+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg Goff on the recruiting trail

Big Dog TrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant future

Re: Greg Goff on the recruiting trail

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    For what it is worth I agree with you. Obviously there are exceptions to the general rule which you have yourself acknowledged.
    Thank you. I believe I have a great deal of knowledge about the college game and was just stating my opinion. There are exceptions, but small school kids who have a great deal of talent, should want to play the best competition in my opinion.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBulldog1962 View Post
    Thank you. I believe I have a great deal of knowledge about the college game and was just stating my opinion. There are exceptions, but small school kids who have a great deal of talent, should want to play the best competition in my opinion.
    IMHO, the glorious past of Louisiana Tech athletics was made on the backs of 1A - 3A H.S. young women and men with heart, drive and determination. These athletes had something to prove and it showed on the field and court. These were often the very best athletes from the smaller towns across Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. And our excellent looking future will include many these same student athletes from smaller schools as well as those from 4A - 6A programs.

Puppy bulldog1979 is a jewel in the roughbulldog1979 is a jewel in the roughbulldog1979 is a jewel in the roughbulldog1979 is a jewel in the roughbulldog1979 is a jewel in the roughbulldog1979 is a jewel in the roughbulldog1979 is a jewel in the roughbulldog1979 is a jewel in the roughbulldog1979 is a jewel in the roughbulldog1979 is a jewel in the roughbulldog1979 is a jewel in the rough

Small school kids % chance of making "it" (getting playing time and not getting cut) once they have earned a scholarship is for hitters:23% pitchers 44% for big schools it is hitters: 41% and pitchers 55%. It was a study done by Baseball America back in 2007 I have the magazine it was in but I can't find it online as of now.

Puppy Eagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the rough

FYI. 4 of Jake Slaughter's Home Runs came on 4A and 5A Teams. OCS only plays 5A and 4A teams until district. The last week of their season they played 3 of the Top 4 teams in 4A. It's not like playing at most 1A schools. He hit one on the #2 ranked Benton Tigers that went about 425 feet. On the pitcher that was signed by NSU. College Coaches do not even go to any high school games now to evaluate players. It's all done in the Summer where the real talent is and the pitchers all can throw. I heard Slaughter hit a Grand Slam against a USM signed pitcher out of East Ascension in New Orleans deep over the fence with wood. There is a reason he has been offered by all the SEC schools within 5 hours of Monroe. 6'1 185lb as a 10th grader. Give me a break. OCS will have the best baseball team the next 2 years of any class in North Louisiana and top 10 in any class in state

Big Dog TrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    FYI. 4 of Jake Slaughter's Home Runs came on 4A and 5A Teams. OCS only plays 5A and 4A teams until district. The last week of their season they played 3 of the Top 4 teams in 4A. It's not like playing at most 1A schools. He hit one on the #2 ranked Benton Tigers that went about 425 feet. On the pitcher that was signed by NSU. College Coaches do not even go to any high school games now to evaluate players. It's all done in the Summer where the real talent is and the pitchers all can throw. I heard Slaughter hit a Grand Slam against a USM signed pitcher out of East Ascension in New Orleans deep over the fence with wood. There is a reason he has been offered by all the SEC schools within 5 hours of Monroe. 6'1 185lb as a 10th grader. Give me a break. OCS will have the best baseball team the next 2 years of any class in North Louisiana and top 10 in any class in state
    Easy buddy...no one said Mr. Slaughter wasn't worthy of the offer or can't play at a high level. It was a general statement made that small school baseball is not the quality of the big schools. Now the best baseball team in North Louisiana the next two years at the 1A level...they better not lose a game.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

OCS will have the best baseball team the next 2 years of any class in North Louisiana and top 10 in any class in state
    Calm down

Champ BIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really nice

It's been a while since I have been on this sight, Eagle, thanks for the kind words about my son. Larger School vs Small School is a good debate. I agree that from what I have heard from College Baseball Recruiters is all their evaluation is done in the Summer at the Showcase Baseball Events. They can't get a true read from any High School Games therefore they do not attend many. I like Coach Goff and think he is going to do a great job at La Tech.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BIG DOG28 View Post
    It's been a while since I have been on this sight, Eagle, thanks for the kind words about my son. Larger School vs Small School is a good debate. I agree that from what I have heard from College Baseball Recruiters is all their evaluation is done in the Summer at the Showcase Baseball Events. They can't get a true read from any High School Games therefore they do not attend many. I like Coach Goff and think he is going to do a great job at La Tech.
    It must be VERY expensive to attend these events. Our last coach said he didn't have enough money.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

It is true that most evaluations are done during the summer now, but 'travel ball' has become so watered down that's it's even hard to do that. A lot of kids are seen at camps too.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

I heard he likes CoCola Icees as well

Champ BIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really nice

Gas and Hamburger. Maybe a hotel room. There are a lot of small college school coaches at everyone of them. A coach can go for a full Saturday or Sunday and see a lot of players.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Great to have the young Slaughter at TECH!! And great to have BD28 back on BB&B even for a few posts.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    It would be silly to say small school players can't make it at the D1 or pro level. Too many have made it to say otherwise.

It is my personal opinion, though, that it has to be harder to evaluate players in the smaller schools. The reason I moved my boys from Cedar Creek to Ruston was because I was going to both of their games for several years and I saw a vast difference in the level if play. It would seem to reason that the better the level of play, the easier it would be to evaluate the players.

Since then, two college coaches have told me that it is harder to evaluate the players at the smaller schools, but, of course, not impossible.

I think Jake makes it wherever he plays. It wouldn't matter to me if he played at Quitman.
    I think summer ball is changing this. The players who can really play can play at a high level if they want to. We've got a kid in our area -- Brennan Maddox, who plays for Fairview -- who committed to LSU before his sophomore season. How is a Class B kid who doesn't play against great competition getting SEC offers? He went to camp at LSU and threw 94, and he plays for Marucci Elite. There are opportunities to be seen for small-school players.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BIG DOG28 View Post
    Gas and Hamburger. Maybe a hotel room. There are a lot of small college school coaches at everyone of them. A coach can go for a full Saturday or Sunday and see a lot of players.
    Were you not a fan of the previous staff? Just curious. And did they pursue your son?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    Were you not a fan of the previous staff? Just curious. And did they pursue your son?
    Why do you want to get personal with this discussion?

I'd say he stuck with the previous staff longer than most. He is probably the reason one of our promising players from last year is now at Tech.

It is well known that Tulane made the first play by giving him an early offer.

Apparently it bothers you that the previous staff did not attend high school show cases throughout the state like other college coaches have done.

+ Reply to Thread