+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USMNT roster

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: USMNT roster

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    HUGE mistake cutting LD. Huge!
    Exactly!! dumb, dumb dumb.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

I don't know when in 18 it would terminate honestly. Like I said I would have loved to see him in the super sub role, but I don't think he would have been a 90 minute a game guy this time around. His experience would have been a great help for the young ones!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I've only watched in person this group (mostly this group) of USMNT twice. Once a couple of years ago in the Gold Cup semis vs. Panama. LD had flown in very late from Europe and didn't start. For about 70 mins Panama played bunker defense and the US had nothing up top to threaten a goal. The game seemed destined to go into OT at 0-0 and probably on to PKs. But finally! then coach Bradley inserted LD and everything changed! LD broke down the Panama defense with a great dribble move and drew a center defender to him leaving Dempsey man-to-man on the last defender. LD threaded a PERFECT pass and CD finished, the US won 1-0. The last 20+ mins of the match was mostly played on Panama's half and all because LD controlled the ball....POSESSION! Freddie Adu also came in late and did a great job as striker keeping pressure on Panama. Point is, LD changed the whole flow of the match. That's what great players do.

He has a good 25-30 mins in him for each of 3 matches in Brazil and could have been a difference-maker.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Not saying we are going to advance but I think some people are going to be shocked at how good of a player Michael Bradley actually is. IMO he got totally screwed in Italy. This guy can play. It's too bad Stuart Holden had his knee destroyed twice. He was becoming an amazing midfielder. Leading the EPL in tackles before his first injury. The 2 if them would have made an unbelievable combo at CM. Oh well. Maybe Green will shock all of us. Hell if Altidore gets 1 Goal in the World Cup he'll have matched his total for all of last season in England. I'm not enthusiastic right now folks.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Not saying we are going to advance but I think some people are going to be shocked at how good of a player Michael Bradley actually is. IMO he got totally screwed in Italy. This guy can play. It's too bad Stuart Holden had his knee destroyed twice. He was becoming an amazing midfielder. Leading the EPL in tackles before his first injury. The 2 if them would have made an unbelievable combo at CM. Oh well. Maybe Green will shock all of us. Hell if Altidore gets 1 Goal in the World Cup he'll have matched his total for all of last season in England. I'm not enthusiastic right now folks.
    While I firmly believe Landon Donovan is the greatest player in American soccer history, and Clint Dempsey was top notch himself (though why are we being sold that Landon at 32 has lost a couple of steps but Clint at 31 hasn't?), it's beyond clear that Michael Bradley is the best player in America today. You can clearly see how important he is to this team when he's on the field as compared to when he's not playing. I was one of those who wasn't a huge fan of Bradley's when he was a younger player, who bought into the nonsense that he was only playing because of his dad. Boy, was I wrong. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Holden had been able to stay healthy. Klinsmann for some reason just loves Jermaine Jones (who I am not a fan of). I just don't see anyone beating out Jones for that spot, even though Geoff Cameron would be a much better choice in my opinion.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Michael Bradley has developed into a world-class midfielder, no doubt about it. But, who else do we have?

I think JK is looking at a diamond alignment for the midfield with Bradley at the point (attacking midfielder) and Kyle "someone please bring scissors" Beckerman as the holding midfielder. That combo has worked and JK will employ it again. Problem is, who plays the wings?

Three players that definitely would have made my 23 are LD, EJ, and Clarence Goodson. Injuries, such as to Holden, eliminated others I would have placed on the final roster. Perhaps JK would have selected Holden as well, so can't blame him for that one. But, of the able-bodied, JK made some questionable choices.

I have very low expectations. Any success at all in Brazil will be a welcomed pleasant surprise.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

By all outward appearances JK seems to be selecting a roster to benefit him in 2018. Maybe he just thought the draw was too difficult in 2014 so he went with a relatively young squad?

Their collective lack of international caps is troubling for me.

That thought has crossed my mind as well. Maybe JK is thinking '18. Which is why I posed the question about his contract including the '18 WC Finals, or not.

Everyone knows we got a tough draw. JK called it the toughest, the "pool of death," but most pundits have it the 2nd toughest. Regardless....it's a tough draw! So, expectations dropped the day the pools were drawn. I remember Lexi Lalas' reaction...face in hand, ouch! JK knows no one is expecting much and so he has a convenient excuse now.

My expectations coming out of WC qualifying were high. I posted then two things had to happen: 1) had to stay 100% healthy, and 2) needed a favorable draw. We got neither of those. Of course, I never considered, even for a moment, that JK would make stupid roster selections....All bets are off!

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Michael Bradley has developed into a world-class midfielder, no doubt about it. But, who else do we have?

I think JK is looking at a diamond alignment for the midfield with Bradley at the point (attacking midfielder) and Kyle "someone please bring scissors" Beckerman as the holding midfielder. That combo has worked and JK will employ it again. Problem is, who plays the wings?

Three players that definitely would have made my 23 are LD, EJ, and Clarence Goodson. Injuries, such as to Holden, eliminated others I would have placed on the final roster. Perhaps JK would have selected Holden as well, so can't blame him for that one. But, of the able-bodied, JK made some questionable choices.

I have very low expectations. Any success at all in Brazil will be a welcomed pleasant surprise.
    My gut tells me Zusi starts on the right with Fabian Johnson on the left. I'm guessing Diskerud is the No. 2 on the right (though he's more of a classic central attacker) and Brad Davis is the No. 2 on the left. You'll never, EVER convince me that Landon Donovan wouldn't have been a better option on the left flank than Brad Davis.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

I don't think Altidore can get it done. He just can't create space. Dempsey is not as good as Donovan.

But with our back line our strikers don't matter much. (Too many holes back there)

Well...last night was fairly dismal. Dempsey is pulled after pulling something. Wondo had two good chances. Not much can be said about that match. Some of the youngsters are showing promise, but they're a long way from being WC-caliber. Maybe by '18, eh. Lackluster performance last night. We'll get a much better read Sunday vs. Turkey. Turkey is a decent side. And then Nigeria on June 7th.

Ya know....there are a lot of numbers one can use for a 23-man roster. You don't have to use the # 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_5EOJLYQxI

So, if by chance injuries rack the team and LD is called back prior to Brazil, does he get his number back?

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

D80,

JK's contract runs through the 18 finals. Makes sense, I wouldnt want to be the guy to get the job Jan 1 of a WC year, so they extended him through the next finals.

Yeah, it does make sense. Alexi Lalas asked JK, or someone close to klinsman, if he was just using '14 as a proving ground with an eye on '18. As expected klinsman denied that saying he was (in his opinion) fielding the best side possible to be successful now, in Brazil. Really? And putting all these unproven youngsters on the final roster is how JK thinks to get it done next month?

We'll see....

Ya know....there are a lot of numbers one can use for a 23-man roster. You don't have to use the # 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_5EOJLYQxI

So, if by chance injuries rack the team and LD is called back prior to Brazil, does he get his number back?
    Actually there are not.

Someone else mentioned the World Cup requires teams to use numbers 1-23 for their rosters, so someone has to be number 10 on the world cup roster.

+ Reply to Thread