+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Commencement

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Spring Commencement

The Tower Medallion is given out annually, correct? So how long have they known that someone was going to receive it? Like a whole year or something? (Sarcasm)

Phil and family are probably booked for appearances and events around 6 to 8 months in advance. Any takers on a bet that we called him and informed him of his selection to that honor within the past 60-90 days? Probably not too far off.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    The Tower Medallion is given out annually, correct? So how long have they known that someone was going to receive it? Like a whole year or something? (Sarcasm)

Phil and family are probably booked for appearances and events around 6 to 8 months in advance. Any takers on a bet that we called him and informed him of his selection to that honor within the past 60-90 days? Probably not too far off.
    So book him next year. Problem solved.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

That was my point. I don't know that you can blame Phil for not showing. Make sure you either offer to someone you know will be there, of give the famous guy plenty of heads up.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I am now a proud alum!! Very hot down there on the floor but worth it and I'll never forget that day. Managed not to cry during the Alma Mater, score one for Blue Dawg!
    Congrats to you BD!!! Spring 2014 was truly an awesome graduating class for Tech.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I am now a proud alum!! Very hot down there on the floor but worth it and I'll never forget that day. Managed not to cry during the Alma Mater, score one for Blue Dawg!

I'm not *too* upset at Phil's award. I think that 1) he only got it because all of a sudden he's famous 2) if he couldn't be there to receive the highest honor we can bestow, then give it to someone else who appreciates it, wait a year until he can actually show up.

A lot of the more liberal-leaning faculty and students were upset they gave the award to someone who had the nerve to quote from Romans during a sermon. But I don't wanna start that now.

I actually enjoyed DR's speech more than I expected. Was a little upset they couldn't get someone less ubiquitous to campus though.
    Congrats Blue Dawg! Seems like only yesterday that I was on that floor to get my diplomas. The thing about college life (like parenthood) is the days are long, but the years are short. I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your time at Tech.

I thought the passage Phil quoted was from 1st Corinthians, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, at least you didn't get Governor Blanco as the speaker at your graduation. It was about 20 minutes of "I was the first female to represent my district in the legislature...Lt. Governor...Governor, etc." The speech was 20 minutes, but seems like an hour.

It was nice and short.
    twss

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Thanks. A long list of great people have received this. I know a few personally. I'm sure many of them had controversial (Christian) views, but were not under constant and relentless liberal media scrutiny.
    It's typically not all that controversial to be a Christian in Ruston.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    ...at least you didn't get Governor Blanco as the speaker at your graduation. It was about 20 minutes of "I was the first female to represent my district in the legislature...Lt. Governor...Governor, etc." The speech was 20 minutes, but seems like an hour.
    Yes--she might have benefited from the saying "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Individuals who are the "first" anything have reason to be proud, in my opinion, but should let others sing their praises.

At least in that year we were treated to a better speech by the Tower Medallion recipient. Not sure he's always brought honor to the university either.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Non-Christian views are far more controversial than Christian ones in this part of the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    It's typically not all that controversial to be a Christian in Ruston.
    Yes, that was kind of my point. His name alone is controversial, not his views (in these parts).

Kinda wish Blanco would have had a precious engagement our year.

Not kind of, we should have scheduled another event for her to attend.

Is there a seminar for "I broke my arm patting myself on the back"?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

TNS finally found a way to print a negative story on our commencement. Intellectual elites seem to look for ways to get offended.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Kinda wish Blanco would have had a precious engagement our year.
    Last edited by Champ967; 05-27-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

TNS finally found a way to print a negative story on our commencement. Intellectual elites seem to look for ways to get offended.
    Using T1's definition in another thread, I believe these "Intellectual elites" are called bigots.
    "The definition of bigotry is: stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own."

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Using T1's definition in another thread, I believe these "Intellectual elites" are called bigots.
    "The definition of bigotry is: stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own."
    I think you'll find the intellectual elites will agree with most blacks. It's impossible for them to be bigots or racist. One must be white, Christian, and being a male always helps.

I think you'll find the intellectual elites will agree with most blacks. It's impossible for them to be bigots or racist. One must be white, Christian, and being a male always helps.
    Or upper class to wealthy, a GOP'er or Independent.

+ Reply to Thread