+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: W. Basketball. Techsters Land Marquette Transfers

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Re: W. Basketball. Techsters Land Marquette Transfers

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver-Dog View Post
    You need to go back to the beach and get your excitement level back up. That Vito is a chick magnet.
    Smiling, that's on the schedule for tomorrow!
    Thanks to AC and our friend that confirmed that Chase is not on board for the Techsters!
    It is good news from AC that Davenport is tho!
    Leave it to AC and Beaver Dawg to help me chill out a bit here!
    Thanks men!

Varsity Bulldog BruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by BlindDog View Post
    I have complete confidence in Frazier, Shelton, Jackson, Walters, Perry, Wingate, Langston, Andrews, Molton...
    Just thinking it would be a tall challenge for them alone! One injury or illness and it could mean big trouble for the Techsters!
    Not to mention, it was rumored that their might be another member of the current listed roster to be gone!
    Needless to say my excitement and faith is waning!
    As introduced on another thread, I am a lifetime Lady Vols fan whose been following Tyler's development since he first publicly stated he wanted to be a coach. Could never have imagined myself (back in the day when Pat Head's girls could never get past Leon's ladies) saying I'm now also a Lady Techsters fan! But the lasting joy of sports comes from the people and the relationships, not the swag.

I realize it's been a long, slow decline for longtime Lady Techster fans. So it's only natural for you to scale back your expectations to incremental improvement. (Most LV fans think their program has been on the same decline track since the Candace Parker years.)

But incremental improvement is not Tyler's plan. His first goal is to instill a championship culture within the entire program, and it's much easier to do that with the correct 8 players than with 13--or even 9 if that 9th player isn't totally committed to everything required to (re-)create that culture at LaTech. The won/lost record in Tyler Summitt's first season (TS#1 ?) is incidental to the ultimate goal. Recruits will not be dissuaded by next season's numbers, I assure you.

Tyler is going to attract people who want to be the best, for life. Don't worry about this year's roster. Just enjoy each opportunity to peek in at the construction site. Some days it won't appear anything is happening. But I promise you, things are changing for the better every day. Most of the changes will only be noted by a few inside the Athletic Department. But the improvements will accumulate and yield results soon enough where it can be seen--by everyone (and on ESPN--not KNOE).

My suggestion to all you recruiting insiders is to watch for (and post, please!) the first time Tyler and his staff go head-to-head with the "Great Orange Ogre" over a recruit. That's the moment when "tradition" and "reputation" will split into divergent paths. And the first time a recruit chooses the path to Ruston over I-75 to KnoxVegas--that's when LaTech roster watching becomes a national pastime!

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BruisedOrange View Post
    As introduced on another thread, I am a lifetime Lady Vols fan whose been following Tyler's development since he first publicly stated he wanted to be a coach. Could never have imagined myself (back in the day when Pat Head's girls could never get past Leon's ladies) saying I'm now also a Lady Techsters fan! But the lasting joy of sports comes from the people and the relationships, not the swag.

I realize it's been a long, slow decline for longtime Lady Techster fans. So it's only natural for you to scale back your expectations to incremental improvement. (Most LV fans think their program has been on the same decline track since the Candace Parker years.)

But incremental improvement is not Tyler's plan. His first goal is to instill a championship culture within the entire program, and it's much easier to do that with the correct 8 players than with 13--or even 9 if that 9th player isn't totally committed to everything required to (re-)create that culture at LaTech. The won/lost record in Tyler Summitt's first season (TS#1 ?) is incidental to the ultimate goal. Recruits will not be dissuaded by next season's numbers, I assure you.

Tyler is going to attract people who want to be the best, for life. Don't worry about this year's roster. Just enjoy each opportunity to peek in at the construction site. Some days it won't appear anything is happening. But I promise you, things are changing for the better every day. Most of the changes will only be noted by a few inside the Athletic Department. But the improvements will accumulate and yield results soon enough where it can be seen--by everyone (and on ESPN--not KNOE).

My suggestion to all you recruiting insiders is to watch for (and post, please!) the first time Tyler and his staff go head-to-head with the "Great Orange Ogre" over a recruit. That's the moment when "tradition" and "reputation" will split into divergent paths. And the first time a recruit chooses the path to Ruston over I-75 to KnoxVegas--that's when LaTech roster watching becomes a national pastime!
    Are you related to TS? :icon_wink:

Varsity Bulldog BruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Are you related to TS? :icon_wink:
    LOL--I see the logic in your deduction! But, no.

I guess one of the ironic reasons I'm such an admirer of Tyler is because, having known a lot of details about his growing-up years, I fully expected him to be a spoiled, worthless brat! I mean, every season since birth he'd been the only boy with the team. On the bus, on the plane, in the hotels, at practice, at home after practice, he was constantly with 13 young ladies (I'll resist passing a revue of the total babes who played on those teams) and a couple of graduate assistants... being passed around, snuggled, cuddled, played with, teased, and (the hardest thing for a boy to ever recover from with females) listened to.

Pat's father was a hard man (but fair), tough to please, demanding perfection. Pat gave her son all the benefit she derived from her father, then added affirmation, encouragement, and unquestioned love. And from all I've ever heard, Tyler got nothing but positive things from his Dad, too.

So I'm not surprised by Tyler's immense basketball and coaching knowledge, but I was surprised by the self-discipline and forethought he demonstrated to gain it.

I also questioned whether his Christian faith was just "part of the coaching package." But eventually I heard enough from enough trustworthy sources to convince me. He is as much caring shepherd of a small, select flock as he is head coach of a program.

My slowly arrived opinion is Tyler is the rarest of the real deals: a son of "the best" who learned everything "the best" could teach him, matched his mentor's work ethic, and then began building on that accumulation of knowledge and experience as the foundation for his own accomplishments.

Nothing in life is guaranteed, but I'm really eager now to see how this story unfolds. I want to watch as "all the promise in the world" takes center stage in the real world, with all its bad breaks, unfairness, and surprising plot twists. But then again... with his Mom's disease, I guess he's already faced that, too.

Don't expect to see one like this pass through soon again.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the board and thanks for that insight!

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That's hilarious!! Humor to go along with insight is not always found. Welcome to BBB, hope to hear from you often. If you get to Ruston for a Lady Techsters game you're welcomed to be my guest, front row with a good view of Tyler at work. And...I like the way he responded quickly and warmly to a welcome-to-Tech email I sent a while back.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

BruisedOrange? Black and blue and orange.....kinda Auburn colors there! j/k

Welcome to the board BO.

Always respected and admired Coach Pat S. and her LV. Yes....there was a little "hate" mixed in at times, but only in a competitive way, nothing vicious. Unlike Geno and UCONN who I simply despise, yuck!

Keep posting here and thanks for joining BB&B.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    BruisedOrange? Black and blue and orange.....kinda Auburn colors there! j/k

Welcome to the board BO.

Always respected and admired Coach Pat S. and her LV. Yes....there was a little "hate" mixed in at times, but only in a competitive way, nothing vicious. Unlike Geno and UCONN who I simply despise, yuck!

Keep posting here and thanks for joining BB&B.
    Amen!

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

I guess one of the ironic reasons I'm such an admirer of Tyler is because, having known a lot of details about his growing-up years, I fully expected him to be a spoiled, worthless brat! I mean, every season since birth he'd been the only boy with the team. On the bus, on the plane, in the hotels, at practice, at home after practice, he was constantly with 13 young ladies (I'll resist passing a revue of the total babes who played on those teams) and a couple of graduate assistants... being passed around, snuggled, cuddled, played with, teased, and (the hardest thing for a boy to ever recover from with females) listened to.

Pat's father was a hard man (but fair), tough to please, demanding perfection. Pat gave her son all the benefit she derived from her father, then added affirmation, encouragement, and unquestioned love. And from all I've ever heard, Tyler got nothing but positive things from his Dad, too.

So I'm not surprised by Tyler's immense basketball and coaching knowledge, but I was surprised by the self-discipline and forethought he demonstrated to gain it.

I also questioned whether his Christian faith was just "part of the coaching package." But eventually I heard enough from enough trustworthy sources to convince me. He is as much caring shepherd of a small, select flock as he is head coach of a program.

My slowly arrived opinion is Tyler is the rarest of the real deals: a son of "the best" who learned everything "the best" could teach him, matched his mentor's work ethic, and then began building on that accumulation of knowledge and experience as the foundation for his own accomplishments.

Nothing in life is guaranteed, but I'm really eager now to see how this story unfolds. I want to watch as "all the promise in the world" takes center stage in the real world, with all its bad breaks, unfairness, and surprising plot twists. But then again... with his Mom's disease, I guess he's already faced that, too.

Hello and welcome to BBB!
    Your enthusiasm is shared with many of the Ruston loyal, and Fans of the Techsters Women’s BBall program!
    There will be plenty of pressure on our new young coach here and we all are wishing him great success!
    Although patience is not something you will find here when it comes to the Techsters!
    A Championship mentality and winning attitude will only get you so far these days on the court in a Division I NCAA women’s basketball game…
    Until coach Summitt land some elite players we can’t expect to be an elite program, that is just how the game of basketball works either in the Men’s or women’s games these days!
    Tyler is very fortunate, to have this awesome group of Techsters to coach in his rookie Head coach season; I guess you notice that most of the folks here that support the program are always proud of the gals that wear the Techsters uniform!
    I admire Coach Summitt strong conviction to his faith, but have to worry if he is going to consider his team his flock?
    And whether or not a player that shares his conviction is the only player he will be recruiting?
    We have already lost 2 Techsters and rumored of a third to come and seems that we only were able to keep 1 of the 5 in-coming freshman, that was rated the highest class to sign with the program in some time!
    I for one was hoping that our new coaching staff would add some depth to the 2014-15 team, and know that is still a good possibility that it might happen!
    It’s just the suspense that is killing me here!

Champ bulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Just how many eligible players do we have

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

He sounds like a perfect fit!!

Big Dog ACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogbacker2 View Post
    Just how many eligible players do we have
    By my count we have 10 (excluding recruits)

Varsity Bulldog kj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by ACSlatech1994 View Post
    By my count we have 10 (excluding recruits)
    That's what I was thinking too. I haven't heard anything about Murdock or Davenport decommiting, so we should have both of those.

I know it would be wonderful to see this staff pull a couple of big name recruits out of thin air for this season, but its completely unrealistic! By the time the staff was hired it was already close to the late signing period. Any quality player would already have their mind made up or have been aggressively recruited by other programs. Tyler already stated that he is not going to sign players just to fill roster spots, he wants players who can contribute and have good character. I'm more interested to see who we can sign for next year, I have high hopes that this staff can bring in some talent.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by kj77 View Post
    That's what I was thinking too. I haven't heard anything about Murdock or Davenport decommiting, so we should have both of those.

I know it would be wonderful to see this staff pull a couple of big name recruits out of thin air for this season, but its completely unrealistic! By the time the staff was hired it was already close to the late signing period. Any quality player would already have their mind made up or have been aggressively recruited by other programs. Tyler already stated that he is not going to sign players just to fill roster spots, he wants players who can contribute and have good character. I'm more interested to see who we can sign for next year, I have high hopes that this staff can bring in some talent.
    Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by BlindDog View Post
    Hello and welcome to BBB!

Until coach Summitt land some elite players we can’t expect to be an elite program, that is just how the game of basketball works either in the Men’s or women’s games these days!

I admire Coach Summitt strong conviction to his faith, but have to worry if he is going to consider his team his flock?
    And whether or not a player that shares his conviction is the only player he will be recruiting?
    First, thank you to everyone for the warm BBB welcome! You've created a much better than average atmosphere on your forum.

BlindDog, I just wanted to clarify, I did not mean to imply that CTS would proselytize his players or staff. I simply meant that he cares about the whole person, and will look out for them like a shepherd protects his flock. Tyler's concern for the well-being of his people will go beyond their athletics and academics. I was a college campus minister when I was younger, and the in-house phrase would have been, "He has a shepherd's heart."

An article for ESPN noted that "...Tyler felt he had a good understanding of the psyche of female athletes, and how their sense of self-esteem/self-confidence is critical to performance. He mentions a saying that while not universally true, probably has truth to it: Men have to play well to feel good about themselves, whereas women have to feel good about themselves to play well."

And you're absolutely right, BlindDog, about the necessity of recruiting talent. Seems to me, with all the development camps, AAU ball, etc., there's even less margin for improvement in the freshmen you bring in. So your players have to arrive with their size, speed, athleticism, and skill sets ready to compete at the level you aspire to.

There's a story familiar to every Lady Vols fan: Pat lost her Tennessee coaching debut (age 22) against Mercer. After the game she called her Dad.
    "Did you win?" he asked.
    "No, sir, we got beat," Pat replied.
    "By how much?"
    "One point."
    After a pause, her Dad said, "Let me tell you just one thing, Trisha: Don't take donkeys to the Kentucky Derby."

+ Reply to Thread