+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Starts Today!!!

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: World Cup Starts Today!!!

Even 80 can understand this.:icon_wink:
    http://vivas.us/en/world-cup-2014-in...-is-hilarious/
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Some of you naysayers need to get out on a soccer field and play....even a pick-up game vs. some real soccer players.....and see for yourself. Or, just have someone kick you as hard as they can square on your ankle bone. Go ahead, I double dare you, try it.

Is there flopping? Yep, and the refs have gotten much better at ignoring it and motioning for the flopper to get up. Is there flopping in basketball? Yep, trying to draw a charge. Is there flopping in football? Yep, the punter mostly trying to draw a penalty.

I have scars on my legs from being ripped open by someone's cleats. And, I still flinch every time I see a player get kicked in the ankle or have his instep stomped and remember just how much that hurts. Soccer players develop muscular, powerful legs and when one kicks...well, it's a lot like a highly-trained karate black belt delivering a blow to bone! But, don't take my word for it. Try it yourself. Go ahead...

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I did. 50 years ago when the national PE movement encouraged "trying out soccer" at the Hot Springs, Ark., YMCA. We had a fabulous program director.

It didn't take. However, football, basketball, baseball, track, and competitive swimming did. (I wish we had lacrosse to be honest with you).

I am sorry.

Actually, today, I keep up with soccer through you, 80. So, keep on keeping on. My biggest compliment I can give you is: I READ YOUR STUFF.

Carry on.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Well, thanks.

I am NOT proud of this, but I once broke the leg of a Jamaican Olympic sprinter. He had been in the '76 Olympics, a 200 or 400 meter runner. He was attending Grambling and we played them twice a year, home and home. It was a rainy day, field was a mess. And he was so dang fast, I had to give ground when he approached on the dribble else he would blow by me. Well, in the 2nd half, the rain had been so hard puddles formed on the field. He tried to push the ball past me, but the ball spun in the puddle, as he cut back to regain possession I made a sliding tackle to knock the ball away. Somehow we got tangled and I heard this loud "snap!" It was not a pretty sight. They told me had designs on making the 1980 Jamaican Olympic team. This was about 1978 or 79. I don't know if he recovered and made the team or not. As you recall, the USA boycotted the '80 games in Moscow.

Our Tech club soccer team was pretty good back then. We beat the likes of Florida State, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Auburn and some others in tourneys. We always participated in a tourney in Mobile and one hosted by the Univ of West Florida in Pensacola. I have an old jersey from back then still.....for some reason it's shrunk a whole lot. Don't know what happened to it....

Okay, now you're chunking . . . and not preaching.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Great story D80!! Love watching good soccer and of course the World Cup. And I only played co-ed soccer with my wife in our late 30's. I tore my rotor cuff on the same play I shattered a guys eye socket. I was terrible I might add.
    But I still hate the obvious "he hurt me" flopping in soccer.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

This not the year for some of the traditional favorites...

Spain, England, ...

Yep Spain is gone! That is a surprise.

The Netherlands and Germany have looked the most impressive, thus far, but that can change fairly quickly.

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Well, thanks.

I am NOT proud of this, but I once broke the leg of a Jamaican Olympic sprinter. He had been in the '76 Olympics, a 200 or 400 meter runner. He was attending Grambling and we played them twice a year, home and home. It was a rainy day, field was a mess. And he was so dang fast, I had to give ground when he approached on the dribble else he would blow by me. Well, in the 2nd half, the rain had been so hard puddles formed on the field. He tried to push the ball past me, but the ball spun in the puddle, as he cut back to regain possession I made a sliding tackle to knock the ball away. Somehow we got tangled and I heard this loud "snap!" It was not a pretty sight. They told me had designs on making the 1980 Jamaican Olympic team. This was about 1978 or 79. I don't know if he recovered and made the team or not. As you recall, the USA boycotted the '80 games in Moscow.

Our Tech club soccer team was pretty good back then. We beat the likes of Florida State, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Auburn and some others in tourneys. We always participated in a tourney in Mobile and one hosted by the Univ of West Florida in Pensacola. I have an old jersey from back then still.....for some reason it's shrunk a whole lot. Don't know what happened to it....
    We went to the tournament in Mobile also great time!
    We also fought couple of times playing Grambling - now I understand why they hated us

I posted previously about one of our games at Grambling when Coach Eddie Robinson was there. Well, of course since it was in the '70's. Anyway, we had a 7PM kickoff at Grambling and we get there about 5:30. The GSU football team is on the field practicing. The Grambling soccer team and staff are seated in the stands. The field had not been marked for the game, the goals were pushed off to the side. We go over to the Grambling team and they say they'll get the field set after the FB team is finished. When will that be, we ask. Oh, we might be ready to start by 8 or 8:30. Hmmmm..

So, we get a ball and go off to the side, just trying to stay relaxed and loose. Coach Rob walks over to us....introduces himself, as if we didn't know who he was.....strikes up a casual conversation, asks us how our season is going (we were 8-1, a loss to 5th ranked SMU our only blemish). Then he asks about our game that night. We tell him the situation. He says, oh, that won't do. He hollers toward his asst coaches to move the FB team to another field, then he goes over to the Grambling soccer team and tells them they can start prepping the field for the game. He comes back by and says, "after tonite, good luck with the rest of your season."

How many FB coaches would have done that? A classy gentleman.

We beat GSU again, that night it was something like 5-1 as I recall.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Costa Rica takes down Italy.

Mexico still in the hunt.

U.S. could clinch with a win over Portugal.

Who says CONCACAF is second rate soccer?

Honduras is now 0-5-3 all-time in the WC finals. Scored today for the first time since 1982 WC. Other than H CONCACAF is doing well.

France joins Holland and Germany on the "who has impressed" list.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Our national soccer team is about the same as if Manu Ginobili, Dirk, Andrea Bargniani, and Pau Gasol were on the Olympic basketball team. I hate we have to get Germans to be able to compete. What's the pride in that?

Germany with a draw against Ghana.

We are in with a win over Portugal.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

El bicolor is still alive. Los Catrachos crush Switzerland and France crushes Ecuador to send Honduras to the final 16.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Honduras is now 0-5-3 all-time in the WC finals. Scored today for the first time since 1982 WC. Other than H CONCACAF is doing well.

France joins Holland and Germany on the "who has impressed" list.

+ Reply to Thread