+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Starts Today!!!

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Re: World Cup Starts Today!!!

Sure the world cup gets a ton of viewers.. I would like to know how the MLS stacks up to the big three in American sports. I don't think the NBA and MLB are as unpopular as you guys want it to be.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    Sure the world cup gets a ton of viewers.. I would like to know how the MLS stacks up to the big three in American sports. I don't think the NBA and MLB are as unpopular as you guys want it to be.
    The MLS has a long term future because it puts fans in the stands. I seem to recall it started at a similar time as the WNBA. The WNBA beat the MLS in TV sets but it has teams folding and without the big bankroll of the NBA would fold on its own (honestly I think the ABL if it had been left on its own would have been the way to gauge the viability of a womens basketball league). I don't think you will see that with the MLS. The MLS has room to grow and likely will continue to.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

I've watched World Cup soccer with mild to moderate interest for many years but I've never heard the answer to the question below and I really don't care enough to google it.

Is a running clock with stoppage time added at the end of each half standard in all soccer games?

It seems like it would be better to stop the clock during a "stoppage" and then restart it during play. That way everyone playing and watching would know exactly when the game clock gets to 00:00.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    I've watched World Cup soccer with mild to moderate interest for many years but I've never heard the answer to the question below and I really don't care enough to google it.

Is a running clock with stoppage time added at the end of each half standard in all soccer games?

It seems like it would be better to stop the clock during a "stoppage" and then restart it during play. That way everyone playing and watching would know exactly when the game clock gets to 00:00.
    I was a youth soccer referee, and we used the official FIFA rule book. There is no scorekeeper or clock operator in soccer like there is in other sports. In soccer, official score and time are kept by the center referee. Only NCAA soccer counts down to zero without stoppage time, and the clock never stops. All other levels from youth to high school (LHSAA) to professional, the clock counts up with stoppage time added at the end. The center referee is supposed to have a second watch to record stoppage time, but at the lower levels the center referee just estimates it. At the pro level, there is always a fourth official to show how much stoppage time is added. At the lower levels, nobody but the center referee knows how much stoppage he's adding. You play until you hear the whistle blow.

BTW there is an MLS game on ESPN2 right now with over 64K in attendance. Sellout in Seattle.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 07-14-2014 at 01:06 AM.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is so easily true. Period!

LEBRON: World Cup 'bigger' than NBA finals...

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    In the 12-24 age bracket, pro soccer has already surpassed the NBA in popularity. For the young American demographic, pro soccer is #2 in popularity behind the NFL.
    *amongst white people
    I'd argue that's not the only demographic. In fact, the African-American community is probably the only young demographic where basketball remains more popular than soccer.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    I'd argue that's not the only demographic. In fact, the African-American community is probably the only young demographic where basketball remains more popular than soccer.
    Soccer is also #1 amongst the fastest growing demographic in the country.

I'd still put it behind NFL, NBA, NCAAF, and NCAAB....but I could be wrong.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

I just don't really see the demographic the majority of athletes come from changing their love of basketball and football over to soccer.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post

You can also put it (professional soccer) behind NASCAR, horse racing, Golf, Tennis.

Now a once-every-four-year quasi-Olympic competition in which nationalism unifies the competing countries, you get a nice viewer$hip bump in the US.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post

I don't break those into four sports. Those are two sports -- football and basketball. Soccer is the third sport.

I just don't really see the demographic the majority of athletes come from changing their love of basketball and football over to soccer.
    People didn't see the dwindling popularity of baseball coming either, but it came.

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    You can also put it (professional soccer) behind NASCAR, horse racing, Golf, Tennis.

Now a once-every-four-year quasi-Olympic competition in which nationalism unifies the competing countries, you get a nice viewer$hip bump in the US.
    NASCAR's popularity, both at the track and on TV, has been dwindling for several years now. The other three you listed are niche sports. People watch three horse races, four golf tournaments and four tennis tournaments. The minor events don't attract nearly the interest.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

People didn't see the dwindling popularity of baseball coming either, but it came.
    Get back to me when American soccer has 30 teams nationwide playing 81 home games a season and still averages 30,000 fans per game across the sport. Baseball is a long way from being ill.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

They took the controversy out of baseball when they cracked down on PEDs. Ratings down.

Tried to "clean up" NASCAR. Took away the drama. Ratings down.

Tiger out of golf. Ratings down.

Note: TV Ratings and Attendance are different subjects.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

NASCAR's popularity, both at the track and on TV, has been dwindling for several years now. The other three you listed are niche sports. People watch three horse races, four golf tournaments and four tennis tournaments. The minor events don't attract nearly the interest.
    World Cup is niche. They don't even do it every year.

+ Reply to Thread