 $135,300
    Median household income, 2007-2011 $46,518
    Total number of firms, 2007 4,974
    Persons per square mile, 2010 1,448.2

Shreveport sales tax (total)

2010 $112,864,000
    2011 $118,200,000
    2012 $116,100,000
    2013 $117,000,000 (2.551 x larger)

Bossier sales tax (total)

2010 $43,768,469
    2011 $44,972,900
    2012 $45,872,500

Shreveport property tax (total)

2010 $22,000,000
    2011 $24,500,000
    2012 $24,500,000
    2013 $25,000,000 (2.086 x larger) (3.362 x larger per housing unit)

Bossier Property tax (total)

2010 $11,212,808
    2011 $11,903,102
    2012 $11,985,750

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DQDawg View Post
    And that is one reason why many of those in the "minority" who seemed to carry the majority of the Caddo tax burden have moved to Bossier.

+ Reply to Thread