+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems Accommodating Freshman Class

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

Problems Accommodating Freshman Class

Evidently, the size of the incoming freshmen class is causing a serious housing shortage on campus. My friend's son is supposed to start Tech in BioMed Engr. this fall, and they have been notified that their housing request can not be accommodated, and they should look for off campus housing. They live in Seattle, so this is a real problem for them. Phone calls to places like University Crossing are showing no vacancies.
    According to the housing people nobody took into account the infrastructure needs of a 70% increase in these students. They said they are going to lose students because of this housing issue, particularly out of state students who can't physically be there to search. The housing people appear to be upset with the situation. They literally suggested her son stay in a hotel and hope something comes up. They said they will be doing bed checks to make sure all rooms on campus are being utilized.

If anybody has any ideas for where her son could live, please feel free to post. He does not have a car. I feel really bad about this situation as I really touted Tech to these folks.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: Problems Accommodating Freshman Class

My buddy went to Baylor and a big portion of his class had to get off campus apt. That was back in early 2000s.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    My buddy went to Baylor and a big portion of his class had to get off campus apt. That was back in early 2000s.
    Same with my son years ago at Baylor (after 1 year at TECH) and very common with many other universities.
    BuzDawg73 there are real-estate companies and rent property locators in Ruston that will help your friend get a place for his son.
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 07-31-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Does Tech still have the rule about how guys and girls have to have so many hours before they can move off campus?

It sounds like Tech needs to offer some incentives to help move some upper classmen off campus.

Maybe they could do a quick renovation to get Hut back in livable condition, assuming Hut hasn't been demolished?

This is a great problem to have, but I hate we are losing students over this.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Does Tech still have the rule about how guys and girls have to have so many hours before they can move off campus?

It sounds like Tech needs to offer some incentives to help move some upper classmen off campus.

Maybe they could do a quick renovation to get Hut back in livable condition, assuming Hut hasn't been demolished?

This is a great problem to have, but I hate we are losing students over this.
    I think so but it can be and is waived in many circumstances.

Hut is still around and to my knowledge has never been livable.

I think they knew this problem was coming. Hell, I knew it was coming.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Hmmmm ... whole situation seems pretty short-sighted on someone's part.

If only Tech had some extra buildings ... Even something old and/or ugly might do in a pinch, esp. if it were already configured for housing.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I think so but it can be and is waived in many circumstances.

Hut is still around and to my knowledge has never been livable.

I think they knew this problem was coming. Hell, I knew it was coming.
    It hasn't been that long ago since students lived in Hut. Maybe ~5 years?

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Just claim he is from central America and he will not only get free housing but probably get his tuition paid for too!
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Big Dog Lone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of light Lone Star Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    My nephew just found out this week that he doesn't have a dorm room at Baylor.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in the original Hale Hall with two roommates my freshman year. No A/C and steam radiators for heat. Kids are just spoiled today.

Varsity Bulldog larhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of light

Call the local real estate companies in Ruston. They are the acting rental agent for many clients with apts for rent.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

i have a house for sale

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by larhob View Post
    Call the local real estate companies in Ruston. They are the acting rental agent for many clients with apts for rent.
    That's often tough to do when you're out-of-town because some won't rent/lease without meeting the applicant. I know a number of students who were trying to move to Ruston and 2 local realty companies would not even allow a substitute to complete the paperwork and pay for them.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

This is so common at other universities. My oldest went to University of Texas and it was stated up front that he would need to find his own housing from the beginning. I think the short-sightedness is on the part of communication to incoming students. Most Universities let them know from the beginning.

Champ odysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the rough

I rented a house in Ruston for a couple years, and I never had to meet with the landlord. I think she has a dozen or so properties in Ruston. I can PM her info if needed.

+ Reply to Thread