+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles Tech

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Warning Los Angeles Tech

Guy looks at my #LATech logo on my shirt & asks, is that Los Angeles Tech? How did he miss the huge state of Louisiana on my shirt? #geography
    https://twitter.com/karikookaburra/s...41912859787264

Last edited by Dawg06; 07-14-2014 at 01:46 AM.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Los Angeles Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Guy looks at my #LATech logo on my shirt & asks, is that Los Angeles Tech? How did he miss the huge state of Louisiana on my shirt? #geography

This is why to simplify marketing we will release a small pamphlet with every piece of paraphernalia explaining that its not really LA Tech, its La Tech or really Louisiana Tech but we spell it LA Tech because no one knows why. Haha. That's a better solution than, yknow, not doing it.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

Nah. If somebody sees the LAstateTECH logo, and misses it, that's fine. Rare, but it happens. Stupid people are everywhere.

Now, the LA Tech usage, well, that's a different animal.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who confuses La Tech with LATTC should have his head examined. I kinda feel the same about someone who uses LA Tech though. :icon_wink:

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Correct me if I am wrong, but according to the USPS, the abbreviation for Louisiana is LA in all caps. Los Angeles is L.A. (notice the periods after each letter) Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver-Dog View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but according to the USPS, the abbreviation for Louisiana is LA in all caps. Los Angeles is L.A. (notice the periods after each letter) Why is that so hard to comprehend?
    Because sometimes a logo just looks better without periods.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

LA is a two-letter postal code, not an abbreviation. These two-letter postal codes were created in the 1960s to make room for zip codes on envelopes. For all states and territories, each of the two letters is pronounced separately. Hence, LA Tech is pronounced "El A" Tech. "El A" is the phonetic abbreviation for Los Angeles and thus, the confusion. In this digital age, periods in abbreviations have disappeared because a period is a code for something else. And like Woof said, periods aren't used in logos either.

The abbreviation for Louisiana is La. That's the abbreviation used for Louisiana in every newspaper in America dating back to well before Tech was even founded. Hence, how we became "Lah" Tech.

Regardless, we need to visually present our name how we want it to be pronounced instead of unnecessarily inserting confusion. Until we fix this problem, more and more people will start referring to us as "El A" Tech, and that's contrary to the intent of our rebranding effort.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 07-15-2014 at 02:58 AM.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

LA Lakers
    LA Kings
    LA Clippers
    LA Tech

That's just human nature.

Nobody speaks in "postal code," which is why he Florida Gators don't use FL, the Cal Bears don't use CA, and the Missouri Tigers don't use MO. if you saw someone wearing a blue t-shirt with "CT" on the front, you wouldn't automatically assume that it was referring to UCONN.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

My first exposure to Lah Tech was in 1972..and it was spelled LA Tech.

It must be the off-season.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

This is such a minor issue to me. A fool can see the state of Louisiana, when the abbreviation is used most of the time. LA is Louisiana and L.A. is in California.

I still use La. most of the time, but I have never met anyone that confused LA Tech with anything other than Louisiana. The only confusion I get is if I just use Tech and that is just the question of if it is Louisiana, Virginia, Texas, or Georgia. Gives me the chance to say it is "THE TECH".

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    It must be the off-season.
    Off-season? Dawg06 complains about this ALL YEAR!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Whose time is too valuable for 3 extra syllables?

Louisiana Tech
    Problem solved.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I have to say I was disappointed that our athletic folks chose "LA Tech", I've spelled it LaTech way before they went with that standard.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Whose time is too valuable for 3 extra syllables?

Louisiana Tech
    Problem solved.
    That's the way I say it.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

LA is a two-letter postal code, not an abbreviation. These two-letter postal codes were created in the 1960s to make room for zip codes on envelopes. For all states and territories, each of the two letters is pronounced separately. Hence, LA Tech is pronounced "El A" Tech. "El A" is the phonetic abbreviation for Los Angeles and thus, the confusion. In this digital age, periods in abbreviations have disappeared because a period is a code for something else. And like Woof said, periods aren't used in logos either.

The abbreviation for Louisiana is La. That's the abbreviation used for Louisiana in every newspaper in America dating back to well before Tech was even founded. Hence, how we became "Lah" Tech.

Regardless, we need to visually present our name how we want it to be pronounced instead of unnecessarily inserting confusion. Until we fix this problem, more and more people will start referring to us as "El A" Tech, and that's contrary to the intent of our rebranding effort.
    Maybe others do, but I don't pronounce postal codes in that way. Is it common for people to say, Fresno, C-A? or Jackson, M-S? Fargo, N-D? Maybe, with Pennsylvania (P-A), you hear that often, but I don't, so much, with other states' codes.

Just because LA is a postal code doesn't mean our use of it is as a postal code. Maybe it's an abbreviation we've created/adopted. Our logo is actually LATECH, so should that be pronounced L.A.T.E.C.H.?

+ Reply to Thread